Database management system
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, U.S.|
|Wayne D. Williams, CEO|
|Products||RAD Studio XE, Delphi, C++Builder, JBuilder, RadPHP, Delphi Prism, InterBase, DBArtisan, Rapid SQL, Change Manager, ER/Studio, Performance Center, 3rdRail, TurboRuby, etc.|
|Revenue||$100 million (2012)|
|Owner||Thoma Cressey Bravo|
Number of employees
Embarcadero Technologies is an American computer software company that develops, manufactures, licenses, and supports products and services related to software through several product divisions. It was founded in 1993, went public in 2000, and private in 2007.
Founded in October 1993 by Stephen Wong and Stuart Browning with a single tool for Sybase database administrators released in December of the same year Rapid SQL, it later added tools for software development on Microsoft Windows and other operating systems, and for database design, development and management, for platforms including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2 and MySQL.
In November the same year, the company acquired GDPro, a Unified Modeling Language software provider. In October 2005 Embarcadero acquired data security business Ambeo. In June 2007, Thoma Cressey Bravo bought Embarcadero, and it became a private company. Wayne Williams was appointed chief executive officer of Embarcadero Technologies in 2007.
On May 7, 2008 Borland Software Corporation announced that its software development tools division, CodeGear, was to be sold to Embarcadero Technologies for an expected $23 million price and $7 million in CodeGear accounts receivables retained by Borland. The acquisition closed on June 30, 2008 for approximately $24.5 million.
In December 2011, Embarcadero announced AppWave, an enterprise app store for PCs running Microsoft Windows instead of mobile phones. The platform supports Embarcadero software, commercial titles and free and open source apps. In April 2012 it was moved to a web site called AppWave Store.
The company headquarters is in San Francisco, California, with international offices in Toronto, Sydney, Munich, Maidenhead (United Kingdom) Alicante (Spain) and Iaşi (Romania). As of 2012[update] the company had an annual revenue of $100 million, and about 500 employees on its payroll.
In October 2015 it was announced that the company is to be sold to a database performance tool vendor called Idera.
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2009)|
- Rapid SQL is a cross-platform SQL IDE, launched in December 1993.
- DBArtisan is a cross-platform database administration tool for data availability, performance, and security, announced in April 1994.
- ER/Studio is a data-modelling tool for database design, launched in March 1996.
- Change Manager is a database change management tool for Windows and Linux launched in March 1999, which allows database schema versions to be compared, monitored, and altered. The tool also supports comparisons and synchronization for data and configuration settings.
- Performance Center is a tool to monitor database performance, announced in March 2001.
- EA/Studio is a tool for modelling how a business operates.
- Schema Examiner is a database schema tool to review and find design errors in a database schema.
- PowerSQL is an integrated development environment (IDE) for SQL application development with native support for IBM DB2 for LUW, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, and JDBC, available as a stand-alone application or an Eclipse plugin.
- DBOptimizer is an SQL profiling and tuning IDE tool.
- InterBase is a relational database management system (RDBMS) developed and marketed by CodeGear as of 2011[update] which runs on the Linux, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Solaris operating systems.
- Delphi is a rapid application development (RAD) environment and object-oriented dialect of the Pascal programming language, developed from Turbo Pascal. Delphi runs on Microsoft Windows, and produces applications for Windows, Mac OS X, and iOS and Android portable devices.
- C++Builder is equivalent to Delphi, but based on the C++ programming language instead of Pascal, using the Delphi Visual Component Library and a native C++ compiler. Most components developed in Delphi can be used in C++Builder with no modification, although the reverse is not true.
- Delphi Prism is a rapid application development tool for the Microsoft .NET Framework and Mono, developed by Embarcadero Technologies and RemObjects Software.
- Embarcadero RAD Studio is a rapid application development package which includes Delphi, C++Builder and Delphi Prism, for building native Windows, .NET, Web, and database applications.
- HTML5 Builder, formerly RadPHP, formerly Delphi for PHP, is an IDE and rapid application development framework for PHP. The VCL for PHP class library includes many components that can be used dynamically with each other.
- 3rdRail is an IDE for Ruby on Rails.
- TurboRuby is an IDE for the Ruby programming language.
- JBuilder is a Java IDE built on the open source Eclipse framework.
- J Optimizer is an optimizer for Java and Java EE applications.
- CodeWright is an integrated development environment for Microsoft .NET, Borland Delphi and C++Builder. CodeWright can share code with other developers real-time. It is no longer maintained but a commercial license was available by 2012.
- "About Us". Company web site. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- Stephen Wong listed as Co-founder from allbusiness.com
- "Prospectus". S-1/A. US Securities and Exchange Commission. April 20, 2000. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- Cressey Bravo Acquires Embarcadero Technologies, edaweek.com, October 30, 2007
- Silicon Valley Technology News, Embarcadero Technologies buys CodeGear
- "Embarcadero Technologies Closes Acquisition of CodeGear". Press release. July 1, 2008. Archived from the original on July 4, 2009. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- Dana Gardner (December 7, 2011). "Embarcadero brings self-service app store model to enterprises to target PCs and their universe of software". ZDNet. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- Michael del Castillo (April 24, 2012). "Microsoft App Store Competes With Microsoft". Upstart Business Journal. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- List of Embarcadero Technologies offices from Embarcadero.com
- Joab Jackson. "Embarcadero moves into data modeling with CA ERwin buy". IDG News Service, 14 March 2014.
- Anderson, Tim (8 October 2015). "Microsoft tool-crafter Idera buys database, app firm Embarcadero". The Register. Retrieved 27 October 2015.
- Tim DelChiaro. "How can I buy a license for CodeWright?". Embarcadero Developer Network web page. Archived from the original on March 24, 2012. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Embarcadero Technologies.|