|Alma mater||National University of Rwanda|
(Bachelor of Science in Agricultural engineering)
Michigan State University
(Master of Science in plant breeding, genetics, and biotechnology)
(Doctor of Philosophy in plant breeding, genetics, and biotechnology)
|Occupation||Agriculturist, Researcher, Plant geneticist|
|Years active||2000 — present|
|Known for||Agricultural research|
|Title||Cabinet Minister of Agriculture|
Cabinet of Rwanda
|Spouse(s)||Adelit Nsabimana, PhD|
Early life and education
Mukeshimana was born on 10 December 1970 in present-day Huye District. She has an agricultural engineering degree from the National University of Rwanda and a master's degree (2001) and a PhD (2013) in biotechnology from Michigan State University. Her doctoral thesis was entitled "Dissecting the Genetic Complexity of Drought Tolerance Mechanisms in Common Bean (Phaseolus Vulgaris L.)" In 2012, she was awarded the 2012 Board for International Food and Agriculture Development (BIFAD) Student Award for Scientific Excellence for her contributions to Rwanda's bean breeding program.
Mukeshimana was appointed Minister of Agriculture and Animal Resources in the cabinet of Prime Minister Anastase Murekezi in July 2014. She retained her position in a May 2016 cabinet reshuffle by President Paul Kagame.
In June 2016, Mukeshimana hosted the 7th African Agriculture Science Week and General Assembly of the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) in Kigali, which produced a six-point call to action to achieve the "Africa Feed Africa" initiative. In the cabinet reshuffle of 31 August 2017, Mukeshimana retained her cabinet post and her portfolio.
- Mukeshimana, Gerardine; Lasley, Amy L. (May 2014). "Identification of Shoot Traits Related to Drought Tolerance in Common Bean Seedlings". Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science. American Society for Horticultural Science.
- Mukeshimana, Gerardine; Butare, Louis; Cregan, Perry B.; Kelly, James D. (May 2014). "Quantitative Trait Loci Associated with Drought Tolerance in Common Bean". Crop Science. doi:10.2135/cropsci2013.06.0427.
- Umutesi, Doreen (31 July 2014). "Meet the new female faces in cabinet". New Times (Rwanda). Kigali. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- Rwanda Today (26 December 2014). "Rwandans who will be the centre of focus in 2015". The East African. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "MINAGRI gets new ministers". Republic of Rwanda Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources.
- "Gerardine Mukeshimana". Norman E. Bourlag Leadership Enhancement in Agriculture Program.
- "Rwandan Ambassador to Nigeria returns as Sports Minister to Kigali". ATQ News. 2 August 2014. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Habineza back at old portfolio and to host Kagame Cup in matter of days". Voice of Sport. 24 July 2014. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Munyaneza, James (10 May 2016). "Rwanda: Kagame Shakes Up Cabinet, Names Three New Governors". The New Times. AfricaTime.com. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Agricultural Scientists Adopt Six-Point Call To Action To Feed Africa". The Herald. 22 June 2016. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Kimenyi, Felly (31 August 2017). "Rwanda gets new Cabinet, who is in?". New Times (Rwanda). Kigali. Retrieved 1 September 2017.