|Occupation||Journalist, financial expert, television personality and author|
Farnoosh Torabi (born February, 1980) is an Iranian-American journalist, author, television personality, and personal finance expert.
Education and personal life
Farnoosh was born to Iranian parents in Worcester, Massachusetts, and attended Harriton High School in suburban Philadelphia. She has a Bachelors of Science in Finance and International Business from Pennsylvania State University and a MS in Journalism from Columbia University. In 2010, she was named an alumna of distinction by Penn State University for graduates under the age of 35.
Farnoosh began her career in 2003 as a researcher and reporter at Money magazine. From 2004 to 2006 she lived in New York City and worked as a business producer and reporter at NY1 News. She later became a financial correspondent for Jim Cramer's TheStreet.com TV from 2006 to 2009 where she covered the stock market, the economy, small business and personal finance.
In 2008, she was the financial correspondent on Real Simple, Real Life. In 2009, she became the host of SOAPnet's The Bank of Mom and Dad, an adaptation of the BBC reality series. The New York Times called her advice on that show "perfectly practical". That year Farnoosh also published You're So Money: Live Rich Even When You're Not. The book focuses on financial advice for young people. Her next book, Psych Yourself Rich was published in 2010 by FT Press.
In 2014, Farnoosh published her third book, When She Makes More: 10 Rules for Breadwinning Women. In it, she candidly addresses how income imbalances affect relationships and family dynamics, and presents a bold strategy to achieving happiness at work and home.
On January 14, 2015, Farnoosh launched the award-winning podcast, So Money. The podcast has been recognized by Inc. Magazine as a "Top Podcast to Grow Your Business."
Farnoosh currently hosts the CNBC primetime series Follow The Leader, where she spends 72 hours embedded in the life of a different superstar entrepreneur to learn how this wildly successful businessperson ticks. The first season premiered on April 6, 2016.
Farnoosh's work and advice has been featured in the NY Times, The Wall Street Journal, Fortune, Forbes, Time, Marie Claire, Glamour, Redbook and USA Today. She’s appeared on all major news and talk shows, including NBC's TODAY Show, CNN, MSNBC, Good Morning America, The View and Live! With Kelly and Michael.
- "Thirteen young Penn Staters honored with Alumni Achievement Award". Penn State Live. April 9, 2010. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- "Real Simple, Real Life Photos", TV Guide, retrieved March 3, 2012
- "Bank of Mom and Dad". SOAPNet. Archived from the original on May 1, 2012. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- Siegel Bernard, Tara (November 12, 2009). "A Reality Show That Eliminates Debt, Not Contenstants". The New York Times. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- Torabi, Farnoosh. "You're So Money: Live Rich, Even When You're Not (9780307406194)". Amazon.com. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- Torabi, Farnoosh. "Psych Yourself Rich: Get the Mindset and Discipline You Need to Build Your Financial Life (9780137079278):". Amazon.com. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- "Financially Fit". Yahoo. Archived from the original on February 24, 2012. Retrieved March 3, 2012.