General George Patton Museum of Leadership
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The General George Patton Museum of Leadership is a museum in Fort Knox, Kentucky, dedicated to the memory of General George S. Patton, Jr., and his role as a leader from World War I to the present day. The museum is administered by the U.S. Army Cadet Command, Fort Knox and the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command.
The museum was originally founded as the Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armour in 1948. The present building, located in Fort Knox, Kentucky, was originally constructed between 1972 and 1992 without cost to the U.S. Government by the Cavalry-Armor Foundation, now called the Patton Museum Foundation. The museum was later renamed the General George Patton Museum of Leadership. As of 2013, the museum was managed as part of the U.S. Army Accessions Command and welcomed 358,000 visitors a year.
The gift store sells two sizes of miniature replicas of gold bars from the nearby gold depository.
The museum, as the Patton Museum, had many tank exhibits, but these accompanied the move of the Armor school to Fort Benning and are now located at the National Armor and Cavalry Museum, Georgia.
- Patton Monument (West Point)
- General George S. Patton Memorial Museum, Chiriaco Summit, California
- United States Army Ordnance Museum
- List of attractions and events in the Louisville metropolitan area
- Danilov, Victor J. (September 26, 2013). Famous Americans: A Directory of Museums, Historic Sites, and Memorials. Scarecrow Press. p. 150. ISBN 9780810891869.
- Associated Press (September 28, 2012). "Museum at Fort Knox getting updated". Lexington Herald Leader. Retrieved July 11, 2016.
- "Patton Museum in the midst of change". WDRB. October 12, 2011. Retrieved July 11, 2016.
- "Fort Knox reduces hours, closes main exhibit at Patton Museum for renovations". Fox News. November 2, 2012. Retrieved July 11, 2016.
- Dube, Ron (June 23, 1991). "Museum shows there's more than gold at Fort Knox". The Telegraph. Retrieved July 11, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Patton Museum.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: George S. Patton|