||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2013)|
|Founded||San Diego, California (2001 )|
|Dr. Ted Tewksbury(CEO) |
Entropic Communications is a provider of semiconductor solutions for the connected home. Founded in 2001, the company is headquartered in San Diego, California, USA, and maintains offices worldwide. The fabless semiconductor company is recognized for inventing the MoCA® (Multimedia over Coax Alliance) home networking technology, creating Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) Outdoor Unit (ODU) single-wire technology, and developing the industry’s first ARM® processor and OpenGL graphics Set-top box (STB), System-on-a-Chip (SoC). Entropic completed its initial public offering on December 7, 2007, listing on the NASDAQ exchange under the ticker symbol ENTR.
Entropic was acquired by MaxLinear for a total consideration of $287 million on February 3, 2015.
Entropic is the only pure-play platform semiconductor company in the connected home market and offers a diverse portfolio of integrated circuit (IC) technology and advanced platform software solutions:
- STB SoC Solutions: Entropic’s STB SoC portfolio is a comprehensive suite of digital STB components and system solutions for the worldwide satellite, terrestrial, cable and IP television, or IPTV, markets. Entropic’s STB products primarily consist of STB SoCs, but also include DOCSIS modems, interface devices and media processors.
- Home Networking Solutions: In 2004, Entropic introduced its MoCA home networking solution, which was the industry’s first chipset to transform coaxial cable into a robust home network, thus spurring the Company’s entrance into the connected home market. The Company was the first to announce MoCA 1.0, 1.1 and MoCA 2.0, and its MoCA chips are deployed at most major U.S. service providers including Comcast, Cox Communications, DIRECTV, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon as well as throughout Europe via UPC/Liberty Global.
- Broadband Access Solutions: Entropic delivers high-speed Ethernet-over-Coax (EoC) broadband access solutions, under its c.LINK™ brand. The EoC technology delivers “last few hundred meter” connectivity for high-speed broadband access to single-family homes and multiple dwelling units. The technology is predominantly deployed in China, and helps MSOs meet the government-mandated Next Generation Broadband (NGB) initiative.
- Direct Broadcast Satellite Outdoor Unit (DBS ODU) Solutions: Entropic pioneered DBS ODU technology, which simplifies the installation required to support simultaneous reception of multiple channels from multiple satellites over a single cable. The Company’s DBS ODU products include integrated circuits for its Band Translation Switch (BTS), Channel Stacking Switch (CSS™) and digital Channel Stacking Switch. Its DBS ODU technology is deployed at leading global DBS operators including DIRECTV, DISH Network, Canal Digital and Sky Italia to name a few.
In 2005, the company began its global expansion with the opening of its Asia regional headquarters in Hong Kong. The company expanded its Asia-Pacific presence in Korea in 2010 and in Japan in 2011.
In March of 2014, Entropic's former CEO Patrick Henry was charged with three misdemeanors: assault, damage of a communication device, and criminal mischief. The charges stemmed from a drunken altercation at Sundance Film Festival involving reality TV star Ariane Bellamar. On June 19th, 2014 he was found guilty of the assault charge; his sentence consisted of a $400 fine, 40 hours of community service, and counseling for alcohol and anger management. Patrick Henry was not immediately removed from his position. Media coverage in the immediate aftermath of the verdict questioned the appropriateness of allowing a convicted domestic violence abuser to keep his high-paying, high-visibility position at the firm.
On November 10th, 2014, after several months of protest from shareholders, Dr. Ted Tewksbury replaced Patrick Henry as interim President and Chief Executive Officer.
As of November 28th, 2014, the employee review site Glassdoor reports a 13% approval rating of the former CEO. One review from a high-profile Director describes "limited growth, especially for women" and another alleges physical abuse.
- RF Magic, Inc. (2007) – Acquisition of DBS ODU technology and products
- Trident Microsystems, Inc. (2012) Acquisition of selected assets related to Trident’s STB SoC solutions, including a comprehensive suite of digital STB components and system solutions for the worldwide satellite, terrestrial, cable and IP television, or IPTV, markets
- PLX Technology, Inc. (2012) – Acquisition of selected assets relating to PLX’s direct broadcast satellite intellectual property and corresponding technologies providing an accelerated roadmap for the digital channel stacking switch, or dCSS, semiconductor product
- Mobius Semiconductor, Inc. (2013) Acquisition of assets related to low power, high performance analog mixed-signal semiconductor solutions, including high speed ADCs, DACs, ADPLLs, SERDES and other proprietary intellectual property
- "DirecTV, Entropic Go South With MoCA". Light Reading. Retrieved 12/01/2013. Check date values in:
- "Canal Digital deploys Wistron NeWeb 's Entropic-based single-wire cable solution". Display Plus. Retrieved 12/01/2013. Check date values in:
- Nichols, Tai. "Sky Italia Approves WNC’s LNB Converter". Via Satellite. Retrieved 12/01/2013. Check date values in:
- "Entropic Communications Opens Hong Kong Office". Freshnews.com. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- "Entropic Communications opens office in Japan". telecompaper. Telecom.paper BV. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- "What A Mug: Tech Tycoon Booked On Charges For Allegdly Beating Up ‘Beverly Hills Nannies’ Star Ariane Bellamar". Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- "Tech Tycoon Patrick Henry Found GUILTY In Savage Beating Of Reality Star Ariane Bellamar". Retrieved 2014-07-05.
- "Justice Served? Tech Tycoon Found Guilty Of Assaulting Reality TV Star Will Keep His Seven-Figure Job Despite Conviction". Retrieved 2014-07-05.
- "Entropic Announces CEO Transition". Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- "Entropic Communications Reviews". Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- "Director, Business Development & account Sales". Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- "Abusive work environment for women". Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- "Entropic Communications Buys RF Magic". socaltech.com. SOCALTECH LLC. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- Donohue, Steve. "Entropic to buy Trident Microsystems set-top assets for $65M". FierceCable. FierceMarkets. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- "Entropic Communications Acquires Direct Broadcast Satellite Intellectual Property from PLX Technology". Press Release PLX Technologies. PLX Technologies. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- Baumgartner, Jeff. "Entropic Splashes Out $13M For Mobius Semiconductor". Multichannel News. NewBay Media, LLC. Retrieved 2013-11-30.