I Come with the Rain
|I Come with the Rain|
|Directed by||Tran Anh Hung|
|Produced by||Fernando Sulichin
|Written by||Tran Anh Hung|
Trần Nữ Yên Khê
|Music by||Gustavo Santaolalla
|Cinematography||Juan Ruiz Anchía|
|Edited by||Mario Battistel|
|Distributed by||TF1 International|
After making three movies about Vietnam, Tran Anh Hung intended to make a baroque action film, a passionate thriller, both intense and poetic, haunted by three characters from the mythology of film and the Western world: the serial killer, the private investigator, and the Christ figure.
The film score is written by the Argentine Academy Award Winner Gustavo Santaolalla and the English alternative rock band Radiohead. The filmmaker also makes heavy use of post-rock music, including songs by Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and A Silver Mt. Zion.
Two years after killing Hasford, a serial killer, in the line of duty, Kline now works as a private detective, but he is still haunted by the ghosts of his past. A powerful pharmaceutical conglomerate boss hires Kline to find his only son Shitao who has mysteriously disappeared in the Philippines where he had been helping in an orphanage.
Kline follows the trail left by the ethereal Shitao to the jungles of Mindanao, and then to the urban jungle of Hong Kong, where he enlists the help of Meng Zi, an old police officer friend. The search leads Kline to cross paths with local organized crime syndicate boss Su Dongpo, who is making trouble for the underworld, triggered by an overriding passion for his drug-addicted girlfriend Lili.
Caught in the crossfire between the Hong Kong police and Su Dongpo's mafia drug ring which is also hunting for Shitao, Kline finds himself alone, in this unknown city, when Meng Zi is victim of an assassination attempt and is hospitalised.
Leaving behind his 5-star hotel for a shabby murder scene apartment in order to get inside the mind of Shitao, Kline gradually loses himself in the terrifying memories of Hasford, whose speciality was dissecting his victims' limbs while they were still alive, then reassembling them into installation sculptures.
- Josh Hartnett as Kline
- Elias Koteas as Hasford
- Lee Byung-hun as Su Dongpo
- Takuya Kimura as Shitao
- Shawn Yue as Meng Zi
- Trần Nữ Yên Khê as Lili
- Eusebio Poncela as Vargas
- Sam Lee as The Monk Artist
- Carl Ng as The Dead Sack Man
- William Chow Tze Ho as Mi Fu
- Bo-yuan Chan as Dai Xi
- Russ Kingston as Felix Sportis
- Jo Kuk as The 9mm Lover
- David Tang as Wang Wei
- Thea Aquino as The Erotic Dancer
- Alvaro Longoria as The Psychiatrist
- Benito Sagredo as The Male Nurse
- "I Come with the Rain". Box Office Mojo.
- Director's notes, TF1 International
- "Japanese teaser for Anh Hung Tran’s "I Come with the Rain"". Nippon Cinema (Kevin Ouellette). May 9, 2009. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Synopsis, Central Films
- "Blood is the new black". The Japan Online (Kaori Shoji). June 5, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- ""I Come With The Rain" screening at the Fresh Film Fest". Flixster (Fresh Film Fest). July 2009. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- "Three world-class actors gather in S. Korea's Int'l Film Festival". China View (Yan). October 9, 2009. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- "Heartthrob Trio Takes Busan by Storm". The Korea Times (Lee Hyo-won). October 11, 2009. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- International Competition 2009 , Fantastisk Film Festival Lund 23 September - 2 Oktober 2010
- What happens at Lund International Fantastic Film Festival 2010?, Fantastisk Film Festival Lund 23 September - 2 Oktober 2010
- "I Come with the Rain : To Screen At Empire Open Cinema 2010". Absolute Josh Hartnett (Olivier). August 11, 2010. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- "I Come with the Rain - Institute for Media, Architecture and Design, Moscow, Russia". Kontramarka.ru (in Russian). August 2010. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Official website
- I Come with the Rain at the Internet Movie Database
- I Come with the Rain at Rotten Tomatoes
- I Come with the Rain at Box Office Mojo
- International Sales (TF1 International)