Surkamp with the San Francisco Giants in 2011
|Hanwha Eagles – No. 48|
July 16, 1987 |
|MLB: August 27, 2011, for the San Francisco Giants|
|KBO: July 14, 2016, for the Hanwha Eagles|
|Earned run average||6.68|
(through August 15, 2016)
|Earned run average||7.12|
Eric Michael Surkamp (born July 16, 1987) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Hanwha Eagles of the KBO League. He has previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the San Francisco Giants, Chicago White Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Oakland Athletics.
San Francisco Giants
Surkamp was drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the sixth round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft out of North Carolina State University, where he played college baseball for the Wolfpack.
In 2011, after going 10-4 with a 2.02 ERA in 22 starts for the Richmond Flying Squirrels, Surkamp was called up to the majors for the first time on August 27, 2011. He allowed one run in six innings in his debut that day against the Houston Astros. In his second major league start, on September 6, he picked up his first major league win, giving up three runs in five innings in a 6–4 victory over the San Diego Padres. He finished the year with a 2-2 record and a 5.74 ERA.
Surkamp began 2012 on the disabled list with a flexor tendon strain. After a series of setbacks, on July 25, 2012, Surkamp underwent Tommy John surgery, which knocked him out for the entire 2012 season.
Surkamp began the 2013 season on the 60-day disabled list as he was still recovering from the Tommy John surgery, but was expected to return after the All-Star break. He appeared in just one game that season, pitching 2 2⁄3 innings against the Cincinnati Reds and giving up seven runs. In 11 starts for the AAA Fresno Grizzlies he was 7–1 with a 2.78 ERA.
Chicago White Sox
Los Angeles Dodgers
On May 22, 2015, he was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers in exchange for Blake Smith. He was assigned to the AAA Oklahoma City Dodgers. On July 6, Surkamp had his contract purchased by the Dodgers and was called up to the majors. He pitched 3 1⁄3 innings in relief for the Dodgers in the game that night, allowing four earned runs. He was designated for assignment on July 8. He returned to AAA where he was 9–3 with a 3.57 ERA in 16 appearances (15 starts).
On December 13, 2015, Surkamp signed a minor league deal with the Oakland Athletics. Though initially assigned to Triple-A, he was added to the 40-man roster and activated to replace an injured Félix Doubront in the A's starting rotation on April 8, 2016. He was designated for assignment on June 27, 2016.
- "North Carolina State University Baseball Players Who Made it to the Major Leagues". Baseball-Almanac.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- Baseball Reference Minors
- Surkamp set to duel Myers in Major League debut
- Haft, Chris (September 7, 2011). "Night of firsts helps Giants close NL West gap". Giants.MLB.com. Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Retrieved October 16, 2012.
- Haft, Chris and Jay Lee (July 25, 2012). "Surkamp has Tommy John surgery". Giants.MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- "Giants Add Nick Noonan for Opening Day Roster". Sporting News. Retrieved April 26, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- Eymer, Rick (May 27, 2013). "Giants send down Rosario; Surkamp to 60-day DL". Giants.MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- "Eric Surkamp 2013 pitching gamelogs". Baseball Reference.
- "Eric Surkamp minor league statistics & history". Baseball Reference.
- Haft, Chris (December 20, 2013). "Left-hander Surkamp designated for assignment". Giants.MLB.com. Retrieved January 4, 2014.
- "White Sox claim Eric Surkamp off waivers from San Francisco". Chicago White Sox. December 23, 2013. Retrieved December 23, 2013.
- Todd, Jeff (May 22, 2015). "Dodgers Acquire Eric Surkamp From White Sox". mlbtraderumors. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- Weisman, Jon (July 6, 2015). "Eric Surkamp brought up by Dodgers, but Yimi Garcia will start tonight". Dodgers Insider. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- Osborne, Cary (July 8, 2015). "Dodgers bring up another new arm in Tsao, Garcia sent to Oklahoma City". Dodgers Insider. Retrieved July 8, 2015.
- Locakrd, Melissa (April 8, 2016). "Oakland A's add Eric Surkamp to roster; option Andrew Lambo". Oakland Clubhouse. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- "Rangers receive LHP Eric Surkamp on waiver claim from Oakland A's, move Drew Stubbs to 60-day DL". Sports Day. June 29, 2016. Retrieved June 29, 2016.