Garrett Bradley (filmmaker)
New York City
|Education||Smith College, UCLA|
|Awards||Sundance Film Festival Short Film Jury Award (2017)|
Garrett Bradley is an American filmmaker and director of short films, feature films, documentaries, and television. Bradley is known for blending cinematic genres to investigate the larger sociopolitical significance embedded within the everyday moments of her subjects’ lived experience.
Biography and works
She studied religion at Smith College, and then got her MFA in Directing at UCLA. In 2012, she moved to New Orleans, where she made her first feature film with assistance from IFP Narrative Labs, Below Dreams. Bradley based the film, which premiered at the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival, on interviews she had with fellow riders on the Greyhound bus. The film won a special jury award at the New Orleans Film Festival.
Her short documentary Alone focuses on her friend Aloné Watts, whose fiance was incarcerated in a private prison. This short showed at Sundance in 2017 and won the Short Form Jury Award in nonfiction. Also in 2017, she traveled to Japan and got the idea for her documentary short The Earth is Humming, which is about Japan's earthquake preparedness.
Awards and Honors
- 2019 Rome Prize Fellow
- 2019 Creative Capital Grantee
- 2018 Field of Vision Fellowship
- 2018 Sundance Art of Nonfiction Fellowship
- 2018 Warhol Foundation Grantee
- 2017 Oscar Contender (Shortlist), ALONE
- 2017 Sundance Short Film Jury Award: Non-Fiction
- 2016 Ford Foundation Grantee
- 2014 Art Matters Foundation Grantee
- 2014 Artadia New Orleans Prospect 3 Artist Award
- 2001 Jury Award: Brooklyn International Bridge Film Festival (Juried by Stanley Crouch)
2019 WHEN THEY SEE US
2019 QUEEN SUGAR
2019 POWER (Working Title)
2017 ALONE TRT 13:00
2016 LIKE TRT: 09:00
2015 COVER ME TRT: 60:00
- Sundance Film Festival: 2019, 2017
- New Directors/ New Films: 2019
- Hot Docs: 2019, 2018
- Sheffield Film Festival: 2019
- SXSW: 2018
- LA Film Festival: 2018
- Natural History Museum: 2018
- Aspen Shortsfest: 2018
- AFI Docs: 2018
- Denver Film Festival: 2018
- Imagine Science Film Festival: 2018
- New Orleans Film Festival: 2018, 2015, 2014
- DokuFest: 2018
- Festival du Nouveau Cinema: 2015, 2014
- Hammer Museum: 2015
- International Film Festival Rotterdam: 2015
- US Embassy, Tel Aviv: 2015
- Prospect 3, New Orleans: 2015
- CPH:DOX I CPH:MARKET Copenhagen: 2014
- Tribeca Film Festival: 2014
- Macaulay, Scott. "5 Questions for Below Dreams Director Garrett Bradley". Filmmaker Magazine. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- Scott, Mike (2017-01-31). "New Orleans filmmaker Garrett Bradley takes home Sundance honors for short film 'Alone'". nola.com. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- Picurro, Allison; Picurro, Allison (2017-02-15). "'Alone': Sundance Shorts Award Winner Tackles Effects of Mass Incarceration in Intimate Style — Watch". IndieWire. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- Wheeling, Kate. "How to Prepare a Society for Natural Disaster". Pacific Standard. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- Hans, Simran (2019-02-03). "Souvenirs, secrets and Springsteen: the best of Sundance 2019". The Observer. ISSN 0029-7712. Retrieved 2019-02-28.