Lanting in 2009
|Born||July 13, 1951|
|Residence||Santa Cruz, California, U.S.|
Frans Lanting (born July 13, 1951) is a Dutch photographer specializing in wildlife photography.
Frans Lanting was born in Rotterdam and later emigrated to the United States after being educated in the Netherlands. He now lives in Santa Cruz, California and operates a studio and gallery, as well as a stock photography services. Lanting's wife Christine Eckstrom is a writer, editor, producer, and works on joint books of nature photography.
Lanting works in many different parts of the world including the Amazon basin, Africa and Antarctica. His photographs are regularly published in National Geographic, where he served as photographer-in-residence. He is also featured in Outdoor Photographer, Audubon, and Life. A 2005 exhibit in the Field Museum of Natural History entitled Jungles focused on the plants and animals of the rainforest.
Lanting's 2006 exhibit, Life: A Journey Through Time, part of the Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music in Santa Cruz, California, combined his photography with the music of Philip Glass. A traveling exhibition, Frans Lanting: LIFE began in fall 2006 at the Dutch natural history museum in Leiden, Netherlands. The show then traveled through Europe and the United States.
Lanting is a Fellow of the International League of Conservation Photographers (ILCP).
In August 2012 Lanting became an ambassador of the World Wide Fund for Nature in the Netherlands. On August 25, 2012 a special concert version of LIFE was held in the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam celebrating 50 years of the World Wide Fund for Nature.
- 29 May - 30 August 1998 "Eye in Eye", Natuurhistorisch Museum Rotterdam
- 16 April - 9 May 1999 "Animals and Earth", Oude Kerk (Amsterdam) in Amsterdam
- 5 October 2000 - 14 January 2001 "Jungles" about tropical rainwood, Naturalis in Leiden
- 23 September 2006 -2 September 2007, "LIFE" a journey through life, Naturalis in Leiden
- May - July 2012, Exposition Life - A journey through time at SS Rotterdam in Harbour Rotterdam
- 9 June - 4 September 2016, Solo exhibition - Dialogue with Nature, Netherlands Photo Museum in Rotterdam
- 1988 – World Press Photo
- 1989 – World Press Photo
- 1991 – Wildlife Photographer of the Year
- 1997 – Ansel Adams Award for Conservation Photography Award, Sierra Club
- 1997 – 2nd prize Nature and Environment Stories, World Press Photo
- 1999 – Lanting was awarded an Honorary Fellowship of The Royal Photographic Society in 1999. These are awarded to distinguished persons having, from their position or attainments, an intimate connection with the science or fine art of photography or the application thereof.
- 2001 H.R.H. Prince Bernhard inducted him as a Knight in the Royal Order of the Golden Ark, the Netherlands' highest conservation honor.
- 2005 – Lennart Nilsson Award
- 2008 – Photographer of the Year, Photoimaging Manufacturers and Distributors Association
- 2010 – The Royal Geographical Society's Cherry Kearton Medal and Award
- 2015 - WNF-Frans Lanting Award by World Wide Fund for Nature
- 2018 - Wildlife Photographer of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award 
- 1982 – Feathers
- 1985 – Islands of the West
- 1990 – The Albatrosses of Midway Island
- 1990 – Madagascar, A World Out of Time
- 1993 – Forgotten Edens, Exploring the World's Wild Places (with Christine Eckstrom)
- 1993 – Okavango, Africa's Last Eden (with Christine Eckstrom)
- 1996 – Animal Athletes
- 1997 – Bonobo, The Forgotten Ape (with Frans de Waal)
- 1997 – Eye to Eye, Intimate Encounters With the Animal World (with Christine Eckstrom)
- 1999 – Living Planet, Preserving Edens of the Earth (with David Doubilet and Galen Rowell)
- 2000 – Jungles (with Christine Eckstrom)
- 2003 – Penguin (with Christine Eckstrom)
- 2006 – LIFE, A Journey Through Time
- 2017 – Into Africa
- "Frans Lanting". Photographer Biography. National Geographic Society. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "Frans Lanting". ILCP Fellow web site. Archived from the original on March 20, 2012. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- Exhibition Life on the SS Rotterdam Archived May 10, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Frans Lanting ambassador WNF
- "LIFE Concert – WNF 50 Jaar – Campagnes Wereld Natuur Fonds". Archived from the original on October 14, 2012. Retrieved May 20, 2013. (In Dutch)
- "Phil Askey of DPReview.com Selected as PMDA Person of the Year" (Press release). Digital Photography Review. October 29, 2007. Retrieved October 30, 2007.
- "Medals and Awards" (PDF). Royal Geographical Society. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 2, 2013. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- "Wildlife Photographer of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award 2018".