|Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Consecration||9 June 832|
|Died||30 August 832|
Feologild (or Feologeld; died 832) was probably a medieval English Archbishop of Canterbury, although slight controversy surrounds his election, with at least a couple of modern historians arguing that instead of being elected, he was merely an unsuccessful candidate for the office. He died soon after his consecration, if he was consecrated.
Feologild attended the Council of Clovesho in 803, and was listed on the acts of that council as an abbot of a Kentish monastery. He was elected to the see of Canterbury in early 832 and consecrated on 9 June 832. He died on 30 August 832. Some controversy surrounds whether or not he was actually elected as archbishop, with the historian Nicholas Brooks suggesting that there was a disputed election after the death of Wulfred, and Feologild was one of the contenders. The historian Simon Keynes holds that the other contestant was Suithred, or Swithred, who the historian William Hunt in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography argues is identical with Feologild. Swithred is listed as archbishop in some early lists of the archbishops of Canterbury.
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 214
- Hunt "Feologeld (d. 832)" Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Brooks Early History of the Church of Canterbury pp. 142–143
- Keynes "Ceolnoth" Blackwell Encyclopedia of Anglo-Saxon England
- "Swithred 1". Prosopography of Anglo-Saxon England. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- Brooks, Nicholas (1984). The Early History of the Church of Canterbury: Christ Church from 597 to 1066. London: Leicester University Press. ISBN 0-7185-0041-5.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Hunt, William (2004). "Feologeld (d. 832)" ((subscription or UK public library membership required)). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. revised by Marios Costambeys. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/9307. Retrieved 7 November 2007.
- Keynes, Simon (2001). "Ceolnoth". In Lapidge, Michael; Blair, John; Keynes, Simon; Scragg, Donald. The Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Anglo-Saxon England. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing. pp. 92–93. ISBN 978-0-631-22492-1.
|Archbishop of Canterbury