Garena Free Fire
|Developer(s)||111 Dots Studio|
|Release||September 30, 2017 (Beta)|
Garena Free Fire (also known as Free Fire Battlegrounds or Free Fire) is an online multiplayer battle royale game, developed by 111 Dots Studio and published by Garena for Android and iOS. It became the most downloaded mobile game of 2019, due to its popularity, the game received the award for "Best Popular Vote Game" by the Google Play Store in 2019. As of November, 2019, Free Fire has grossed over $1 billion worldwide.
Garena is currently working on an enhanced version of Free Fire which will be called Free Fire Max.
This section does not cite any sources. (May 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The game consists of up to 50 players falling from a parachute on an island in search of weapons and equipment to kill the other players. Players are free to choose their starting position, take weapons and supplies to extend battle life.
When the player joins a game, they will enter a plane, which will fly over the play island. While the plane is flying over the island the player can jump where they want, thus allowing them to choose a strategic place to land away from enemies. After landing, the player must then go looking for weapons and utility items. Medical equipment, medium and large weapons, grenades, and other items featured can be found throughout the island. The ultimate goal of the player is to survive on an island with a maximum of 50-51 players online; this requires eliminating all opponents the player encounters along the way and ensuring that they are the only survivor remaining. The available safe area of the game's map decreases in size over time, directing surviving players into tighter areas to force encounters. The last player or team standing wins the round.
The graphics here were described as having "a benefit for mid and low specification phones", but a reviewer stated that "if games with good graphics are your thing then we don't recommend that you play Free Fire Battlegrounds. But if you like battle royale games and want to have fun with your friends, you should definitely play."
Tais Carvalho of TechTudo commented that Free Fire "prioritizes performance, making it a great choice for any type of device. The gameplay stands out and has enough content to entertain and offer rewarding combat." Regarding the progression of characters and skills, she said it is "a flashy add-on."
Garena Free Fire is one of the most popular battle royale mobile games, behind PUBG Mobile, Fortnite, and Call of Duty: Mobile. Free Fire was the fourth most downloaded game on the Google Play Store in the fourth quarter of 2018, and was the fourth most downloaded game worldwide in 2018 on iOS and the Google Play Store together. The title earned approximately 182 million downloads in 2018, making it the second most downloaded battle royale mobile game (above Fortnite and behind only PUBG Mobile), and grossed approximately $19.3 million in monthly revenues through December 2018, becoming a significant financial success for Garena. As of February, 2020, Free Fire has 500 million downloads on Google Play Store.
- "Free Fire - Thêm một PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds 'made in Vietnam' nữa trên mobile". Gamek (in Vietnamese). 28 September 2017.
- "Free Fire - Thêm một PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds 'made in Vietnam' nữa trên mobile". gamek.vn (in Vietnamese). 28 September 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
- "Email", email, Bloomsbury Academic, 2019, ISBN 978-1-5013-4190-8, retrieved 17 February 2020
- "Garena's battle royale game Free Fire surpasses $1 billion of lifetime revenue".
- "The best games and apps of 2018 according to Google". 3 December 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2019.[dead link]
- Bald, Cameron (31 December 2019). "Garena Free Fire exclusive interview: What does the future hold for 2019's most downloaded mobile game?". Pocket Gamer.
- Jordan, Jon (19 November 2019). "Garena's battle royale game Free Fire surpasses $1 billion of lifetime revenue". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Bald, Cameron. "Garena to release Free Fire Max, an enhanced version of its hit battle royale game". www.pocketgamer.com. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
- "Free Fire Battlegrounds Review: Garena's Fun and Engaging Battle Royale Mobil and Game". 20 February 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Garena Free Fire Best survival Battle Royale on Mobile". 20 February 2018. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- "Free Fire is the best popular vote game of 2018? Only in some countries!". Mobile Gamer. 3 December 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2019.[permanent dead link]
- "Google's Best Apps of 2018". 3 September 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2018.[permanent dead link]
- "The Top Mobile Apps, Games, and Publishers of 2018: Sensor Tower's Data Digest". Sensor Tower. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "The State of Mobile 2019". App Annie. December 2018.
- "Q4 and Full Year 2018: Store Intelligence Dat Digest" (PDF). Sensor Tower. 16 January 2019. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Battle Royale Title 'Free Fire' from Garena Nets Its First $10 Million on iOS". Sensor Tower. 3 December 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Garena Free Fire – Winterlands – Revenue & Download estimates – Google Play Store – US". Sensor Tower. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Garena Free Fire: Winterlands – Apps on Google Play". play.google.com. Retrieved 9 February 2020.