|Occupation||Partner at Sequoia Capital & Cyberstarts|
Gili Raanan (born 1969) is an Israelli inventor who is one of the inventors of CAPTCHA (US patent application with 1997 priority date ), the WAF (web application firewall) and many other inventions in the fields of application security and discovery. Raanan started Sanctum in 1997, and invented the first Web application firewall AppShield and the first Web application penetration testing software AppScan. He later started NLayers which was acquired by EMC Corporation pioneering the science of Application discovery and understanding. He is an investor and a General Partner at Sequoia Capital, the Founder of Cyberstarts, and was a board member at Adallom, Armis Security, Onavo and Snaptu.
Gili Raanan was born in Kfar Saba, Israel. He earned a Bachelor of Computer Science In 2002 from the Tel Aviv University, he received a Master of Business Administration degree from the Recanati School of the Tel Aviv University.
As part of the research on Application Security Raanan co-invented CAPTCHA, as described in the patent application "The invention is based on applying human advantage in applying sensory and cognitive skills to solving simple problems that prove to be extremely hard for computer software. Such skills include, but are not limited to processing of sensory information such as identification of objects and letters within a noisy graphical environment".
In 2009 Raanan joined Sequoia Capital in Israel as a General Partner. Raanan was a board member at Adallom, Onavo and Snaptu. In 2018 Raanan founded Cyberstarts  which is an early stage VC focused on Cybersecurity.
- "Method and system for extracting application protocol characteristics". 1999-07-01. Cite journal requires
- "Method and system for dynamic refinement of security policies". 2002-12-31. Cite journal requires
- "Method and system for discriminating a human action from a computerized action". 2004-03-01. Cite journal requires
- "Sanctum | CrunchBase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- Weinberg, Neal. "Sanctum's AppShield". Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- "Quick Takes: AppScan release secures Web applications". Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- "CMDBs: An IT Goldmine?". 2007-01-19. Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- "Sequoia - Gili Raanan". Sequoia Capital. Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- "Sequoia Israel Partner Launches New $50 Million Cybersecurity Fund". CTECH - www.calcalistech.com. 2018-04-12. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- Shamah, David. "Microsoft to acquire Israeli start-up Adallom for $320m". www.timesofisrael.com. Retrieved 2020-01-11.
- "Insight buys IoT security co Armis at $1.1b valuation". en.globes.co.il (in Hebrew). 2020-01-07. Retrieved 2020-01-11.
- Russell, Jon. "Facebook Takes Internet.org And Its Free Mobile Data Services To India". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- "Gili Raanan: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- "Method and system for discriminating a human action from a computerized action". Eran Reshef, Gil Raanan, Eilon Solan, Watchfire Corp, International Business Machines Corp. 2004-03-01. Cite journal requires
|journal=(help)CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Gili Raanan Joins Sequoia Capital - PE Hub". 2009-03-18. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- "Israeli cybersecurity VC fund CyberStarts raises $50m". Globes (in Hebrew). Retrieved 2018-11-02.
- "When a startup is rocket science, for real". www.linkedin.com. Retrieved 2019-04-05.