|Born||23 May 1956|
|Fields||Fluid Mechanics, Convective Heat Transfer, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Drops and Bubbles, Microfluidics.|
|Institutions||Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, CSIR-CMERI Durgapur and Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati.|
Gautam Biswas (Bengali: গৌতম বিশ্বাস; born 23 May 1956) is presently a professor of mechanical engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur. Earlier, he has been the director of Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, and director of the CSIR - Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute at Durgapur. As a faculty member of IIT Kanpur, he has served the Institute in various capacities including the Dean of Academic Affairs. Prof Gautam Biswas is a Fellow of the three science academies, such as, the Indian National Science Academy (INSA, New Delhi), the Indian Academy of Sciences (IAS, Bangalore) and the National Academy of Sciences India (NASI, Allahabad). He is a Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) and Institution of Engineers (IEI). He was the occupant of the position of GD and VM Mehta Endowed Chair Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur. A Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Prof Biswas is the author of more than 150 scientific publications and guided 22 PhD theses. In the year 2011, he was awarded the esteemed J C Bose National Fellowship by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India. Biswas completed his B.E. from IIEST(Erstwhile B.E. College under Calcutta University) in 1979. He completed his PhD from the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in 1985. He was an Alexander von Humboldt Fellow at the Ruhr University Bochum in Germany and JSPS Invitation Fellow at the Yokohama National University, Japan. He has been a Guest Professor at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany. Prof. Biswas was awarded Honorary Doctorate by the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece in the year 2018.
Gautam Biswas has made original contributions of long lasting value in the areas of heat transfer and fluid mechanics. His work on enhancement of heat transfer using delta-winglet type vortex generators is a major contribution which is included in the advanced international text books. The innovative concept has been used by the Industry for various HAVC systems. Furthermore, he has contributed significantly in understanding the bluff body flows. His work on large-eddy simulation of flow past bluff bodies and heat transfer in impinging jets have been deeply admired by the scientific community. Contributions of Prof. Biswas pertaining to handling free surface flows and some of his investigations related to prediction of bubble growth in film boiling are considered to be path-breaking. Prof. Biswas and co-researchers analyzed impact of falling drops on a liquid surface and made fundamental contributions to the body of knowledge related to partial coalescence and the transition between coalescence and splashing. Experimental evidence of large bubble entrapment occurring outside the traditional small region on the V-D map, made the boundary of large bubble entrapment a topic of greater importance. A seminal contribution of his group probes the zone of large bubble entrapment and underlying physics. He has made significant impact through his publications on formation of air bubbles from a submerged orifice. His group analyzed the impact of a train of high-speed microdrops on a deep liquid pool. The work explained mechanistic route leading to creation of a deep cavity inside the liquid pool. Prof. Biswas and the co-researchers contributed in understanding flow dynamics, viability and metastatic potency of cervical cancer (HeLa) cells through pulmonary capillaries.
- "Gautam Biswas takes over as IIT-Guwahati director". The Times of India.
- India, Press Trust of (6 September 2013). "Prof Gautam Biswas takes charge as Director of IIT-Guwahati". Business Standard India. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Indian Fellow". Insaindia.org.in. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "J C Bose National Fellowship". serb.gov.in. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Αναγόρευση του G. Biswas σε επίτιμο διδάκτορα του Τμήματος Πολιτικών Μηχανικών". Cite journal requires
- Biswas, G.; Mitra, N. K.; Fiebig, M. (1 January 1994). "Heat transfer enhancement in fin-tube heat exchangers by winglet type vortex generators". International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 37 (2): 283–291. doi:10.1016/0017-9310(94)90099-X.
- Biswas, G.; Torii, K.; Fujii, D.; Nishino, K. (1 November 1996). "Numerical and experimental determination of flow structure and heat transfer effects of longitudinal vortices in a channel flow". International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 39 (16): 3441–3451. doi:10.1016/0017-9310(95)00398-3.
- Principles of Convective Heat Transfer. Mechanical Engineering Series. Springer. 2001. ISBN 9780387951621.
- Saha, A. K; Biswas, G; Muralidhar, K (1 February 2003). "Three-dimensional study of flow past a square cylinder at low Reynolds numbers". International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow. 24: 54–66. doi:10.1016/S0142-727X(02)00208-4.
