Ernest, Elector of Saxony
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Elector of Saxony|
|Reign||7 September 1464 – 26 August 1486|
|Landgrave of Thuringia|
|Reign||17 September 1482 – 26 August 1486|
|Born||24 March 1441|
Meissen, Electorate of Saxony, Holy Roman Empire
|Died||26 August 1486 (aged 45)|
Colditz, Electorate of Saxony, Holy Roman Empire
|Spouse||Elisabeth of Bavaria-Munich|
|Christina, Queen of Denmark |
Frederick III, Elector of Saxony
Johann, Elector of Saxony
Margarete, Duchess of Brunswick-Lüneburg
|House||House of Wettin|
|Father||Frederick II, Elector of Saxony|
|Mother||Margaret of Austria-Styria|
Ernst was the founder and progenitor of the Ernestine line of Saxon princes, and a direct patrilineal ancestor of Queen Elizabeth II (United Kingdom), Michael, Prince of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach (Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach), Konrad, Prince of Saxe-Meiningen (Saxe-Meiningen) and Andreas, Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Saxe-Coburg and Gotha).
The death of his older brother Frederick (1451) made him the new heir apparent to the position of Elector of Saxony.
In 1464, he succeeded his father as Elector of Saxony, and annexed Thuringia in 1482, and three years later (Treaty of Leipzig, 1485) shared his territory with his brother Albert, until he arranged the division of the common possession.
According to the Treaty of Leipzig he received an area around Wittenberg, the southern Thuringian part, the Vogtland and parts of the Pleissnerland. As a residence he selected Wittenberg. He provided for the welfare of the country and introduced the constitution.
One year after the division elector Ernest died in Colditz, at the age of 46 years, the consequence of a fall from a horse.
- Christina (b. Torgau, 25 December 1461 – d. Odense, 8 December 1521), married on 6 September 1478 to King John I of Denmark
- Frederick III, Elector of Saxony (b. Torgau, 17 January 1463 – d. Lockau, 5 May 1525)
- Ernest (b. Meissen, 26 June 1464 – d. Halle, 3 August 1513), Archbishop of Magdeburg (1476–1480), Bishop of Halberstadt (1480–1513)
- Adalbert (b. Meissen, 8 May 1467 – d. Aschaffenburg, 1 May 1484), Administrator of Mainz
- Johann, Elector of Saxony (b. Meissen, 30 June 1468 – d. Schweinitz, 16 August 1532)
- Margarete (b. Meissen, 4 August 1469 – d. Weimar, 7 December 1528), married on 27 February 1487 to Henry I of Lüneburg
- Wolfgang (b. Meissen, ca. 1473 – d. Torgau, ca. 1478).
- Trim, David J. B. (2003). The Chivalric Ethos and the Development of Military Professionalism. BRILL. ISBN 978-9004120952.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ernest, Elector of Saxony.|
Ernest, Elector of SaxonyBorn: 24 March 144126 August
| Elector of Saxony
| Landgrave of Thuringia