|Chicago White Sox|
July 16, 1987 |
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|August 27, 2011 for the San Francisco Giants|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||7.36|
San Francisco Giants
Surkamp was drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the sixth round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft out of North Carolina State University, where he played college baseball for the Wolfpack.
In 2011, after going 10-4 with a 2.02 ERA in 22 starts for the Richmond Flying Squirrels, Surkamp was called up to the majors for the first time on August 27, 2011. In his second major league start, on September 6, he picked up his first major league win, giving up three runs in five innings in a 6–4 victory over the San Diego Padres. He finished the year with a 2-2 record and a 5.74 ERA.
Surkamp began 2012 on the disabled list with a flexor tendon strain. After a series of setbacks, on July 25, 2012, Surkamp underwent Tommy John surgery, which knocked him out for the entire 2012 season.
Chicago White Sox
- "North Carolina State University Baseball Players Who Made it to the Major Leagues". Baseball-Almanac.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- Baseball Reference Minors
- Surkamp set to duel Myers in Major League debut
- Haft, Chris (September 7, 2011). "Night of firsts helps Giants close NL West gap". Giants.MLB.com. Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Retrieved October 16, 2012.
- Haft, Chris and Jay Lee (July 25, 2012). "Surkamp has Tommy John surgery". Giants.MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- "Giants Add Nick Noonan for Opening Day Roster". Sporting News. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- Eymer, Rick (May 27, 2013). "Giants send down Rosario; Surkamp to 60-day DL". Giants.MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- Haft, Chris (December 20, 2013). "Left-hander Surkamp designated for assignment". Giants.MLB.com. Retrieved January 4, 2014.
- "White Sox claim Eric Surkamp off waivers from San Francisco". Chicago White Sox. December 23, 2013. Retrieved December 23, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- NC State Wolfpack bio