||This article possibly contains original research. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
1962 (age 54–55)
|Area(s)||Cartoonist, Writer, Penciller, Inker, Editor, Colourist|
|Demi the Demoness, Grimtooth's Traps, Nuclear War Card Games, Tunnels & Trolls, City of the Gods|
Steven S. Crompton is a Canadian-born artist and designer who has worked in the role-playing and comic genres since 1981. In the gaming industry he is best known as the artist for the Grimtooth Traps books as well as other Catalyst role-playing game supplements, Tunnels & Trolls and the Nuclear War card game.
His first widely distributed comic was Elves of Lejentia #1 - 3, in 1987. In 1991, he was hired by Todd Loren to work on Psychoman and his own creation, Demi the Demoness. The Demi comics have been in continuous publication since 1992. Demi was adapted into a live-action movie and released on dvd in 2008 and new Demi comics continue to be published.
Since 2005 he has managed entire projects, contributing to all aspects of a publishing endeavor including marketing, working directly with other creators, design, writing, art, maps, pre-press, printing liaison and final delivery to the end users. Recent examples include Deluxe Tunnels & Trolls RPG, 50th AnniversaryNuclear War (card game), Ace of Aces (picture book game) limited edition reprint and the Grimtooth's Ultimate Traps Collection.
Art for games
Besides Grimtooth's Traps and Nuclear War, other notable games his work has appeared include Traveller, Immortal, GURPS, Space Opera, Tunnels & Trolls, Space: 1889, Lejentia Campaigns, Grid Iron, Lost Worlds, the Powerz Card Game, and many others.
Several of the games he has worked on have won the HG Wells "Origins Award", including Citybook, Stormhaven, Nuclear Escalation & Nuclear Proliferation card Games. Nuclear War won the "Hall of Fame Award" as one of the best card games of all time.
Selected game bibliography
Along with art, he also contributed to the design and writing of some of these products.
- Grimtooth's Traps - 1981 (Flying Buffalo):168
- Catacombs of the Bear Cult - 1981 (Flying Buffalo)
- Grimtooth's Traps Too - 1982 (Flying Buffalo):168
- CityBook I: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker - 1982 (Flying Buffalo):164
- Nuclear Escalation - 1983 (Flying Buffalo)
- Traveller Adventure, The - 1983 (Game Designers' Workshop)
- Alderson Yards Shipbook - 1985 Fantasy Games Unlimited:309
- Grimtooth's Traps Fore - 1986 (Flying Buffalo)
- Lejentia Campaigns Book 1 - 1988 (Flying Buffalo):170
- Lejentia Campaigns Book 2 - 1989 (Flying Buffalo)
- Grimtooth's Traps Ate - 1989 (Flying Buffalo):169
- Grimtooth's Traps Lite - 1991 (Flying Buffalo)
- Case of the Pacific Clipper - Mugshots 1 - 1991 (Flying Buffalo)
- T&T Solo: Cat’s Away - 1992 (Flying Buffalo)
- Lost World: Flaming Cherry - 1992 (Flying Buffalo)
- Lost World: Gargoyle w/ Spear - 1992 (Flying Buffalo)
- Nuclear War Booster Cards - 1993 (Flying Buffalo)
- Grimtooth's Dungeon of Doom - 1993 (Flying Buffalo)
- Maps 1 - Cities - 1993 (Flying Buffalo)
- Maps 2 - Places of Legend - 1994 (Flying Buffalo)
- Grimtooth's Traps Bazaar - 1995 (Flying Buffalo)
- Citybook VII - King's River Bridge - 1997 (Flying Buffalo)
- Nuclear Proliferation &.2nd ed - 1990, 2003 (Flying Buffalo)
- Nuclear War Card Game 2nd ed - 2001 (Flying Buffalo)
- Wurst of Grimtooth’s Traps - 2005 (Necromancer Games)
- Weapons of Mass Destruction - 2005 (Flying Buffalo)
- Origins Poker Decks — 2007-2011 (Flying Buffalo/Game Manufacturers Association) (GAMA)
- Obama Nation Card Game - 2009 (Twisted Ent.)
- Powerz Card Game - 2011 (Twisted Ent.)
- City of the Gods Map Pack - 2013 (Flying Buffalo)
- Adventurers Compendium - 2014 (Flying Buffalo)
- Deluxe Tunnels & Trolls - 2015 (Flying Buffalo)
- Grimtooth's Ultimate TRAPS Collection - 2015 (Goodman Games)
Art for Comics
Crompton is best known for his creation Demi the Demoness and his work as editor and designer of the Carnal Comics line since 2001, with over 30 books including Frank Brunner's Carnal Delights and Carnal Comics: the Inside Story He has worked for Rip Off Press, Hippy Comix, Kitchen Sink Press, Cry for Dawn Productions, Revolutionary Comics and many others. He also created 100 comic-style art cards for the Topps Mars Attacks Invasion trading card series.
