|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Howard Stoate|
12 October 1969 |
Bromley, London, England
|Alma mater||The College of Law|
Gareth Alan Johnson (born 12 October 1969; Bromley, London) is a British Conservative Party politician. He was elected at the 2010 general election as member of parliament (MP) for Dartford, winning the seat from Labour.
A former Dartford Grammar School pupil and a Dartford local himself, Johnson has represented Dartford (a constituency that Margaret Thatcher failed twice to win in 1950 and 1951) since the 2010 general election, winning the seat with a 10,628 majority. Before this election victory, Johnson had stood previously in Dartford at the 2005 general election, reducing the Labour majority to just 706 votes.
His Dartford constituency comprises Dartford and the surrounding villages of Joydens Wood, Wilmington, Stone, Greenhithe, Swanscombe, Bean, Darenth, Sutton-at-Hone, Hawley, Longfield, Southfleet, New Barn, Hartley, Betsham and Hodsoll Street. Johnson stated during an interview at a local school that he believes firmly that students should have to pay £9,000 a year and is quoted as saying "why should a plumber pay for a doctor to go to university."
In the 2015 general election, Johnson retained his seat and increased his majority to 12,345. Following the election, Johnson was made PPS to Matthew Hancock, Paymaster General of the Cabinet Office.
Johnson is the current chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on the Dominican Republic. Johnson has previously served as the vice-chairman of both the Retail APPG and the British Sikhs APPG. Johnson has also previously been a member of both the Child and Youth Crime APPG and the BBC APPG.
Gareth Johnson is the son of a milkman and a Dartford local. He attended Dartford Grammar School.
Before entering politics, Johnson worked in the Magistrates Court Service and as a local solicitor. From 1998 to 2002, Johnson served as a Councillor for Christchurch Ward in the London Borough of Bexley. He also served as Constituency chairman. He is on the Board of Governors for Dartford Grammar School for Girls. One of his key interests outside politics is playing cricket in the Kent Village League.
- "Johnson, Gareth Alan". Who's Who. Retrieved 12 May 2016.
- "No. 59418". The London Gazette. 13 May 2010. p. 8736.
- "Gareth Johnson MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Who's Who". Ukwhoswho.com. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "Reshuffle (continued): The full list of every PPS". Conservativehome.com. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "Dartford parliamentary constituency – Election 2015 – BBC News". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "Complete Government PPS List". Guido Fawkes. 23 June 2015. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "About Gareth - Gareth Johnson - Member of Parliament". www.garethjohnsondartford.co.uk. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmallparty/151223/register-151223.pdf p.41
- Commons, The Committee Office, House of. "House of Commons - Register Of All-Party Groups as at 30 July 2015 : Dominican Republic". www.publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- http://www.parliament.uk/documents/pcfs/all-party-groups/app-register-30-march-2015.pdf p.509
- http://www.parliament.uk/documents/pcfs/all-party-groups/app-register-30-march-2015.pdf p.535
- http://www.parliament.uk/documents/pcfs/all-party-groups/app-register-30-march-2015.pdf p.215
- https://meagenda.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/appg-register-at-july-2010.pdf p.120
- "Gareth Johnson MP appointed to Science and Technology Select Committee - Gareth Johnson - Member of Parliament". www.garethjohnsondartford.co.uk. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- Westminster, Department of the Official Report (Hansard), House of Commons,. "House of Commons Hansard Debates for 13 Jan 2016 (pt 0002)". www.publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "Parliamentlive.tv". parliamentlive.tv. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "ConservativeHome's Seats & Candidates blog: Diary of a PPC: Gareth Johnson (Dartford)". conservativehome.blogs.com. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "House of Commons – The Register of Members' Financial Interests – Part 2: Part 2". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- Gareth Johnson MP Official constituency website
- Gareth Johnson MP Conservative Party profile
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Gareth Johnson on Facebook Facebook page
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Dartford