This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Gyanam, Vignana Sahitam|
Motto in English
|Knowledge along with Wisdom|
|Chancellor||Governor of Karnataka|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr.Venugopal K R|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU, ACU, DEC|
Bangalore University (BU) is a public state university located in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India. The university is a part of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) and affiliated by University Grants Commission (UGC). Bangalore University is accredited by the NAAC under the new grading system with a grade A in 2016.
Bangalore University is the largest university in South-Asia. It has two campuses:
- City Campus: Central College,
- Jnana Bharathi (JB) Campus.
The National Law School of India University is located within the Jnana Bharathi Campus.
Dr Venugopal K R. Has been appointed as the new Vice-Chancellor of BU, from 12 June 2018.
The former Vice-Chancellor (VC) was Prabhu Dev. He resigned in 13 October 2012 to accept the Karnataka government's offer of chairmanship of the Karnataka Health System Commission. Prabhu Dev's term was to end in February 2013. His predecessor H. A. Ranganath, too, resigned in 2008 to assume charge as Director of the National Assessment and Accreditation Council. B Thimme Gowda, professor in Chemistry, Mangalore University has been appointed as the new vice-chancellor who retired on 6 February 2017. Jagadeesh Prakash was then officiated the position till the appointment of new VC. As of December 2017[update], the VC is H.N. Ramesh.
With more than 650 affiliated colleges, the Karnataka government has decided to bifurcate, or 'carve out a new university' to ease management. To this effect, the state government had appointed two study groups. One group was headed by former Gulbarga University Vice-Chancellor N Rudraiah and another was a group formed by the Karnataka State Higher Education Council. The Rudraiah study suggested trifurcation of the university, while the Council suggested bifurcation.
However, the state government has decided to go ahead with trifurcation to create a North Bengaluru University (Chikkaballapur), South Bengaluru University (JB Campus), and Central Bengaluru University (Central college Campus).
In 2001, the university was accredited by NAAC and received Five Star Status. The university then once again reaccredited under the new grading system with a grade A. However, this expired in 2013 and Bangalore University have not renewed their accreditation since.
Sir C.V.Raman, Nobel Laureate physicist, was associated with the university while working at the Indian Institute of Science. He had announced his Nobel winning work at the university premises based in Central College, Bangalore in 1927. He was awarded the Nobel prize in 1930.
Professor Leonid Hurwicz who served Bangalore University as a Professor in Economics won the Nobel Prize in Economics in 2007. Professor Hurwicz served as a Professor of Economics at Bangalore University from 1965-1968. During his Fulbright year, he taught classes at Bangalore University.
In a first, the university in 2010 announced admissions for transgender people by reserving one seat in each PG course. Now, the University's admission forms feature a third category of gender, namely 'Others'.
A bio-park has been constructed and in the process, the students have acquired experience in land management for social forestry. The university, for the first time in the country, constructed an NSS Bhavan to promote such activities. Faculties of the Civil Engineering, Geology, Geography, Mathematics, Zoology, Botany and Microbiology have been involved in making Bio-park a reality. Rain water harvesting and ground water recharging are a part of Bio park as also aquaculture and ornithology.
The library of the university is located in the JB Campus and City Campus. The JB campus Library has a floor area of about 6500 square metres and has a collection of 325,000 volumes. It subscribes to 250 national and international journals and magazines (110 national journals, 62 international journals, 68 magazines).
Prasaranga is the publication unit of the university and is located at J.B. Campus. It publishes text books, university journals and periodicals. In the last 30 years it has published 800 textbooks and reference books in English as well as articles and Monographs in Kannada. The students of the communications department bring out a news journal. The activities are supported by the printing press of the university.
An inter-library exchange facility is available between the university and the libraries of other institutions located at Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Bangalore etc. The library has been computerised since 1992. The library provides reprographic facility, computers, audio, video cassette, internet and INFLIBNET Programme E and inter university loan facilities.
There is a Health Care Centre at J.B. Campus which is manned by two resident doctors; services of visiting specialised doctors are available.
At J.B. Campus there is a gymnasium with facilities for indoor games, basketball Courts, Kho Kho ground and swimming pool. At the Central College campus a cricket stadium consisting of turf wicket, basketball court, volleyball court and lawn tennis is available to students. Every year around 45 inter-collegiate sports competitions are held for men and women section. Nearly 100,000 students from 398 affiliated colleges participate in these sports events.
For inter university tournaments, committees of experts select the Bangalore University teams. The students are given incentives through scholarships, fellowships and fee concessions. They are also provided with placement assistance on the completion of their programmes. B.P.Ed. and M.P.Ed. students get stipend. Sports athletes of the University have competed at the State, Regional, National and International tournaments.
The University Science Instrumentation Centre located at Sneha Bhavan at the J.B. campus looks after the maintenance and servicing of the instruments of the user departments in the University. USIC also conducts refresher courses for college teachers and training for interested students.
There are welfare programmes initiated by the institutes like subsidised transport facility for the university staff and students, subsidised canteen facility, free medical aid and reimbursement of medical expenses including on hospitalization, loan facilities from GPF. The university stands guarantee for house building loans sanctioned by the HDFC and also all other nationalised banks and co-operative societies.
