Eudora - Catfish Capital of Arkansas
Location in Chicot County and the state of Arkansas
|• Mayor||Steven Tisdale|
|• Total||3.1 sq mi (7.9 km2)|
|• Land||3.1 sq mi (7.9 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||135 ft (41 m)|
|• Density||740/sq mi (285.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0057731|
Eudora is located in southern Chicot County at  U.S. Route 65 passes through the city, leading north 17 miles (27 km) to Lake Village, the Chicot County seat, northeast (via U.S. Route 82) 29 miles (47 km) to Greenville, Mississippi, and south 24 miles (39 km) to Lake Providence, Louisiana. Grand Lake, a former channel of the Mississippi River, is 4 miles (6 km) to the southeast.(33.114608, -91.262653).
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,819 people, 1,047 households, and 731 families residing in the city. The population density was 918.2 people per square mile (354.5/km²). There were 1,163 housing units at an average density of 378.8 per square mile (146.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 13.94% White, 84.50% Black or African American, 0.04% Native American, 0.18% Asian, 0.46% from other races, and 0.89% from two or more races. 1.38% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,047 households out of which 34.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 30.5% were married couples living together, 34.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.1% were non-families. 26.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.69 and the average family size was 3.24.
In the city the population was spread out with 32.4% under the age of 18, 9.4% from 18 to 24, 23.7% from 25 to 44, 20.0% from 45 to 64, and 14.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 80.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 68.9 males. The median income for a household in the city was $17,857, and the median income for a family was $19,840. Males had a median income of $20,729 versus $15,262 for females. The per capita income for the city was $9,437. About 34.6% of families and 36.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 43.3% of those under age 18 and 30.0% of those age 65 or over.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Eudora has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- Charley Barnes - NFL end, born in Eudora
- Frank Burgess - U.S. Federal Judge, United States District Court for the Western District of Washington, born in Eudora
- Camille Keaton - actress
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Eudora city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 16, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Climate Summary for Eudora, Arkansas
- City of Eudora official website
- History of Eudora's Jewish community (from the Institute of Southern Jewish Life)