|Motto||Integrity, Tenacity, Service|
|Headteacher||Mr.James McNamara |
|DfE URN||136505 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
|Houses||Brindley, Chantrey, Nightingale, Flamsteed|
|Colours||Green, Yellow, Red, Blue|
|Slogan||Integrity, Tenacity, Service|
The Ecclesbourne School is a secondary school with academy status situated in Duffield, Derbyshire, England. It is one of the most in-demand secondary schools in Derbyshire and has been awarded the top grade 'Outstanding' in its past four Ofsted inspections.
Since opening in 1957 as a small county grammar school in the grounds of Duffield Hall, The Ecclesbourne School has had a varied organisational history. It became a co-educational 11 – 19 comprehensive school in 1976, grant maintained in 1990 and a Foundation School in 2001. Central Government recognised its excellence in 1999 by awarding ‘Beacon’ status. The School was successful in its bid to become part of the ‘Specialist School’ programme when it was awarded Technology College status in 2001. The school has been involved in a Leading Edge Partnership since 2003; at first in the South East Derbyshire Secondary Schools Improvement Partnership, but now is focused on collaborative work with John Flamsteed Community School. The school has been awarded the Careermark twice (2004 and 2008), the Sportsmark in 2004, and was one of only two schools in Derbyshire to receive the ‘Health Promoting Schools’ award.
In 2011 the school controversially became an academy which caused a two-day strike by some teachers.
GCSE and A level results
Student groups and activities include charity fund raising, choir, debating, drama, environmental teams, instrumental music ensembles, orchestra, mock trials, Duke of Edinburgh award and young enterprise.
Sports include athletics, basketball, cricket, dodgeball, cross-county, football, hockey, netball, rugby, squash and tennis. The Under-14 hockey team won the national title in 2004.
Notable former pupils
- Nigel Hitchin, mathematician
- Stefan Buczacki, horticulturist and broadcaster
- Kate Pickett, co-author of The Spirit Level: Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better
- Helen Butterworth, composer of the seven children's music books in the "Gems for Ensembles" series
- Hollie Webb, Olympic gold medallist in women's hockey
- "Who's Who At Ecclesbourne". Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- Dillon, Jo (2001-12-09). "Top state schools 'selecting' in secret". The Independent.
The Ecclesbourne School in Duffield is particularly highly regarded. People will rent flats above shops to have an address in the catchment area or buy a house and sell it six months later.
- "Refusal to publish report into Ecclesbourne School land deal audit". The Derby Telegraph. 2008-12-16.
- "Ecclesbourne School is "outstanding" four times in a row (with Ofsted report)". The Derby Telegraph. 2008-10-07.
- Ecclesbourne School teachers strike over academy plan
- "School Performance". The Ecclesbourne School.
- "Ecclesbourne win national title". Belper News. 2004-03-17.