The ecobee4 smart thermostat
|Headquarters||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Stuart Lombard (President and CEO)|
Mark Malchiondo (VP of Software Development)
|Products||Smart thermostats and light switches|
The thermostats are controlled by using the built-in touchscreen, web portal, or app available for iOS, Android, and the Apple Watch. Other devices are controlled solely through the app or web portal.
The thermostat or camera acts as a hub for their other devices. The light switches do not require a thermostat or camera but do not provide hub functionality.
Additionally, ecobee provides a set of subscription services to complement its product line.
ecobee was founded in 2007. It has been recognized with a number of awards, including the Deloitte Technology Green 15 Award for Canadian green technology companies, and the 2011 AHR Expo Innovation Award in the category of building automation.
In March 2018, ecobee raised a CA$80 million series C round of funding.
ecobee created the world's first smart thermostat, the ecobee Smart, in 2008. Since then, they have gradually updated their thermostat lineup over the years up to the most recent release of the flagship ecobee Smart Thermostat in June 2019. Additionally, they continue to sell the ecobee3 lite as a less expensive, non-Alexa enabled smart thermostat that does not ship with any remote sensors but still includes support for them.
The thermostats incorporate a touchscreen and work with up to 32 remote temperature/occupancy sensors which can adjust the temperature based on where you are. The ecobee4 and ecobee Smart Thermostat also include Amazon Alexa support.
All thermostats since the ecobee3 allow the user to set different schedules each day for various activities (called comfort settings). By default these include home, away, and sleep. Custom comfort settings can also be created. The remote temperature/occupancy sensors can engage a Smart Away mode if no movement is detected or a Follow Me mode to selectively control the thermostat based on where people are within the home. All remote sensors which are designated as "participating" in a comfort setting take the average of their temperatures and use that as the building's "overall" temperature. A vacation mode is provided which allows users to set a temperature range that the thermostat should maintain between specified dates (for extended times away from home). Additionally, users can set convenient reminders for HVAC maintenance, furnace filter replacement, or UV Lamp replacement, as well as alerts for high/low temperature and high/low humidity.
|ecobee3 lite||ecobee4||Ecobee SmartThermostat|
|Announcement Date||October 10, 2008||January 23, 2012||September 16, 2014||June 2, 2015||October 17, 2016||May 3, 2017||June 3, 2019|
|Launch Price||$385 (USD)||$179 (USD)||$249 (USD)||$249 (USD)||$169 (USD)||$249 (USD)||$249 (USD)|
|Dimensions||5.5 x 3.2 x 1 inches||5.5 x 3.2 x 1 inches||3.9 x 3.9 x 0.9 inches||4 x 4 x 0.9 inches||4 x 4 x 0.8 inches||4.29 x 4.29 x.1.03 inches||4.29 x 4.29 x 1 inches|
|Room Sensors||Wired (requires remote sensor module added to equipment interface module)||Wireless (max 32)|
All ecobee thermostats since the ecobee3 (not including the ecobee3 lite) have included one temperature/occupancy sensor in the box.
The sensors can connect to an ecobee thermostat to provide temperature and occupancy information or an ecobee camera to provide occupancy information for the home monitoring service.
ecobee began rolling out eco+ in 2019 to personalize individual thermostats to the home's environment.
Most notably, this includes the ability to connect your utility company to your thermostat. Using this information it can heat/cool the home depending on current and upcoming time-of-use rate changes, or allow the home to participate in demand-response events.
Smart Light Switch
The ecobee Switch+ is a smart light switch announced in May 2017 and released on March 26, 2018. The Switch+ has a microphone with built-in Amazon Alexa, along with occupancy and daylight sensors.
The ecobee SmartSensor contact sensors were released on April 15, 2020 alongside the SmartCamera to complement the Haven home monitoring system.
Similar to the Room Sensors, they connect to a hub device (thermostat or camera) wirelessly.
ecobee Haven provides a subscription-based self-monitoring home monitoring system which integrates the sensors in all of its products into a home security system.
ecobee Air Filters automatically sends the user furnace filters when their current filter must be replaced.
ecobee products integrate with: Microsoft's Cortana, Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, Samsung SmartThings, Hubitat, Wink, Haiku Fans, IFTTT, Logitech Harmony, Vera, and Control4.
- "About". ecobee. Retrieved May 19, 2020.
- "ecobee". CrunchBase. Retrieved May 19, 2020.
- "Products". ecobee. Retrieved May 19, 2020.
- Dow, Georgia (June 4, 2015). "Using the Ecobee3 Wi-Fi thermostat with your Apple Watch". iMore.
