Garena Free Fire
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Garena Free Fire|
|Release||4 December 2017|
Garena Free Fire (also known as Free Fire Battlegrounds or just Free Fire) is a mobile battle royale game, developed by Vietnamese 111dots Studio and published by Garena. The game was released in beta in 20 November 2017 and was fully released for Android and iOS on 4 December 2017.
The game consists of up to fifty players falling from a parachute on an island in search of weapons and equipment to kill the other players. Players are free to choose their starting position, take weapons and supplies to extend battle life.
Garena Free Fire reached 7.5 million downloads on Android devices in October 2018, becoming one of the most downloaded Android games of 2018. Due to its popularity, the game received the award for "Best Popular Vote Game" by the Google Play Store in 2018, in addition to the creation of professional competitions.
When the player joins a game, they will enter a plane, with will fly over the play island. While the plane is flying over the island the player can jump where they want, thus allowing them to choose a strategic place to land away from enemies. After landing, the player must then go looking for weapons and utility items. Medical equipment, medium and large weapons, grenades, and other items featured can be found throughout the island. The ultimate goal of the player is to survive on an island with a maximum of 50 players online; this requires eliminating all opponents the player encounters along the way and ensuring that they are the only survivor remaining.
The graphics were described as having "a benefit for mid and low specification phones", but a reviewer stated that "if games with good graphics are your thing then we don't recommend that you play Free Fire Battlegrounds. But if you like battle royale games and want to have fun with your friends, you should definitely play."
Comparing to Rules of Survival (another mobile game of the same genre), Tais Carvalho of TechTudo commented that Free Fire "prioritizes performance, making it a great choice for any type of device. The gameplay stands out and has enough content to entertain and offer rewarding combat." Regarding the progression of characters and skills, she said it is "a flashy add-on."
Garena Free Fire is one of the most popular battle royale mobile games, behind PUBG Mobile, Fortnite, and Call of Duty: Mobile. Free Fire was the fourth most downloaded game on the Google Play Store in the fourth quarter of 2018, was the fourth most downloaded game worldwide in 2018 on iOS and the Google Play Store together. The title earned approximately 182 million downloads in 2018, making it the second battle royale mobile game most downloaded (above Fortnite and behind only PUBG Mobile), and grossed approximately $19.3 million in monthly revenues through December 2018, becoming a significant financial success for Garena.
- "Free Fire – Official Launch". ff.garena.com. 4 December 2017. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Garena Announces Free Fire Battlegrounds; PUBG-like Battle Royale for Mobile". pokde.net. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Which game is launched first, PUBG or Free Fire?".
- "Popular battle royale game Free Fire now delivers premium experience to Indian gamers". India Today. 26 August 2019.
- Jordan, Jon (19 November 2019). "Garena's battle royale game Free Fire surpasses $1 billion of lifetime revenue". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved 24 November 2019.
- "Free Fire – Battlegrounds". seagm.com. Retrieved 26 September 2018.[permanent dead link]
- "Free Fire Battlegrounds: 5 facts about Garena's game". 25 September 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2019.[permanent dead link]
- "The best games and apps of 2018 according to Google". 3 December 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2019.[dead link]
- "Free Fire Battlegrounds Review: Garena's Fun and Engaging Battle Royale Mobil and Game". 20 February 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Free Fire or Rules of Survival: see which is the best Battle Royale". 25 September 2019. Retrieved 26 September 2019.[permanent dead link]
- "Free Fire is the best popular vote game of 2018? Only in some countries!". Mobile Gamer. 3 December 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2019.[permanent dead link]
- "Google's Best Apps of 2018". 3 September 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2018.[permanent dead link]
- "The Top Mobile Apps, Games, and Publishers of 2018: Sensor Tower's Data Digest". Sensor Tower. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "The State of Mobile 2019". App Annie. December 2018.
- "Q4 and Full Year 2018: Store Intelligence Dat Digest" (PDF). Sensor Tower. 16 January 2019. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Battle Royale Title 'Free Fire' from Garena Nets Its First $10 Million on iOS". Sensor Tower. 3 December 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Garena Free Fire – Winterlands – Revenue & Download estimates – Google Play Store – US". Sensor Tower. Retrieved 26 September 2019.