|Comune di Filignano|
Town hall and church square
Filignano within the Province of Isernia
|Province / Metropolitan city||Isernia (IS)|
|Frazioni||Bottazzella, Cerasuolo, Cerreto, Collemacchia, Franchitti, Frunzo, Lagoni, Mastrogiovanni, Mennella, Selvone, Valerio, Valle|
|• Mayor||Lorenzo Coia (from 2014) (Municipal List)|
|• Total||30.88 km2 (11.92 sq mi)|
|Elevation||460 m (1,510 ft)|
|• Density||22/km2 (56/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Filignano is located 74 kilometres (46 mi) west of Campobasso, 24 kilometres (15 mi) southwest of Isernia, 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) north of Venafro, and 34 kilometres (21 mi) east of Cassino. It is a hill town surrounded by the Mainarde mountain range, in the Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise National Park.
The municipal territory, bordering with the region of Lazio and not too far from Campania, borders with the municipalities of Acquafondata (FR), Colli a Volturno, Montaquila, Pozzilli, Rocchetta a Volturno, Scapoli, and Vallerotonda (FR). It counts the hamlets (frazioni) of Bottazzella, Cerasuolo, Cerreto, Collemacchia, Franchitti, Frunzo, Lagoni, Mastrogiovanni, Mennella, Selvone, Valerio, and Valle.
During the 20th Century, the population of Filignano has been decreasing due to emigration in Northern Italy and in the United Kingdom. In the municipality, especially in the village of Cerasuolo, there is a large community of Italian Scots, children and grandchildren of Filignanese immigrants, returning from Scotland.
- Mario Lanza (1921-1959), Italian-American tenor and actor, was originary of Filignano. The town hosts a "Mario Lanza Festival" every August.
- (Italian) Source: Istat 2013
- (Italian) Historical infos about Filignano
- (Italian) Filignano on Volturno Mountain Community website
- 41373 Filignano on OpenStreetMap
- (Italian) Article about Filignanese Scots (molisenetwork.net)
- (Italian) Article about the "2012 Scottish Festival" of Filignano (venafrano.org)
- i.e. "Town Hall Square"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Filignano.|