George Venables-Vernon, 7th Baron Vernon
The Lord Vernon
Photograph of George Venables-Vernon
|Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms|
25 August 1892 – 13 March 1894
|Prime Minister||William Ewart Gladstone|
|Preceded by||The Earl of Yarborough|
|Succeeded by||The Earl of Chesterfield|
|Born||25 February 1854|
|Died||15 December 1898(aged 44)|
|Spouse(s)||Frances Margaret Lawrance|
George William Henry Venables-Vernon, 7th Baron Vernon PC (25 February 1854 – 15 December 1898), styled The Honourable George Venables-Vernon from 1866 to 1883, was a British Liberal politician. He served as Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms under William Gladstone from 1892 to 1894.
Vernon was the son of Augustus Henry Venables-Vernon, 6th Baron Vernon, and his wife Lady Harriet Frances Maria Anson, daughter of Thomas Anson, 1st Earl of Lichfield, and succeeded his father in the barony in 1883, when he inherited around 10,000 acres (4,000 ha) of land in Cheshire, Derbyshire and Staffordshire.
Vernon sat on the Liberal benches in the House of Lords and served in the last Liberal administration of William Ewart Gladstone as Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms from 1892 to 1894. In 1892 he was sworn of the Privy Council.
Lord Vernon married Frances Margaret Lawrance, daughter of Francis Lawrance, of New York City, in 1885. He died in December 1898, aged 44, and was succeeded in the barony by his eldest son, George.
- "Personal". Illustrated London News. 24 December 1898. p. 945.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- "The Farm And Garden". The Cornishman (252). 10 May 1883. p. 6.
- "No. 26321". The London Gazette. 30 August 1892. p. 4958.
- "No. 26496". The London Gazette. 20 March 1894. p. 1661.
- "No. 26320". The London Gazette. 26 August 1892. p. 4881.
The Earl of Yarborough
| Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms
The Earl of Chesterfield
|Peerage of Great Britain|
| Baron Vernon