Geoffrey JW Kent (Born July 14, 1942) is the founder, chairman, and CEO of Abercrombie & Kent, an international luxury travel company.
Kent is credited with introducing the first luxury photographic African Safari  in 1962. Geoffrey Kent has been appointed the Honorary Consul of the Republic of Kenya to Monaco.
Geoffrey Kent was born while his parents, Colonel John and Valerie Kent, were on safari in Zambia.
After attending the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst, Kent saw service in countries such as Bahrain, Kuwait, and Malta. Kent's distinguished armed forces career was cut relatively short as a result of hearing damage from years spent in heavy tanks.
Abercrombie & Kent
While serving in the British Army, he joined his parents in founding Abercrombie & Kent. Being influenced by his time in the British Military, Kent repositioned the safari experience as a "hunt with a camera, not with a gun" and introduced the first mobile tented safari's with refrigeration that made it possible to have fresh meat, fruit, vegetables and ice in the bush.
Kent's Luxury Cocoon style safari attracted numerous celebrities such as James Brolin, Kristin Davis, Bill Gates, John Grisham, Tom Hanks, Dr.Henry Kissinger, Goldie Hawn, Lauren Hutton, Sharon Lawrence, Liam Neeson, Rachael Ray, Diane Sawyer, Jane Seymour, Barbara Walters, Denzel Washington and Oprah Winfrey's Book Club.
Awards and Council
Geoffrey Kent was inducted to the British Travel and Hospitality Industry Hall of Fame on April 17, 2012.
He received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Travel Weekly Readers Choice Awards in 2014.
To the Ends of the Earth with Geoffrey Kent aired on the USA Network in 1994 with Lauren Hutton in Papua New Guinea and James Brolin in Kenya. The series received two nominations for the Award for Cable Excellence Cable ACE Award, considered to be the cable counterpart to the Primetime Emmy Awards.
In 1982 Kent and then wife Jorie Butler Kent founded Abercrombie & Kent Philanthropy, a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting ecosystems and wildlife that also supports local communities. These efforts were recognized by the World Travel and Tourism Council's Tourism for Tomorrow Awards, Condė Nast Traveler with their World Savers Award for leadership in social responsibility, and by Travel + Leisure with their Global Vision Award for Leadership in Philanthropic Travel.
Geoffrey Kent married Otavia Jardim, a Brazilian model, in 2010. His second wife, Jorie Butler Kent, with whom he continued to develop Abercrombie & Kent in the U.S after leaving his first wife Andrea Joss remains Vice Chairman of the company.
Kent was a world-renowned polo player as Captain of the Rolex/Abercrombie & Kent team, winning the U.S. Open twice, the U.S. Gold Cup, the Cartier International and the most esteemed cup in polo, and the World Open Championship. He served as captain and patron of the Windsor Park polo team, on which he played alongside the Prince of Wales.
He has one son, Joss, from a previous marriage.
- Wiese, Icons and Innovations "Robb Report" January 1st, 2006
- Geoffrey J.W. Kent Profile "Bloomberg website", updated April 15th, 2014
- Abercrombie and Kent: The Last Hunt, "departures.com", 2013
- Dragun, N. Safari pioneer Geoffrey Kent's incredible African odessey, "CNN", February 4th, 2013
- Olmstead, L.Forbes 6 Best Tour Operators, "Forbes.com", 2013
- Clash, M. Go Wild, "Forbes", October 9th, 2000
- Gates, B. Here's My Plan to Improve the World, "Wired", November 12th, 2013
- Cry the Beloved Country Tour of South Africa"Oprah Winfrey's Book Club", January 1st, 2006
- Frank, R. Inside the $80,000 private jet safari "CNBC", June 20th, 2014
- World Travel and Tourism Council - Official "Geoffrey Kent Member Profile"
- Geoffrey Kent Inducted into British Hospitality Hall of Fame, 50th Anniversary of Abercrombie & Kent,"British Travel and Hospitality" April, 2002
- Lifetime Achievement Award Winner "Travel Weekly", 2014
- To the Ends of the Earth - Travel Show imdb.com
- Buchmeyer, J.P. "Abercrombie & Kent: Funding Healthcare and Education from Ecuador to India" , "Condé Nast", August 12th, 2013
- Global Vision Award, Travel + Leisure, "Travel + Leisure", October 2010
- Eskenazi, G. "A Prince's Game Hopes to Gather a Common Audience", "The New York Times', November 11th, 1985