|Occupation||Photojournalist specializing in social & environmental issues|
|Known for||Bishnoi, Transboundary Rivers|
Franck Vogel (born 1977, in Strasbourg, France) is a French photographer specializing in social & environmental issues, journalist, speaker and documentary film director. He lives and works in Paris.
Life and work
Vogel is known for his stories on environmental issues (The Bishnois: ecologists since the 15th century), social (Albinos: Massacre in Tanzania), ethnological (Vlachs of the Balkans, the most discreet community in the Balkans) and geopolitics (a long term project on some transboundary rivers experiencing tension due to water access including the Nile, the Brahmaputra, the Colorado River and the Jordan River). He was interviewed by BBC News on his rivers' project while visiting Singapore for his exhibit at Gardens by the Bay, and gave talks at Columbia University with the Earth Institute both on the Bishnois and on the Transboundary Rivers' project. La Martinière, a French publishing house, released in Sept 2016 the 1st volume Fleuves Frontières (Transboundary Rivers: Will war for water happen?), and in the meantime an exhibition on the Colorado River is presented in Paris at the Pavillon de l'Eau.
His work has been published in GEO magazine, Stern, Paris Match, NRC Weekblad, Animan, Le Monde diplomatique. He has had exhibitions in two Parisian Metro stations (Montparnasse and Luxembourg), in Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur in India, Photokina in Germany, in Yangon in Burma, in Dali in China and in Kazakhstan (Astana and Almaty).
Vogel wrote and co-directed a documentary film The Bishnois: India's eco-warriors (Rajasthan, l'âme d'un prophète) (52 min, France 5, 2011). The film was awarded the Phoenix d'Or 2011 and the Terre Sauvage Award 2013. Télérama magazine wrote of it that "If everyone could watch this documentary, the Earth would be better off". In October 2013, he received the highest recognition by the Bishnoi community to spread the Bishnoi philosophy.
- Franck Vogel Biography, FranckVogel.com
- Biography - In)(between gallery
- Canon presents his work on the Bishnois
- Article on the albinos in Visura magazine
- Article on the albinos in Life Force Magazine
- Reportage on the Vlachs for GEO magazine (France)
- Transboundary Rivers project
- Story for GEO magazine on the Colorado River
- Story for GEO magazine on the Jordan River
- BBC News - Franck Vogel talks about his project Transboundary Rivers - April 19, 2016
- Transboundary River exhibition at Gardens by the Bay during Voilah! French Festival Singapore
- Talk at Columbia University with the Earth Institute on the Bishnois
- Talk at Columbia University with the Earth Institute on Transboundary Rivers
- Book on Transboundary Rivers by edition de La Martinière, 2016
- Exhibition on the Colorado River in Paris at the Pavillon de l'Eau from May to Dec 2016
- Huge Bishnois exhibition at Luxembourg station - Parisian Metro in 2012
- Bishnois exhibition - Jodhpur Fort in India - 2013
- Bishnois exhibition - Photokina 2012
- Bishnois exhibition - DIPE 2015 (Dali International Photo Exhibition) in China
- Bishnois screening on skyscrapers in Astana, Kazakhstan,Bishnois exhibition - French Embassy in Kazakhstan press release
- Bishnois film trailer by France 5 TV channel
- Rajasthan l'âme d'un prophète was awarded the Phoenix d’Or 2011
- Phoenix d'or Award
- "Rajasthan, l'âme d'un prophète" awarded the Prix Terre Sauvage 2013
- Article in French by Telerama on "Rajasthan, l'âme d'un prophète"
- Article on "Rajasthan, l'âme d'un prophète" in Le Monde
- Highest Bishnoi recognition awarded to Franck Vogel
- Green Cross France's ambassador list on Green Cross official website