There are seven hostels on the J.B. Campus and three on the City campus. There are two men’s hostels at Tumkur and Kolar and one Ladies hostels at Kolar. Hostel canteens are managed by student prefects.
In the City Campus a Grievance Cell is attached to the Examination Wing of the University. Through the university's web-site redressal of grievance and clarification of queries pertaining to examinations, can be obtained.
The Bio-Park is a novel idea proposed on the 600 acres (2.4 km2) of land in the J.B.Campus. Rain Water harvesting and Watershed Management are initiated by the university on the J.B.Campus. The university has also a Robotics and cyber centre, a Yoga centre, and a Gandhian Studies centre.
The university is structured into six faculties- Arts, Science, Commerce & Management, Education, Law and Engineering. It has 43 Post Graduate Departments, a Postgraduate Centre at Kolar, (Started during 1994-95), three constituent colleges, 665 affiliated colleges (of which 115 have PG Courses) and several other Centres and Directorates of higher learning and research under its purview. At present, the university offers 50 Post Graduate Courses and Employment Oriented Diploma and Certificate Courses. The university has launched the five-year Integrated Courses in Biological Sciences, Social Sciences, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences and Business Studies and four-year B.S. programme.
Bangalore University conducts examination on semester basis twice a year. The Odd Semester Examination for all courses conducted in November and December and Even Semester exams in May–June. The Bangalore University results for odd semester announced in February and for the even semester in July.
|University and college rankings|
|General – international|
|QS (Asia) (2018)||245|
The Bangalore University Library has two wings, one in the Central College Campus which came into existence in 1858, and one at Jnana Bharathi Campus in 1966 with about 35,000 books.
Bangalore University has evolved a project called BALNET (Bangalore University Library Network program). The project has connected all the libraries in the university within the campus and in the affiliated colleges libraries within the digitalised system.
- Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
- Arun Pudur
- Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw
- Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya
- E P Metcalfe
- C. N. S. Iyengar
- H. Narasimhaiah
- T.V. Mohandas Pai
- C. Rajagopalachari
- C. Aswath
- Monisha Unni
- Deepti Divakar
- Vasant Honavar
- Nicole Faria
- Anushka Shetty
- Suhas K R
- Anushka Sharma
- Anjali Jay
- Ramesh Aravind
- Mano Murthy
- Pooja Umashankar
- V. P. Shetty
- Mamta Mohandas
- K. R. Sreenivasan
- Nirupama Rao
- Hospet Sumitra
- Sajeeb Wazed
- Mandyam Veerambudi Srinivasan
- Lakshmi Narayanan
- Manouchehr Mottaki
- CNR Rao
- Sargur Srihari
- N. Ahmed
- Geeta Rao Gupta
- Monica Bhide
- Lakshmi Menon
- Pushpamala N.
- Sajjan Jindal
- Sundaraja Sitharama Iyengar
- H. V. Sheshadri
- Anil Kumble
- Rahul Dravid
- Venkatesh Prasad
- Robin Uthappa
- Anaitha Nair
- Anita Pratap
- Indira Jaising
- Deepa Kumar
- V. Nagaraja
- Suryanarayanasastry Ramasesha
- Jayaraman Chandrasekhar
- Nagasuma Chandra
- N. Mahesh
- Acharya Institute of Management and Sciences
- St. Hopkins College, Bangalore
- Bangalore Management Academy
- College of Fine Arts, Bangalore
- Garden City College, Bangalore
- International Institute of Business Studies, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Kristu Jayanti College
- Millennium School Of Business
- KLE college, Bangalore
- Mount Carmel College, Bangalore
- National College, Bangalore
- Oxford College of Sciences
- Presidency College, Bangalore
- University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering
- SSMRV Degree College
- St. Joseph's College, Bangalore
- St. Joseph's College of Commerce
- Surana College, Bangalore
- Surana College, Bangalore
- Vanguard Business School, Bangalore
- List of universities in India
- Universities and colleges in India
- Education in India
- Distance Education Council
- University Grants Commission (India)
- University VC submits resignation New Indian Express Newspaper
- "Statutory Officers | Bangalore University". bangaloreuniversity.ac.in. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- "News18. com: CNN-News18 Breaking News India, Latest News, Current News Headlines". News18. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "Accreditation List". web5.kar.nic.in. Archived from the original on 18 November 2016. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- Bangalore University Reserves seat for transgender students YouTube.
- "Bangalore University lays out the welcome mat for transgenders - Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dnaindia.com. 18 July 2010. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "Bangalore University". www.bangaloreuniversity.ac.in. Archived from the original on 17 December 2012. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "QS Asian University Rankings 2018". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2017. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- "sjcalumni". www.sjc.ac.in. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "Daulton Capital enters into US$105 million forward gold sales contract with Dubai's Salam International - Business Intelligence Middle East - bi-me.com - News, analysis, reports". www.bi-me.com. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- Manjunath V.S. (September 2010). Entrepreneurship & Management. Pearson Education India. pp. 154–. ISBN 978-81-317-3250-2.
- "Drug Discovery India 2017 Speaker Biography". SELECTBIO. 17 January 2018. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- "College". bub.ernet.in. Archived from the original on 9 August 2011. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- "College". bub.ernet.in. Archived from the original on 9 June 2011. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- "College". bub.ernet.in. Archived from the original on 12 October 2010. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bangalore University.|