Ghulam Arieff Tipoo
Ghulam Arieff Tipoo
|Chief Prosecutor, International Crimes Tribunal|
|Assumed office |
25 March 2010
|Born||28 August 1931|
Chapainawabganj, Bengal Presidency, British India
|Alma mater||Rajshahi College|
|Awards||Ekushey Padak (2019)|
Ghulam Arieff Tipoo (born 28 August 1931) is a Bangladeshi jurist, freedom fighter and language movement activist. He is the Chief Prosecutor of the International Crimes Tribunal, a domestic war crimes tribunal in Bangladesh set up to investigate and prosecute suspects for the genocide committed during the Bangladesh Liberation War.
1952 Language Movement in Rajshahi area was organized mainly under his leadership. He was the joint convener of Rastrabhasa Sangram Parishad in that area. In recognition of his contribution to the Bengali language movement, the government of Bangladesh awarded him the country's second highest civilian award Ekushey Padak in 2019.
Tipoo was born on 28 August 1931 at Kamalakantapur village of Shibganj Upazila in Chapainawabganj of the then British India (now Bangladesh). He was the second son among the 9 children of his parents. He completed his Secondary School Certificate from Kaliachar school in 1948 and Higher Secondary School Certificate from Rajshahi College in 1950. He graduated from the same college in 1952. He earned his post graduation degree from Dhaka University. He was the General Secretary of Bangladesh Students Union from 1954 to 1956.
Tippo started his career as an advocate in 1958. He served as the President of Rajshahi Advocate Bar Association. He was one of the senate and syndicate members of Rajshahi University. He was also on the committee of Bangladesh Bar Council.
Tippo is married to Jahan Ara Chowdhury Lui in his personal life and the couple has three daughters and a son.
- "International Crimes Tribunal-1, Bangladesh". www.ict-bd.org. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "Justice done: Chief prosecutor". The Daily Star. 17 July 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "অ্যাডভোকেট গোলাম আরিফ টিপু একাধারে বিজ্ঞ আইনজীবী, ভাষাসৈনিক, মুক্তিযুদ্ধের সংগঠক". Maasranga TV. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "'ভারত-বাংলাদেশ সম্পর্ক রক্তের ঋণ'". Eisamay (in Bengali). 2 March 2019. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "21 awarded with Ekushey Padak 2019". Dhaka Tribune. 6 February 2019. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "PM hands over Ekushey Padak". The Daily Star. 20 February 2019. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "ভাষা সংগ্রামের অজানা অধ্যায়". Jugantor. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "স্মৃতির ক্যাম্পাসে একুশে পদকে ভূষিত ভাষা সৈনিক টিপু". Bangladesh Pratidin. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "ভাষাসৈনিক গোলাম আরিফ টিপু পেলেন একুশে পদক". dailysonardesh.com. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "ভাষাসৈনিক গোলাম আরিফ টিপু : আপাদমস্তক সংগ্রামী". RTV Online. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "একুশে পদক পাওয়ার কথা ছিল আরও আগে : গোলাম আরিফ টিপু". jagonews24.com. Retrieved 18 April 2019.