Kurt at TIFF in 2009
|Born||December 9, 1961|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Notable works and roles||PopCultured|
Elvira Kurt (born December 9, 1961) is a Canadian comedian, and the host of the game show Spin Off. She hosted the entertainment satire/talk show PopCultured with Elvira Kurt, which began on The Comedy Network in Canada in 2005. That show's style was similar to The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. It was cancelled due to poor ratings in early 2006. She is of Jewish Hungarian descent.
Openly lesbian, she coined the term "fellagirly" to describe herself and other lesbians whose style is a blend of butch and femme, as opposed to strictly one or the other. Her comedic style relies heavily on complaints about celebrity culture, her own appearance, and the effects of aging.
In 2007, Kurt hosted the second season of the gay wedding series First Comes Love (which originated in Canada under the title My Fabulous Gay Wedding). She is a judge on The Second City's Next Comedy Legend, a frequent guest on the CBC Radio show The Debaters, and a weekly guest on Q where she does a "Cultural Hall of Shame" segment each week, typically on the last half-hour on the Friday morning broadcast.
Kurt is the host of Spin Off, a prime time quiz show on Hamilton based television station CHCH-DT. Mark Burnett is executive producer and creator of Spin Off, which premiered on September 11, 2013.
- Kitten with a Wit (1999)
- Elvira Kurt Biography, NME.com; accessed January 21, 2018.
- "Spin Off". CHCH. Archived from the original on 2013-08-20. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Polly, John (2007-03-07), "Interview With Elvira Kurt", AfterEllen.com, archived from the original on 2008-01-27, retrieved 2007-10-30
- "Laughing out loud: Gay and lesbian comics go the extra comedic mile on TV special". The Gazette. February 9, 1999. Missing or empty
- Etan Vlessing (2013-04-23). "CHCH buys Mark Burnett game show". PlayBack. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- "Mark Burnett behind Spin Off, new game show to air on CHCH". Toronto Star. Canadian Press. 2013-04-24. Retrieved 2013-09-01.