- Srinivas, Y.; Biswas, G.; Parihar, A. S.; Ranjan, R. (1 January 2006). "Large-Eddy Simulation of High Reynolds Number Turbulent Flow Past a Square Cylinder". Journal of Engineering Mechanics. 132 (3): 327–335. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2006)132:3(327).
- Cziesla, T.; Biswas, G.; Chattopadhyay, H.; Mitra, N. K. (1 October 2001). "Large-eddy simulation of flow and heat transfer in an impinging slot jet". International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow. 22 (5): 500–508. doi:10.1016/S0142-727X(01)00105-9.
- Gerlach, D.; Tomar, G.; Biswas, G.; Durst, F. (1 February 2006). "Comparison of volume-of-fluid methods for surface tension-dominant two-phase flows". International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 49 (3–4): 740–754. doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2005.07.045.
- Tomar, G.; Biswas, G.; Sharma, A.; Welch, S. W. J. (1 September 2008). "Multimode analysis of bubble growth in saturated film boiling". Physics of Fluids. 20 (9): 092101. doi:10.1063/1.2976764.
- Hens, Abhiram; Biswas, Gautam; De, Sudipta (1 January 2014). "Analysis of interfacial instability and multimode bubble formation in saturated boiling using coupled level set and volume-of-fluid approach". Physics of Fluids. 26: 012105. doi:10.1063/1.4861760.
- Journal: Physics of Fluids, Volume: 28, Pages: 052102-1- 052102-18, Year: 2016 Pandey, Vinod; Biswas, Gautam; Dalal, Amaresh (2016). "Effect of superheat and electric field on saturated film boiling". Physics of Fluids. 28 (5): 052102. doi:10.1063/1.4948545.
- Journal: Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Volume: 655, Pages: 72-104, Year: 2010 Ray, B.; Biswas, G.; Sharma, A. (2010). "Generation of secondary droplets in coalescence of a drop at a liquid–liquid interface". Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 655: 72–104. doi:10.1017/S0022112010000662.
- Journal: Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Volume: 768, Pages: 492-523, Year: 2015 Ray, Bahni; Biswas, Gautam; Sharma, Ashutosh (2015). "Regimes during liquid drop impact on a liquid pool". Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 768: 492–523. doi:10.1017/jfm.2015.108.
- Journal - Physics of Fluids, Volume - 29, Pages 092101-1- 092101-13, Year - 2017 Deka, Hiranya; Ray, Bahni; Biswas, Gautam; Dalal, Amaresh; Tsai, Pei-Hsun; Wang, An-Bang (2017). "The regime of large bubble entrapment during a single drop impact on a liquid pool". Physics of Fluids. 29 (9): 092101. doi:10.1063/1.4992124.
- Journal: Physics of Fluids, Volume: 21, Pages: 062103-1 – 062103-17, Year: 2009 Chakraborty, I.; Ray, B.; Biswas, G.; Durst, F.; Sharma, A.; Ghoshdastidar, P. S. (2009). "Computational investigation on bubble detachment from submerged orifice in quiescent liquid under normal and reduced gravity". Physics of Fluids. 21 (6): 062103. doi:10.1063/1.3152437.
- Chakraborty, Indrajit; Biswas, Gautam; Polepalle, Satyamurthy; Ghoshdastidar, Partha S. (2015). "Bubble formation and dynamics in a quiescent high-density liquid". AIChE Journal. 61 (11): 3996–4012. doi:10.1002/aic.14896.
- Journal - Physics of Fluids, Volume - 30, Pages 042103-1 – 042103-14, Year - 2018 Deka, Hiranya; Ray, Bahni; Biswas, Gautam; Dalal, Amaresh (2018). "Dynamics of tongue shaped cavity generated during the impact of high-speed microdrops". Physics of Fluids. 30 (4): 042103. doi:10.1063/1.5022374.
- Nath, Binita; Raza, Asif; Sethi, Vishal; Dalal, Amaresh; Ghosh, Siddhartha Sankar; Biswas, Gautam (2018). "Understanding flow dynamics, viability and metastatic potency of cervical cancer (HeLa) cells through constricted microchannel". Scientific Reports. 8 (1): 17357. doi:10.1038/s41598-018-35646-3. PMC 6255798. PMID 30478455.