Giridhar Udupa in concert
|Birth name||Giridhar Udupa|
|Also known as||Ghatam Udupa, Ghatam Giridhar Udupa|
|Born||17 November 1980|
|Origin||Bengaluru, Karnataka, India|
|Genres||Carnatic classical music, fusion, world music|
Ghatam Giridhar Udupa (born 17 November 1980) (Kannada: ಘಟಮ್ ಗಿರಿಧರ್ ಉಡುಪ) is an Indian percussionist and a leading exponent of the ghatam. He is one of the members of Layatharanga, a team of Indian classical musicians who have embarked on the task of blending different forms of classical, folk and world music. In 2015 he founded and has since served as the director of The Udupa Foundation, a registered charitable trust with the aim of promoting music, performing arts and culture.
Early life and tutelage
Giridhar Udupa was born into a family of artists, and was exposed to music and literature from a very young age. He began his musical training at the age of four, under the guidance of his father and well known Mridangam artist Vidwan Ullur Nagendra Udupa. He ventured into the world of Carnatic music learning all the traditional percussion instruments(Mridangam, Ghatam, Kanjira and Morsing), but it was the Ghatam that struck a chord with his musical personality,. He has since taken advanced lessons from Vidushi Ghatam Sukanya Ramgopal and Vidwan Ghatam V.Suresh mastering the finer aspects of the fingering techniques of the instrument.
For Carnatic music Giridhar Udupa performs primarily on the Ghatam, but for other genres he incorporates varied South Indian percussion instruments into his performance, including Mridangam, Kanjira and Morsing. He is also adept at rendering Konnakol, the vocal rendition of percussion syllables. He has accompanied artists of different syles of music (Carnatic, fusion, jazz, etc.), including Sarvashree Dr. L. Subramaniam, Dr. M.Balamuralikrishna, M. S. Gopalakrishnan, R. K. Srikantan, T. N. Krishnan, T. K. Murthy, Palghat Raghu, Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman, A.K.Palanivel, Ganesh and Kumaresh, Mysore Nagaraj & Mysore Manjunath, Mandolin Srinivas, N.Ramani, K. J. Yesudas, R. K. Padmanabha, T. V. Gopalakrishnan, T.V. Sankaranarayanan, Madhurai T.N. Seshagopalan, Trichur V. Ramachandran, Jayanthi Kumaresh, R.K. Suryanarayana, Sudha Raghunathan and others. He has undertaken several overseas musical tours, since 1998.
Awards and accolades
- Nadajyothi Puruskara from Nadajyothi Sri Thyagaraja Swamy Bhajana Sabha, Bangalore – March 2015
- Best Upa Pakka Vadhyam Award from The Music Academy, Chennai – Jan 2015
- Madhura Murali Puraskar from the Dr. M. Balamuralikrishna at Chennai during his 82nd birthday celebration – July 29, 2012
- Lions International Award – 2011.
- Asthana Vidwan of the Sri Matam of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam – 2010.
- Yuva Laya Prathibhamani title – 2009
- Rotary Youth Award – 2008
- CMANA Award 2007 (Carnatic Music Association Of North America) by Percussive Arts Centre, Bangalore
- Conferred with title ”Yuva Kala Bharathi” by Bharath Kalachar,Chennai – 2004.
- Ananya Yuva Puraskara for the year 2002 as Best Percussionist of the year.
- Recipient of the prestigious Central Government Scholarship for Ghatam – 2002.
- Aryabhata Award – 2000.
- First Prize at the National Level All India Radio Competition – 2000.
- Best Ghatam Artist Award from Gayana Samaja, Ganakala Parishat and Malleshwaram Sangeetha Sabha for the years 1992, 1996 and 1999 respectively.
- Vijaya Kalashree title – 1997
- First Indian percussionist to perform and conduct workshop at the prestigious Krakow International Music festival – 2005.
- United Nations – New York, USA
- Carnegie Hall – New York, USA
- Sydney Opera House – Sydney, Australia
- The Kennedy Centre – Washington D.C, USA
- Wortham Centre – Houston, USA
- Royal Festival Hall – London, UK
- Bangkok Jazz Festival – Bangkok, Thailand
- Java Jazz Festival – Jakarta, Indonesia
- International Percussion Festival – Krakow, Poland
- Miri International Jazz Festival – Malaysia
- Shanghai World Music Festival – Shanghai, China
- Forbidden City Concert Hall and Peking University – Beijing, China
- El Violin Festival – La Coruna, Spain
- Colours of India – Bangalore and Chennai, India
- ICCR Hall – Berlin, Germany
- Swarutsav – New Delhi, India
- De Bouche a oreille – Parthenay, France
- Theatre St Gilles – Reunion Island
- Rainforest World Music Festival – Malaysia
- Indishes Konzert – Heidelberg, Germany
- Theatre de la ville and Theatre Guimet – Paris, France
- Swaralaya – Kuwait
- Music Academy – Chennai, India
- Summer Guitar Festival – Wroclaw, Poland
- Flamenco International Festival – Prague, Czech Republic
- The fifth Cross-Culture Warsaw Festival – Warsaw, Poland
- Northfolk International Festival – Seattle, USA
- San Jose Center for the Performing Arts – San Jose, USA
- Lille 3000 – Lille, France
- Cemal Resit Rey Concert Hall – Istanbul, Turkey
- Millennium Park – Chicago, USA
- Ethno Port Poznan Festiwal – Poznan, Poland
- Lakshminarayana Global Music Festival – India