George Carlyle Marler
|George Carlyle Marler|
|Member of the Legislative Assembly of Quebec|
March 23, 1942 – June 30, 1954
|Preceded by||George Gordon Hyde|
|Succeeded by||John Richard Hyde|
|Member of the Canadian House of Commons|
November 8, 1954 – February 1, 1958
|Preceded by||Douglas Charles Abbott|
|Succeeded by||Ross Webster|
|Member of the Legislative Council of Quebec for Inkerman|
|Preceded by||Robert R. Ness|
|Succeeded by||Institution abolished|
September 14, 1901|
|Died||April 10, 1981
|Political party||Liberal Party of Quebec
Liberal Party of Canada
|Spouse(s)||Phyllis Constance Walker, daughter of Herbert Barber Walker, banker, and Annabella Fraser.|
He was born on September 14, 1901 in Montreal.
Marler served as city councillor from 1940 to 1947 and as Deputy Chairman of Montreal Executive Committee in Montreal.
Member of the legislature
Leader of the Opposition
In the 1948 election, Liberal Leader Adélard Godbout lost re-election in the district of L'Islet. Marler took over as Leader of the Official Opposition. Godbout resigned as Liberal Leader on July 22, 1949. At the 1950 Quebec Liberal Party leadership convention, Marler declined nomination, and Georges-Émile Lapalme became the new party leader on May 20, 1950. However, Lapalme failed to win a seat in the legislature in the 1952 election, so Marler continued as Leader of the Opposition until Lapalme won a by-election in 1953.
Member of the Federal Cabinet
Marler resigned from the legislature on June 30, 1954, and was appointed to the federal cabinet of Louis Saint-Laurent as minister of transport. Later that year he won a by-election and became the Member of Pariliament for the federal district of Saint-Antoine—Westmount. He was re-elected in the 1957, but was defeated in 1958.
He died on April 10, 1981 in Montreal.
- The Edward VII issue of Canada : a detailed study / by George C. Marler. -- [Ottawa] : National Postal Museum, c1975.
- The law of real property : Quebec / by William de Montmollin Marler ; completed and arranged by George C. Marler ; with a foreword by P.B. Mignault. -- Toronto : Burroughs, 1932.
- Canada, the admiral issue, 1911-1925 / by George C. Marler. -- Toronto : Unitrade Press, 1980.
- Canada : notes on the 1911-1925 issue. -- State College, Pa : American Philatelic Society, 1949.
- Booklets of the admiral stamps of 1911 to 1925 / by George C. Marler ; editor R.J. Woolley. -- [Canada? : s.n., 1970?] ([Thornhill [Ont.] : J.F. Webb]).
- Politics of Quebec
- Quebec general elections
- List of Quebec leaders of the Opposition
- Timeline of Quebec history
- "Biography". Dictionnaire des parlementaires du Québec de 1792 à nos jours (in French). National Assembly of Quebec.
- George Carlyle Marler – Parliament of Canada biography
- Royal Philatelic Society of Canada