9 January 1984 |
Assela, Arsi, Ethiopia
Firehiwot Tufa Dado (born January 9, 1984 in Assela, Arsi) is a female long-distance runner from Ethiopia, who won the New York City Marathon in 2011 with a personal best time of 2:23:15 hours. She also took three consecutive victories in the Rome City Marathon.
She has also competed in 10K competitions and was the 2008 winner of the Casablanca Women's Run. She made her marathon debut that year at the Košice Peace Marathon and managed to finish as runner-up on her first attempt. She received a late-minute invitation to run the Rome City Marathon in March 2009 and went on to surprise the field by winning the race in a time of 2:27:08 hours – over ten minutes faster than her previous best. Her second race over the distance that year came at the Frankfurt Marathon, where she again finished under two and a half hours to take fourth place. Firehiwot won the Boulogne-Billancourt Half Marathon in November with a course record time of 1:09:26 – the first time a woman had run under an hour and ten minutes at the race.
She fell back in the second half the 2010 Mumbai Marathon, eventually taking fifth place, but returned to form at the Rome Marathon, where she defended her title in a best of 2:25:28 hours She set a previous personal best of 2:25:28 in the classic distance on March 21, 2010 in Rome, Italy. The 2010 Fifth Third River Bank Run saw her break the course record for the 25K race, beating Joan Samuelson's time which had stood since 1986. She won the Florence Marathon tha year, beating second-placed Meseret Mengistu by almost two minutes.
Firehiwot took an unprecedented third straight title in Rome in 2011 and knocked over a minute off her best in the process, completing the race in 2:24:13 hours. She established herself among the world's foremost women marathon runners with a victory at the 2011 New York City Marathon, where she held off Buzunesh Deba and Mary Keitany to win in a time of 2:23:15 hours. She opened her 2012 season with a course record win at the New York City Half Marathon, where she maintained a fast starting pace to hold off Kimberley Smith and set a new best of 1:08:35 hours. The 2012 Boston Marathon was undertaken in warm conditions and she managed fourth place behind a Kenyan trio. She won the 2014 Prague Marathon in a time of 2:23:34 as six Ethiopians finished in the top six in the women's competition.
|2008||Košice Peace Marathon||Košice, Slovakia||2nd||Marathon||2:37:34|
|2009||Rome City Marathon||Rome, Italy||1st||Marathon||2:27:08|
|Frankfurt Marathon||Frankfurt, Germany||4th||Marathon||2:29:20|
|2010||Mumbai Marathon||Mumbai, India||5th||Marathon||2:33:38|
|Rome City Marathon||Rome, Italy||1st||Marathon||2:25:28|
|Florence Marathon||Florence, Italy||1st||Marathon||2:28:58|
|2011||Rome City Marathon||Rome, Italy||1st||Marathon||2:24:13|
|New York City Marathon||New York City, USA||1st||Marathon||2:23:15|
|2012||New York City Half Marathon||New York, USA||1st||Half Marathon||1:08:35|
|Boston Marathon||Massachusetts, USA||4th||Marathon||2:34:56|
|2014||Prague Marathon||Prague, Czech Republic||1st||Marathon||2:23:34|
- FIREHIWOT DADO. 116th Boston Marathon. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- Firehiwot Dado. Elite Sports Management International. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- Benchrif, Mohammed (18 May 2008). "26,000 take part in Casablanca's Women's Run". IAAF. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Juck, Alfons (5 October 2008). "Fighing [sic] strong winds, Yirdawe takes Kosice Peace Marathon in 2:10:51". IAAF. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Sampaolo, Diego (22 March 2009). "Kiptoo clocks 2:07:17 in Rome, fastest ever in Italy". IAAF. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Butcher, Pat (25 October 2009). "Kirwa breaks course record with 2:06:14 in Frankfurt". IAAF. Archived from the original on 23 October 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- Boulogne-Billancourt Half-Marathon History Archived November 22, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.. Semi-marathon de Boulogne-Billancourt. Retrieved 22 November 2011.
- Krishnan, Ram. Murali (17 January 2010). "Ndiso and Urgesa take Mumbai titles". IAAF. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Sampaolo, Diego (21 March 2010). "Ethiopian double as Rome celebrates Bikila – Rome Marathon report". IAAF. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Post, Marty (18 May 2011). River Bank 25 km. Association of Road Racing Statisticians. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- Sampaolo, Diego (29 November 2010). "Beating the rain and cold, Dado and debutante Tadese triumph in Florence". IAAF. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Sampaolo, Diego (20 March 2011). "Dado takes third straight Rome title as Chumba surprises". IAAF. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Morse, Parker (6 November 2011). "G. Mutai smashes course record, Dado the surprise women's winner in New York". IAAF. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Kirui and Dado triumph in New York Half Marathon". IAAF. 18 March 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Morse, Parker (16 April 2012). "Korir and Cherop the best as warm weather slows Boston". IAAF. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Kenya's Terer wins Prague international marathon, Ethiopia's Dado claims women's race". The Republic. 11 May 2014. Retrieved 13 May 2014.