East Central Ohio League
|Classification||OHSAA Divisions I-IV|
|No. of members||8|
Map of members
The East Central Ohio League (ECOL) is an athletic conference of high schools in Ohio sponsored by OHSAA. Its ten member schools are located in Guernsey, Coshocton, Muskingum, Tuscarawas, and Washington Counties.
The ECOL was formed in 1987 with the original members being Cambridge, Coshocton, Meadowbrook, and St. Clairsville. Claymont joined the league in 1989, followed by Dover in 1993, who left the Northeastern Buckeye Conference.
After the 1996 season, St. Clairsville dropped out. Indian Valley High School left the PAC-7 to replace St. Clairsville for the 1996-97 school year. A year later New Philadelphia left the Federal League and joined. The most recent addition was River View, which fully completed a transition to the East Central Ohio League from the Muskingum Valley League in 2005.
Indian Valley departed the ECOL following the 2006-07 school year, joining the PAC-7, which it had been a member of prior to joining the ECOL. Following the departure of the Braves, the conference negotiated a partnership with the Muskingum Valley League to provide a full, even schedule for conference members. This would allow for even numbers of home and away games for member schools.
On October 20, 2009, it was announced that Zanesville would be joining the ECOL. On December 1, 2009, Marietta and Rosecrans were accepted as the 9th and 10th members. All 3 schools gradually joined the league with their sports, starting with track, wrestling, swimming, golf, soccer and tennis in 2010-11; basketball, baseball, softball and volleyball in 2011-12, and football in 2012.
Following the expansion to ten, the conference will be split into two divisions: Scarlet and Gray. The Scarlet Division (big schools) will consist of Cambridge, Dover, Marietta, New Philadelphia and Zanesville. The Gray Division (small schools) will consist of Claymont, Coshocton, Meadowbrook, River View, and Rosecrans.
In February 2015, Claymont announced that they would join the Inter-Valley Conference beginning with the 2016-17 school year. Later, Bishop Rosecrans announced that it would leave the league as well and join the Mid-State League for the 2017-18 season, leaving the ECOL with 8 members. Realignment then shifted Cambridge to the Gray Division for the 2017-18 school year.
|Dover Tornadoes||Cambridge Bobcats|
|Marietta Tigers||Coshocton Redskins|
|New Philadelphia Quakers||Meadowbrook Colts|
|Zanesville Blue Devils||River View Black Bears|
The following are former members of the conference:
- Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans Bishops
- Uhrichsville Claymont Mustangs
- Gnadenhutten Indian Valley Braves
- St. Clairsville Red Devils
|2015 Football Classifications|
- Coshocton vs. River View
- Dover vs. New Philadelphia
- Cambridge vs. Meadowbrook
- Zanesvillevs. Cambridge
- Marietta vs. Zanesville
This table only includes state championships won by schools while a member of the East Central Ohio League:
|River View||Girls Basketball||2006, 2007|
- Cambridge district home
- Claymont district home
- Coshocton district home
- Dover district home
- Marietta district home
- Meadowbrook district home
- New Philadelphia district home
- River View district home
- Bishop Rosecrans home
- Zanesville district home
- Indian Valley district home
- St. Clairsville district home
- Lilley, Bill. "Coventry gets Pac-7 message loud and clear, looks to leave." Akron Beacon Journal, March 30, 1995.
- Schneider, Joe. ".River View athletes get a first taste of ECOL championship competition." Coshocton Tribune, February 12, 2004.
- Barstow, Jim. "Braves hope to contend during last season in ECOL." Coshocton Tribune, November 21, 2006.
- "A season of change". Coshocton Tribune. June 15, 2008. Retrieved June 30, 2008.
- Keathley, Hank (December 2, 2009). "ECOL adds Marietta, Rosecrans". The New Philadelphia Times-Reporter. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- Staff Reports (May 19, 2010). "Big Red declines invitation to ECOL". timesleaderonline.com. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- Metzger, Roger (February 21, 2015). "Five high schools to join Inter-Valley Conference". Times Reporter. Retrieved February 23, 2015.
- Gadd, Brian. "Coshocton fourth-seeded in Steubenville sectional." Coshocton Tribune, January 28, 2008.
- Barstow, Jim. "River View girls shut down rival CHS 39-29." Coshocton Tribune, December 9, 2007.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.