||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Bishop of Rottenburg-Stuttgart|
Bishop Fürst in 2008
|Diocese||Diocese of Rottenburg-Stuttgart|
|Appointed||7 July 2000|
|Installed||17 September 2000|
|Ordination||27 March 1977
by Georg Moser
|Consecration||17 September 2000
by Oskar Saier
2 December 1948 |
|Motto||Propter Nostram Salutem|
|Coat of arms|
Fürst began his career attending the Collegium Ambrosianum in Stuttgart, where he studied Greek and Hebrew, in 1969. He then studied theology at the Faculty of Catholic Theology at the University of Tübingen (1970) and at the University of Vienna (1971 to 1973). In 1975, he passed the necessary theological exams. He then entered the Seminary of Rottenburg-Stuttgart in Rottenburg am Neckar. He was ordained as a deacon in Nürtingen in 1976 and, a year later, he was ordained as a priest by Bishop Georg Moser in the Basilica of St. Vitus in Ellwangen an der Jagst. That same year, he became the vicar at St. Joseph's Church in Stuttgart.
In 1986, Fürst became the Director of the Academy of the Diocese of Rottenburg-Stuttgart and a member of the Caucus of Bishop Ordinaries. The next year, he received his doctorate in fundamental theology for his work Sprache als metaphorischer Prozess. Johann Gottfried Herders hermeneutische Theorie der Sprache (Speech as a metaphorical process. Johann Gottfried Herder's Hermeneutic Theory of Language). In 1993, he was Chairman of the leadership circle of the Catholic Academy of Germany. Fürst was made an honorary chaplain to the Pope (Monsignor) in 1999 and, a year later, the eleventh Bishop of Rottenburg-Stuttgart.
Today, Fürst is the Chairman of the Prize Committee of the "Aleksandr Men Prize for Cultural Ecumenism". He is also a member of the Culture Board of the State Capital of Stuttgart, a leading member in the Board of Trustees of the Academy of the Diocese of Rottenburg-Stuttgart, and a member of the Board of Directors of the Society of Friends and Patrons of the Academy. Fürst has further memberships in the History Club of the Diocese of Rottenburg-Stuttgart, in the Diocesan Institute, in the Theological Commission of the Consortium of the Christian Church in Baden-Württemberg (ACK), and in the Women's Commission of the Diocese of Rottenburg-Stuttgart (since 1999). Bishop Fürst belonged to the national Ethics Council as the representative of the Catholic Church from 2001 to May 2004. The council was established by a 2001 decision of the German Cabinet.
Fürst is a member of A.V. Alania Stuttgart chapter of the Cartellverband der katholischen deutschen Studentenverbindungen.
In 2009, Fürst criticized the lifting of the excommunication of Bishop Richard Williamson and said that it had led to "external and internal alienation from the church on the part of many believers, to a betrayal of trust especially among Jewish sisters and brothers in their relationship to the Church, and to a considerable disturbance in the Christian-Jewish dialogue."
- Sprache als metaphorischer Prozess: Johann Gottfried Herders hermeneutische Theorie der Sprache, Mainz: Matthias-Grünewald-Verl, 1988.
- "Kirche braucht Kulturstationen". Ein Gespräch mit Akademiedirektor Gebhard Fürst, in: Herder Korrespondenz 53 (1999)182-187.
- Zäsur: Generationswechsel in der katholischen Theologie/Akademie der Diözese Rottenburg-Stuttgart. Hrsg. von Gebhard Fürst. - Stuttgart: Akad. der Diözese Rottenburg-Stuttgart, 1997.
- Höllenerfahrungen in Literatur und Kunst (1998)
- Dialog als Selbstvollzug der Kirche?, Ed. Gebhard Fürst. - Freiburg im Breisgau: Herder, 1997.
- Dialog als Selbstvollzug der Kirche? (Quaestiones disputatae 166) Hrsg.: Gebhard Fürst. Verlag Herder Freiburg i. Br./Basel/Wien 1997
- Das heilige Buch der Menschen. Johann Gottfried Herders hermeneutische Sprachtheorie der Bibel. Ein Beitrag zur Herder-Forschung, in: Fides quaerens intellectum: Beiträge zur Fundamentaltheologie. [Max Seckler zum 65. Geburtstag]/Ed. Michael Kessler. Tübingen 1992
- Wechselbekenntnisse: auf dem Weg zur Normalität; aus einer Ost-West-Begegnung in turbulenter Zeit, Ed. Gebhard Fürst, Stuttgart: Akad. der Diözese Rottenburg-Stuttgart, 1992.
- Dialog und Gastfreundschaft: 40 Jahre Akademie der Diözese Rottenburg-Stuttgart 1951 - 1991, [Ed. der Akademie der Diözese Rottenburg-Stuttgart. Verantw. für den Inhalt: Gebhard Fürst]. - Stuttgart: Akad. der Diözese Rottenburg-Stuttgart
- This article is based on the German Wikipedia entry.
- http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/253634,another-german-bishop-defies-pope-over-holocaust-denier.html Another German bishop defies pope over Holocaust denier
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gebhard Fürst.|
- (German) Diocese of Rottenburg-Stuttgart
- (German) Biography
- (German) Bischof Fürst zum Dialog Naturwissenschaft - Glaube
- (German) Academy of the Diocese of Rottenburg-Stuttgart
|Bishop of Rottenburg-Stuttgart