|Born||Chao Sze-Tsung Cecil
|Alma mater||University of Durham|
In 2012 Chao gained international attention when he offered $65 million to any man who could convince his lesbian daughter, Gigi, to marry her. Despite criticism, Cecil Chao remains unrepentant. In 2014 Cecil Chao increased his offer to $80 million to the man who would marry his daughter. Gigi responded publicly in an open letter printed in the South China Morning Post. They note that despite Gigi marrying her partner of nine years, Sean Eav, in a civil ceremony in France in 2012, her father still considers her single. She wrote, in part, "With Sean, a woman, I am comfortable and satisfied with my life … I know it's difficult for you to understand how I could feel romantically attracted to a woman; I suppose I can't really explain it either. It just happens, peacefully and gently, and after so many years, we still love each other very much. My regret is that you have no idea how happy I am with my life, and there are aspects of my life that you don't share. I suppose we don't need each other's approval for our romantic relationships, and I am sure your relationships are really fantastic too. Now, I'm not asking you to be best of friends; however, it would mean the world to me if you could just not be so terrified of her, and treat her like a normal, dignified human being."
- "Cheuk Nang Holdings Ltd (131:Hong Kong)". Business Week. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- Hong Kong's Sex Rumours Exposed, HK Magazine, 13 February 2014
- "Hong Kong Billionaire Offers $65 Million To Any Man Who Can Woo His Gay Daughter". Business Insider. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Gigi Chao – reluctant celebrity". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "'I'm not forcing Gigi,' stunned Cecil Chao says of marriage bounty". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Hong Kong billionaire Cecil Chao 'doubles marriage bounty to £80m' for man who marries his lesbian daughter". The Independent. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Who Is Gigi Chao? Billionaire Cecil Chao's Daughter Annoyed With Dad's 'Marriage Bounty'". International Business Times. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Hong Kong tycoon's daughter defends sexuality in letter". BBC. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- Lesbian Gigi Chao Responds to Father Who is Offering $130 Million for Male Suitor: VIDEO. Towleroad
- Dear Daddy, you must accept I’m a lesbian: Gigi Chao pens plea in open letter to tycoon father. South China Morning Post
|This Hong Kong biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|