Selected comics bibliography
Demi the Demoness
- Demi the Demoness #1 - 7. 1992 - 2003, Revolutionary Comics
- Demi Adventure Special #1. 1995, Rip Off Press
- Tracey Adams/Demi #1. 1995, Revisionary Press
- Demi the Demoness color strip. 1996/98, Oui magazine
- Demi meets Cassiopeia #1. 1997, Rip Off Press
- Demi & Capt. Fortune #1. 1997 Rip Off Press
- Demi & Shaundra #1. 1998, Rip Off Press
- Demi Art Card Set. 1998, Opus Graphics
- Demi's Wild Kingdom #1. 2000, Carnal/MU Press
- Demi's Strange Bedfellows #1 - 5. 2001-2015, Carnal Comics
- Demi Demoness Graphic Novel. 2006, Carnal Comics
- Demi & Vampirooni #1. 2006, Carnal Comics
- Demi the Demoness Movie. 2008, Carnal Comics/MSD Productions
- Crimson Gash Meets Demi #1. 2009, Carnal Comics
- Demi & the Sex Squad #1. 2010, Carnal Comics
- Demi vs the Monsters of the Third Reich. 2014, Carnal Comics
- Lejentia Stanza #1 - 3. 1987, Opus Graphics
- Psychoman #1. 1992, Revolutionary Comics
- Contemporary Bios: Ross Perot. 1992, Revolutionary Comics
- Rock & Roll #59: Eric Clapton. 1993, Revolutionary Comics
- Heavy Metal Monsters 3D. 1993
- Ray 3D Zone; Cherry’s Jubilee #4. 1994, Kitchen Sink Press
- NOIR #1 & 2, 1995, CryForDawn
- Pantheon #1 - 2. 1996, Archer Books and Games
- Letha Weapons #1. 1997 Revisionary Press
- Wild Kingdom #12. 2001 (artist, letterer), MU Press
- Felecia Adult Star Stories #1. 2002, Hippy Comix
- Sex Squad #1 & 2. 2003, Carnal Comics
- Jenna Jameson Collection. 2004, Carnal Comics
- Carnal Comics: Inside Story. 2004, Carnal Comics
- Djustine - Twisted West #1. 2004, Carnal Comics
- Sex Squad #2. 2004, Carnal Comics
- Wild! #13/Minkenstein #1. 2005, MU Press
- Aurora Snow Bio Comic # 1. 2009, Carnal Comics
- Girl Meets Tentacle #1. 2010, Carnal Comics
- Underground Comix Price Guide Supplement. 2010, Hippy Comix
- City of the Gods: Forgotten. 2011, Raven Press
- The Last Goddess. 2011, Raven Press
- Mythic Tales: City of the Gods. 2011, Raven Press
- One Day in Hell #1. 2012, 3nd N Press
- Pantheon of the Gods. 2012, Raven Press
- Lost Comics of SS Crompton. 2013, Opus Graphics
- This Conquered Earth. 2013, Opus Graphics
- Fogel's Underground Comix Price Guide. 2015, Hippy Comix
- Lindsay, Randy (January 28, 2012). "Interview with Steve Crompton - Part I". Randylindsay.blogspot.com. Archived from the original on October 27, 2014.
- Bails, Jerry (2006). "Crompton, Steven S.". Who's Who of American Comics Books 1928-1999. Archived from the original on October 27, 2014.
- "Carnal Comics & Demi". Carnal Comics. 2011. Archived from the original on September 23, 2014.
- Crompton, Steve (December 18, 2010). "City of the Gods Forum". Citytofthegods.ning.com. Archived from the original on October 27, 2014.
- "Origins Award Winners (1997)". Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design. Archived from the original on 2008-01-30. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- Crompton, Steve (July 4, 2000). "Home Page of Steve Crompton, Artist". Flyingbuffalo.com. Archived from the original on May 15, 2014.
- Schick, Lawrence (1991). Heroic Worlds: A History and Guide to Role-Playing Games. Prometheus Books. ISBN 0-87975-653-5.
- Steve Crompton at the Grand Comics Database
- UGY3K Underground Comix, December 1999, pg 136. Biography of S.S. Crompton.
- Don & Maggie Thompson, July 1993, Comic-Book Superstars, pg 47. Steven S Crompton.
- Brent Frankenhoff, Standard Catalog of Comic Books, pg 333. Spotlight on Demi the Demoness.
- Underground Comix Price Guide, January 2006, pg 49. SS Crompton overview.