|Born||1983/1984 (age 31–32)
|Occupation||Founder, Model, Advocate|
|Years active||2002 to present|
Geena Rocero (born 1983 or 1984) is a transgender model and advocate. Rocero is the founder of Gender Proud, an advocacy and aid organization that stands up for the right of transgender people all over the world to "self-identify with the fewest possible barriers".
Rocero was discovered by a fashion photographer in a restaurant on the Lower East Side of Manhattan when she was 21 years old. She was then signed to top agency NEXT Model Management and spent 12 years modeling for international swimsuit and beauty editorials, earning herself a large fan base.
In 2014, Rocero was featured on the fifth anniversary cover of C☆NDY magazine along with 13 other transgender women: Janet Mock, Carmen Carrera, Laverne Cox, Isis King, Gisele Alicea, Leyna Ramous, Dina Marie, Nina Poon, Juliana Huxtable, Niki M’nray, Pêche Di, Carmen Xtravaganza and Yasmine Petty.
On March 31, 2014, in honor of International Transgender Day of Visibility, Rocero came out as transgender while giving a TED talk in New York City. On September 19, 2014, excerpts of Rocero's TED talk were featured on NPR's TED Radio Hour podcast.
In 2014, Rocero launched Gender Proud, "an advocacy & awareness campaign that aims to advance the rights of all transgender individuals."
- Davis, Allison P. (April 3, 2014). "Transgender Model Geena Rocero on Her TED Talk". New York. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- Rocero, Geena (March 31, 2014). "Model: Why I came out as transgender". CNN. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- "Gender Proud envisions a world"
- "TED Speaker Geena Rocero Model and activist". TED. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- "Geena Rocero, Transgender Model And Advocate, Recalls Being Detained Because Of Conflicting ID". The Huffington Post. April 1, 2014. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- "Transgender Model Geena Rocero Gives Inspiring TED Talk About Coming Out"
- "Laverne Cox, Carmen Carrera, Among 14 Trans Stars On "Candy" Magazine Cover". NewNowNext.
- "Geena Rocero’s TED talks"
- "How Do You Reveal A Life-Changing Transformation?"