Keaton c. 1972
July 20, 1947 |
Pine Bluff, Arkansas, U.S.
|Other names||Vickie Kehl, Vickie Lahl|
(m. 1979; div. 1982)
(m. 1993; d. 2005)
|Awards||Medalla Sitges en Plata de Ley (1978)|
Camille Keaton (born July 20, 1947)[a] is an American actress and model. She is best known for her role as Jennifer Hills in the controversial 1978 film I Spit on Your Grave. She began her career in Italy, making her film debut as Solange Beauregard in the giallo film What Have You Done to Solange? (1972), and starred in several other Italian horror films through the early 1970s. In 2015, Keaton reprised her role as Jennifer Hills for the upcoming film, I Spit on Your Grave: Deja Vu, which is set for release in 2018.
Keaton was born in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. She is the granddaughter of silent film comedian Buster Keaton. She attended middle school in Eudora, Arkansas until 1960 when her family moved to Atlanta, Georgia.
Keaton relocated to Italy in 1971, where she had signed with a talent agent, and appeared in several commercials. Her debut role was in 1972 playing the role of Solange, a missing woman, in Massimo Dallamano's movie of the giallo genre entitled What Have You Done to Solange? Though a small role, her delicate and fragile physique got immediate attention. Robert Marcucci says of her role as Solange, "She truly steals every scene she's in, simply drifting in and out of each of her scenes, her face and mannerisms mysterious and alluring." The same year, she appeared as the lead in the Italian horror film Tragic Ceremony (1972).
In November 1972, Keaton was a centerfold in the Italian men's entertainment magazine Playmen. In September 1974, she was on the cover of Playmen. Keaton returned to the United States in 1975, settling in New York City. She then appeared as Jennifer Hills, a rape victim, in the exploitation film I Spit On Your Grave (1978), directed by her then-husband, Meir Zarchi. For her performance, she won the Medalla Sitges en Plata de Ley (Sitges Sterling Silver Medal) Best Actress award at the 1978 Sitges - Catalan International Film Festival.
In 1979, Keaton married Meir Zarchi, the director of I Spit on Your Grave; they divorced in 1982. She was married to film producer Sidney Luft from March 20, 1993 until Luft's death on September 15, 2005. She does not have any children.
|1972||What Have You Done to Solange?||Solange Beauregard|
|Decameron II||Alibech||Italian: Decameron No. 2 – Le altre novelle di Boccaccio|
|1973||Il gatto di Brooklyn aspirante detective II||Guendalina Bacherozza de Porcaris|
|The Witch's Sex||Ann||Italian: Il sesso della strega|
|1974||Madeleine, Study of a Nightmare||Madeleine||Italian: Madeleine, anatomia di un incubo|
|1978||I Spit on Your Grave||Jennifer Hills|
|1982||Raw Force||Girl in toilet|
|The Concrete Jungle||Rita Newman|
|1989||No Justice||Preacher's wife|
|1993||Savage Vengeance||Jennifer Hills|
|Sella Turcica||Karmen Roback|
|2012||The Butterfly Room||Olga|
|The Lords of Salem||Doris Von Fux||Uncredited|
|2015||Cabaret Diabolique||Agent Marcia Wilson|
|2017||Death House||Kristi Boon|
|I Spit on Your Grave: Deja Vu||Jennifer Hills|
|Cry for the Bad Man||Marsha Kane|
- Gomarasca, Manlio (November 16, 2015). "Intervista a Camille Keaton". Nocturno (in Italian). Archived from the original on February 3, 2016. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- "Camille Keaton". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- Keaton, Camille (July 20, 2016). "Thank you for sharing Osvaldo". Facebook. Archived from the original on October 14, 2017. Retrieved October 14, 2017.
- Miska, Brad (September 21, 2017). "First Look at Official 'I Spit On Your Grave' Sequel, 'Deja Vu'!". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved September 23, 2017.
- Tweedle, Sam (August 2010). "She Spat On Our Grave: A Conversation with Camille Keaton". Confessions of a Pop Culture Addict. Archived from the original on July 11, 2015. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- Keaton, Camille (2007). "Le avventure Europee di Camille: Camille's European Adventures" (DVD) (Interview). Dark Sky Films. Video on YouTube.
- Klyza, John (July 18, 2009). "I Spit On Your Vengeance: The Donald Farmer Interview". Archived from the original on December 7, 2013.
- Koven 2006, p. 104.
- Jane, R. Ian (2002). Camille Keaton. What Have You Done to Solange? (DVD). Shriek Show.
- Marcucci, Robert (2002). In Search of Solange. What Have You Done to Solange? (DVD). Shriek Show.
- Curti 2017, p. 257.
- Curti 2017, p. 258.
- "I Spit On Your Grave". Photoplay. M.A.P. Ltd. 33 (2–12): xxvii. 1982 – via Google Books.
- Clover, Carol J. (2015) . Men, Women, and Chain Saws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film (Revised ed.). Princeton University Press. p. 114. ISBN 978-1-400-86611-3.
- Speed, F. Maurice. "1979–1980". Film Review: 128.
- Moore, Debi (November 21, 2011). "A Bit of Clarification Regarding Clint Howard's Role in The Lords of Salem". Dread Central. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- Bergan, Ronald (September 19, 2005). "Obituary: Sid Luft". The Guardian. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- Ettinger, Art (2006). "What have they done to Camille Keaton?". Ultra Violent (8): 35–50.
- Curti, Roberto (2017). Riccardo Freda: The Life and Works of a Born Filmmaker. McFarland. ISBN 978-1-476-66970-0.
- Koven, Mikel J. (2006). La Dolce Morte: Vernacular Cinema and the Italian Giallo Film. Scarecrow Press. ISBN 978-0-810-85870-1.