|Full name||Elaine Teo Shueh Fhern|
5 February 1981 |
|Height||1.65 m (5 ft 5 in)|
|Weight||53 kg (117 lb)|
|Event(s)||48 kg, 57 kg|
|Club||Traditional Taekwondo Sports Centre|
Elaine Teo Shueh Fhern (born 5 February 1981 in Malacca) is a Malaysian taekwondo practitioner. She is a two-time bronze medalist at the Universiade games, and a three-time gold medalist at the Southeast Asian Games.
Teo made her official debut for the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, where she competed in the women's flyweight category (49 kg). She lost the first preliminary match to Guatemala's Euda Carías by a superiority decision from the judges, with a score of 4–4.
At the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, Teo qualified this time for the featherweight category (57 kg), because of an error in her entry form for the Asian qualifiers. She lost the first preliminary match to Turkey's Azize Tanrıkulu, with a score of 4–7. Because Tanrıkulu advanced further into the final match against Lim Su-Jeong of South Korea, Teo offered another shot for a bronze medal triumph through the repechage bout, where she was eventually defeated by a tall American taekwondo exponent Diana López, who was able to score only three points at the end of the match.
Teo also made her bid to qualify for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London; however, she was forced into a premature retirement after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in her knee at the Asian Championships in Bangkok, Thailand.
Teo is currently finishing her final semester at Universiti Putra Malaysia in Selangor, to fulfill the bachelor of science degree in business administration. She also holds the distinction of being the only taekwondo practitioner to have won the National Sportswoman Award in 2004.
- "Elaine Teo". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- "Elaine Teo opening a taekwondo training centre at TTDI Plaza Damansara". Martial Arts Community (Malaysia). Archived from the original on 21 February 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- Lim, Teik Huat (21 May 2008). "Taekwondo: Chew Chan believes she can beat the odds in Beijing". The Star Online (Malaysia). Archived from the original on 3 June 2008. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- "Lanky Lopez ends Elaine's hopes". The Star Online (Malaysia). 22 August 2008. Archived from the original on 2 September 2008. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- "Women's 57kg (126 lbs) Repechage". NBC Olympics. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- Lim, Teik Huat (4 January 2012). "Injury scuppers Elaine’s Olympic dreams and may force her to retire". The Star Online (Malaysia). Archived from the original on 20 January 2012. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
|This biographical article related to Malaysian sports is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to Taekwondo is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|