- "Company Overview of ecobee, Inc".
- "ecobee Receives Coveted 'Technology Green 15(TM)' Award at the 2011 Deloitte Technology Fast 50(TM) for a Third Year in a Row!".
- "2011 AHR Expo Innovation Award Winners" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-01-24. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- Kolodny, Lora (7 March 2018). "Amazon is backing Ecobee, a smart thermostat company, just days after buying Ring". CNBC. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- Melanson, Donald (October 15, 2008). "Ecobee debuts energy-saving, WiFi-connected Smart Thermostat". Engadget.
- Dipane, Jared (3 June 2019). "Ecobee's latest smart thermostat offers smarter sensors and more for $249". iMore. Mobile Nations. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- Wollerton, Megan (17 October 2016). "Alexa, Siri, IFTTT: This smart thermostat works with 'em all". CNET. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Does ecobee3 lite work with room sensors? | Smart WiFi Thermostats by ecobee". www.ecobee.com. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- Wollerton, Megan (September 30, 2014). "Ecobee3 Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat review". CNET.
- "Ecobee3 Smart WiFi Thermostat". PC Mag. January 26, 2015.
- Gibides, Justin. "Ecobee4 thermostat". ecobee.com.
- "What are Activities and Comfort Settings?". ecobee Support. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- "ecobee Support". support.ecobee.com. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- Andrew Newton. "Guest Post: Vacation and ecobee3 Smart Wi-Fi Thermostats by ecobee". www.ecobee.com. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- "Lowe's Ecobee SmartThermostat".
- "Ecobee debuts energy-saving, WiFi-connected Smart Thermostat". Engadget. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- Clarke, Steph (January 23, 2012). "Smart Si Press Release" (PDF). Ecobee.
- "Introducing ecobee3 with Wireless Remote Sensors | Smart WiFi Thermostats by ecobee". www.ecobee.com. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- "HomeKit-enabled ecobee3 | Smart WiFi Thermostats by ecobee". www.ecobee.com. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- "Connected Home Leader ecobee Launches New ecobee3 lite Smart Thermostat | Smart WiFi Thermostats by ecobee". www.ecobee.com. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- "ecobee Launches ecobee4 Smart Thermostat with Built-In Alexa Voice Service". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Pioneered to Perfection: Introducing The New ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control | ecobee | Smart Home Technology". www.ecobee.com. Retrieved 2019-10-20.
- "Ecobee Smart Thermostat".
- "Does ecobee3 support wired remote sensors? | Smart WiFi Thermostats by ecobee". www.ecobee.com. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- "How many wireless remote sensors can you support on the thermostat?". ecobee Support. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- "Ecobee3 Smart WiFi Thermostat Review". PCMAG. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- "Remote occupancy and temperature sensor | ecobee". www.ecobee.com. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- "Ecobee rolls out Eco+, an AI engine in your thermostat". VentureBeat. 2019-11-05. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- "eco+: Frequently Asked Questions". ecobee Support. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- Hall, Zac (21 November 2017). "ecobee launches pilot program for its Alexa-enabled Switch+ light switch ahead of release". 9to5Mac. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "Ecobee's Switch+ Alexa-enabled light switch is now available for pre-order in Canada". MobileSyrup. March 13, 2018. Retrieved March 14, 2018.
- "Ecobee announces smart light switch with built-in Alexa and numerous sensors". AFTVnews. 4 May 2017. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "Ecobee expands its smart home lineup with a camera and more sensors". Engadget. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- "Indoor security camera with Alexa Built-in | ecobee". www.ecobee.com. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- "Review: ecobee's SmartSensor covers more than just doors and windows". iMore. 2020-05-09. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- Miller, Chance (April 15, 2020). "Review: Ecobee debuts Haven security system with HomeKit SmartCamera and contact sensors". 9to5Mac.
- "Air Filter Delivery Service Subscription". ecobee.
- Clover, Juli (June 2, 2015). "Ecobee and Insteon Announce New HomeKit-Compatible Products". MacRumors.
- Kahn, Jordan (June 2, 2015). "Here comes Apple's HomeKit, first products start shipping starting w/ Insteon, Lutron, iHome, Elgato and Ecobee". 9to5 Mac.
- "IFTTT integration comes to ecobee!". ecobee.
- "Introducing the ecobee Channel". IFTTT Blog.
- "Partnerships | Smart WiFi Thermostats by ecobee". www.ecobee.com. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- "ecobee now works with the Google Assistant". TheCanadianTechie. 2017-11-14. Retrieved 2018-03-14.