Gay pride flag of South Africa
|Adopted||2010 (public launch)
2012 (heraldic registration)
|Design||Rectangular flag proportion 2:3 the field divided horizontally into six equal bands of red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple, surmounted horizontally from the hoist of a white pall in umbra the edge to the hoist in black|
|Designed by||Eugene Brockman|
The gay pride flag of South Africa is a gay pride symbol that aims to reflect the freedom and diversity of the South African nation and build pride in being an LGBT South African. It was registered as the flag of the GLBTI Association of South Africa in 2012 and is not an official national symbol of South Africa.
Designed by Eugene Brockman, the flag is a hybrid of the LGBT rainbow flag and the South African national flag launched in 1994 after the end of the apartheid era. Brockman said "I truly believe we (the GLBT community) put the dazzle into our rainbow nation and this flag is a symbol of just that". The stated purposes of the flag include celebrating legal same-sex marriage in South Africa and addressing issues such as discrimination, homophobia and the corrective rape hate crime.
On 20 July 2012, the flag was registered at South Africa's Bureau of Heraldry as a heraldic flag representing the GLBTI Association of South Africa. It is not an official national symbol per se, and not necessarily the only South African version of the LGBT rainbow flag.
- "Government Notice 377". Government Gazette (35313). 11 May 2012. Archived from the original on 25 July 2014.
- "South African Flag Revealed at MCQP". Cape Town Pride. 22 December 2010. Archived from the original on 9 August 2011. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- "South Africa Gets Own Gay Flag". Queerlife South Africa. January 2011. Archived from the original on 16 March 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- "Gay Flag of South Africa". Archived from the original on 27 July 2011.
- "SA to recognise gay flag". IOL. SAPA. 6 October 2012. Archived from the original on 20 July 2014. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- "Who are we?". Gay Flag of South Africa. Archived from the original on 19 March 2012.
- Nathan, Melanie (6 October 2012). "South Africa first to recognize gay flag as an official national symbol". LGBTQ Nation. Archived from the original on 8 April 2014. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- Williams, Denise (8 October 2012). "Gay flag for a 'queer' South Africa". Times LIVE. Archived from the original on 19 June 2013. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- Berry, Bruce (25 January 2011). "Gay flag in South Africa". FOTW. Archived from the original on 6 March 2013. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Government Notice 541". Government Gazette (35517). 20 July 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Name of the Game". OUT Africa Magazine. Patterson Publications (14): 22.
- Media related to LGBT pride flags in South Africa at Wikimedia Commons