Filippo Grandi in April 2016
|United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees|
|Assumed office |
1 January 2016
|Preceded by||António Guterres|
|Born||1957 (age 63–64)|
He previously served as Commissioner-General of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) and United Nations Deputy Special Representative for Afghanistan.
Grandi has a bachelor's degree in philosophy from the universities of Venice and Milan, and from the Gregorian University in Rome.
Grandi started his career in the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in 1988, and has served in a variety of countries, including Sudan, Syria, Turkey, and Iraq after the first Gulf War. He also headed a number of emergency operations including in Kenya, Benin, Ghana, Liberia, the Great Lakes Region of Central Africa, Yemen and Afghanistan. Between 1996 and 1997, he was Field Coordinator for UNHCR and United Nations humanitarian activities in the Democratic Republic of Congo during the civil war. From 1997 to 2001, he worked in the Executive Office of the UNHCR in Geneva, as Special Assistant and then Chief of Staff. From 2001 to 2004, he served as the UNHCR's Chief of Mission.
Grandi then moved to the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) in 2004, where he served as Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General responsible for political affairs from 2004 to 2005. In 2005 he moved to UNRWA, first as Deputy Commissioner-General and then from 2010 as Commissioner-General until 29 March 2014.
On 11 November 2015 UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon announced his intention to appoint Grandi as the next United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees to take office in 2016."Secretary-General Nominates Filippo Grandi of Italy United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees". un.org. 2015-11-11. Retrieved 2020-07-16. On 23 November 2020, the United Nations General Assembly re-elected Grandi for an additional 2.5 year mandate as High Commissioner for Refugees. 
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), Ex-Officio Member of the Committee of Cosponsoring Organizations (since 2016)
- International Gender Champions (IGC), Member
- Paris School of International Affairs (PSIA), Member of the Strategic Committee
- World Economic Forum (WEF), Member of the Global Future Council on the Future of the Humanitarian System
- List of Directors and Commissioners-General of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East
- "UN appoints Filippo Grandi as next high commissioner for refugees". The Guardian. 2015-11-12. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- Filippo Grandi Ends Term as UNRWA Commissioner-General, UNRWA
- "UN General Assembly extends mandate for High Commissioner Grandi". UNHCR. UNHCR. Retrieved 18 February 2021.
- World Economic Forum 2019 Annual Meeting launching a new Humanitarian Investing Initiative World Economic Forum, press release of January 18, 2019.
- Leadership Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS).
- Members International Gender Champions (IGC).
- Strategic Committee Paris School of International Affairs (PSIA).
- Global Future Council: The Future of the Humanitarian System World Economic Forum.
|Positions in intergovernmental organisations|
Karen Koning AbuZayd ()
| Commissioner-General for United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East
January 20, 2010–March 29, 2014
Pierre Krähenbühl ()
| United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees