Fernando Sulichin is an Argentine filmmaker and philanthropist.
He sits on the board of CORE (formerly J/P Haitian Relief Organization), American actor Sean Penn’s foundation that was initially established to deliver humanitarian relief during the Haitian disaster in January 2010.
In addition to humanitarian causes, Sulichin has been involved in raising awareness about environmental issues and climate change, for which he received the National Order of the Légion d'honneur in 2015.
In June 2019, Sulichin spoke at the Peace to Prosperity workshop in Bahrain. Sulichin sat on a panel with the head of the international football federation (FIFA) Gianni Infantino and the pair discussed the role that entertainment and sport could play in brokering peace in the Middle East.
Sulichin is the founder of two production companies, Central Films and New Element Media, which have produced a number of films such as Sundance Prize Winner “Love Liza“ (2003) by Todd Louiso and Mary (2004) by Abel Ferrara, winner at Venice Film Festival.
In addition to fictional films, Sulichin has produced documentaries and films about high-profile living individuals, partnering with Oliver Stone to make films on Vladimir Putin, Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, and Snowden.
Sulichin was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and moved to the United States in the late 1980s to study architecture at UCLA. While studying he became interested in the film industry and ever completed his architecture studies.
Sulichin's career in film started when he met Spike Lee who made him the associate producer of his 1992 film Malcolm X. Sulichin is credited with securing permission for the film crew to enter Mecca and for getting Nelson Mandela to perform a cameo role in the film.
In 2016, it was reported that Sulichin accompanied actors Sean Penn and Kate del Castillo on their secret meeting with El Chapo in his hideout in the mountains of Durango prior to his arrest. The now famous meeting was purportedly to discuss the prospect of making a movie about the Sinaloa cartel leader. However, the Mexican authorities later insinuated that tracking the group’s visit aided them in arresting El Chapo arrest three months later. This led to speculation that the group may have been working with the US and Mexican authorities to locate one of the most wanted criminals and notorious drug lords. Both Penn and del Castillo have said that they have feared for their lives since the ill-fated meeting.
Honours and awards
|1992||Malcolm X||Associate Producer||Feature length|
|1994||Touch Base||Associate Producer||Short film|
|1995||The Addiction||Producer||Feature length|
|2002||Love Liza||Producer||Feature length|
|2003||Tiptoes||Executive producer||TV documentary series|
|2003||Persona Non Grata||Producer||Documentary|
|2004||She Hate Me||Producer||Feature length|
|2004||Alexander||Co-executive producer||Feature length|
|2006||Looking for Fidel||Producer||Documentary|
|2009||I Come with the Rain||Producer||Feature length|
|2009||South of the Border||Producer||Documentary|
|2010||The Killer Inside Me||Executive Producer||Feature length|
|2012||Castro in Winter||Producer||Documentary|
|2012||Savages||Executive producer||Feature length|
|2012||Spring Breakers||Executive producer||Feature length|
|2012-2013||The Untold History of the United States||Producer||TV documentary series|
|2014||Mi Amigo Hugo||Producer||Documentary|
|2014||It’s a Beautiful World||Producer||Documentary|
|2014||Go Brasil Go!||Producer||Documentary|
|2017||Little Heroes||Producer||Feature length|
|2017||The Putin Interviews||Producer||TV documentary series|
|2018||At Eternity’s Gate||Executive producer||Feature length|
|2018||London Field||Executive producer||Feature length|
- Mitchell, Wendy. "Fernando Sulichin". Screen Daily. Retrieved 2020-05-29.
- Fitzgerald, Toni. "Producer Fernando Sulichin On Interviewing World Leaders And The New 'Big Lebowski'". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-05-29.
- "Staff". CORE. Retrieved 2020-05-29.
- "Sean Penn's star-studded CORE Gala in L.A. raises $5 million". Los Angeles Times. 2020-01-16. Retrieved 2020-05-29.
- "David Lynch Foundation UK". www.davidlynchfoundation.org.uk. Retrieved 2020-05-29.
- Décret du 3 avril 2015 portant nomination, retrieved 2020-05-29
- "Bahrain conference: Peace critical for US plan for Mideast". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2020-05-29.
- Mitchell2010-07-29T12:43:00+01:00, Wendy. "Fernando Sulichin". Screen. Retrieved 2019-05-16.
- Rushe, Dominic (2017-06-12). "Oliver Stone on Vladimir Putin: 'The Russian people have never been better off'". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- Xavi, Ledesma (October 20, 2017). "From Chávez to Putin: what does the best-known Argentine producer in Hollywood think". Apretura.
- de Moraes, Lisa (May 1, 2017). "Oliver Stone's 'The Putin Interviews' Debuts On Showtime In June". Deadline.
- Fitzgerald, Toni. "Producer Fernando Sulichin On Interviewing World Leaders And The New 'Big Lebowski'". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- Child, Ben (2016-03-11). "Oliver Stone denies reports he planned El Chapo movie with Sean Penn". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-05-29.
- Draper, Robert. "The Actress Who Dazzled El Chapo". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2020-05-29.
- Alexander, Harriet (2016-03-09). "Oliver Stone 'orchestrated Sean Penn's meeting with El Chapo'". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2020-05-29.
- Miller, Matt (2017-10-20). "Sean Penn Thinks He'll Be Murdered Because of This El Chapo Netflix Documentary". Esquire. Retrieved 2020-05-29.
- Mcnary, Dave (June 19, 2019). "Sean Penn to Direct, Star in 'Flag Day' With Daughter Dylan Penn". Variety.
- Mcnary, Dave (August 13, 2018). "Benicio Del Toro to Star in Oliver Stone's Drama 'White Lies'". Variety.
- "Culture : les décorés de la Légion d'honneur de Pâques 2015 | www.louvrepourtous.fr". www.louvrepourtous.fr. Retrieved 2019-05-16.
This article needs additional or more specific categories. (September 2019)