George M. Bryan Airport
|George M. Bryan Airport|
(former Starkville AF Aux. Field)
|Owner||City of Starkville|
|Elevation AMSL||333 ft / 101 m|
George M. Bryan Airport (ICAO: KSTF, FAA LID: STF) is a public use airport in Oktibbeha County, Mississippi, United States. It is owned by the City of Starkville and located three nautical miles (6 km) southwest of its central business district. This airport is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a general aviation facility.
Although many U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, this airport is assigned STF by the FAA but has no designation from the IATA (which assigned STF to Stephens Island in Queensland, Australia).
Opened in 1934 as Starkville Municipal Airport. During World War II the airport was taken over abruptly by the government to be used as a glider training base (Starkville AF Auxiliary Field). Plans for the AAF Basic Training Detachment were for 150 students using the TG-5 gliders. The gliders were towed by the BT-13 Vultee "Vibrator". Students lived in the dormitories at Mississippi State College, where they also used its classrooms and dining facilities. 
Facilities and aircraft
George M. Bryan Airport covers an area of 635 acres (257 ha) at an elevation of 333 feet (101 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 18/36 with an asphalt and concrete surface measuring 5,550 by 150 feet (1,692 x 46 m).
For the 12-month period ending January 19, 2012, the airport had 22,520 aircraft operations, an average of 61 per day: 98% general aviation and 2% military. At that time there were 40 aircraft based at this airport: 72.5% single-engine, 17.5% glider, 5% jet, 2.5% multi-engine, and 2.5% helicopter.
- FAA Airport Master Record for STF ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
- "George M. Bryan Airport". Oktibbeha County. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
"2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010. Archived from the original (PDF, 2.03 MB) on 2012-09-27. External link in
- "Starkville / Oktibbeha County Airport". City of Starkville. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
- "George M. Bryan Field". Raspet Flight Research Laboratory. Archived from the original on 2008-04-30.
- "George M. Bryan Airport (IATA: none, ICAO: KSTF, FAA: STF)". Great Circle Mapper. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (STF: Stephens Island)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
- This article incorporates public domain material from the Air Force Historical Research Agency website http://www.afhra.af.mil/.
- George M. Bryan Airport at Oktibbeha County website
- Starkville / Oktibbeha County Airport at City of Starkville website
- Aerial image as of March 1996 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for STF, effective October 11, 2018
- Resources for this airport: