- Fouke redirects here. For the medieval outlaw, see Fulk FitzWarin.
Location in Miller County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||1 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|• Land||1 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||312 ft (95 m)|
|• Density||859/sq mi (318.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0057767|
Fouke // is a city in Miller County, Arkansas, United States. It is part of the Texarkana, Texas - Texarkana, Arkansas Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 859 at the 2010 census. It received brief widespread attention in the early 1970s due to sightings/claims of a bigfoot-like creature known as the "Fouke Monster," as well as the subsequent fictitious docudrama movie The Legend of Boggy Creek, which played nationwide.
Fouke is located at (33.260908, -93.886629).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 859 people, 291 households, and 220 families residing in the town. The population density was 777.8 inhabitants per square mile (299.3/km²). There were 336 housing units at an average density of 321.1 per square mile (123.6/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 95.45% White, 0.25% Black or African American, 2.46% Native American, 0.61% from other races, and 1.23% from two or more races. 1.72% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 291 households out of which 47.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.7% were married couples living together, 13.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.1% were non-families. 21.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.80 and the average family size was 3.26.
In the town the population was spread out with 33.8% under the age of 18, 11.8% from 18 to 24, 28.5% from 25 to 44, 16.7% from 45 to 64, and 9.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 27 years. For every 100 females there were 95.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $25,192, and the median income for a family was $35,089. Males had a median income of $26,938 versus $20,375 for females. The per capita income for the town was $11,075. About 18.0% of families and 17.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.4% of those under age 18 and 26.7% of those age 65 or over.
Images of Town
First Baptist Church of Fouke
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fouke, Arkansas.|
- Local.Arkansas.gov - Fouke, retrieved September 3, 2012
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Allan Zullo, The Ten Creepiest Creatures In America. The Fouke Monster is discussed.
- Fouke is also mentioned in Stephen King's The Stand, as a town in the same general location, having a nuclear power plant.