The Gimme! Coffee bar on North Cayuga Street in Ithaca, New York, opened in 2000.
|Headquarters||Ithaca, New York|
Gimme! Coffee is a coffee roaster and third-wave coffee shop, based in New York, with espresso bars in Ithaca and Trumansburg. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Gimme! announced the permanent closure of the Manhattan and Brooklyn based locations and also began an Ithaca-area delivery service. Gimme! Coffee also has a wholesale service that caters to coffee and espresso establishments. In January 2020, Colleen Anunu replaced founder Kevin Cuddeback as CEO after serving 20 years in the role.
A focus at Gimme is to form relationships with farmers who grow coffee. As part of this bond between consumer and producer, the farmer may receive a price premium, which in turn, can help them improve their operations. For example, since 2009, Gimme has worked with a farmer in Colombia, helping the producer to attain organic certification and win awards.
In 2006, the New York Times named Gimme! Coffee among the best espresso bars in New York City. Gimme! Coffee received a Good Food Award, in the coffee category, for 2011 and 2012. Roast magazine chose Gimme! Coffee as winner of their 2013 Roaster of the Year contest (macro category). Dark Forest Chocolate collaborated with Gimme! Coffee to make an espresso based chocolate bar that won a Good Food Award in 2019.
In May 2017, the upstate New York Gimme employees formed a union through the Tompkins County Workers' Center. In February 2018, the group ratified its first union contract. It is the first known baristas union with an aim at paying workers a living wage, ensuring the workers are not fired without just cause, and guaranteeing an excellent work environment.
In August 2014, Gimme! opened an espresso bar in Gates Hall on Cornell University main campus.
Subsequently, in 2017 an agreement was reached with Ithaca College to begin serving Gimme Coffee on campus.
- Burke, Stephen P. "Gimme! Coffee: to Go (From NYC)". Ithaca Times. Retrieved 2020-06-15.
- "Gimme! Coffee's Instagram photo: "Snow day in April? Stay in bed. Order delivery at delivery.gimmecoffee.com Walking in the snow? Follow these simple rules: order online,…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-06-15.
- "Inquire about Wholesale".
- "New Gimme! Coffee CEO talks union, future of the company". The Ithaca Voice. 2020-03-03. Retrieved 2020-06-15.
- "Finca San Luis and the new mill project".
- "Good Food Awards - Coffee - 2011". Archived from the original on 2013-12-13.
- "Gene to Bean to Global Scene". College of Agriculture and Life Sciences - International Programs - Cornell University. 14 November 2013. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Peter Meehan (September 13, 2006). "Espresso's New Wave Hits Town". The New York Times.
- Good Food Awards, January 2011
- Good Food Awards, January 2012
- Roast Magazine, November 2012
- "Dark Forest Chocolate and Gimme! Coffee collaborate on a Coffee and Dark Chocolate Bar". Buffalo Rising. 2018-03-18. Retrieved 2020-06-15.
- "AWARDS". dfcm. Retrieved 2020-06-15.
- "Gimme Coffee Baristas Ratify First Union Contract, Boosting Wages With Management Support | The Cornell Daily Sun". cornellsun.com. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- "Gimme! Coffee Baristas Vote (94 to 6%) to Organize Union in Workplace – Tompkins County Workers' Center". www.tcworkerscenter.org. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- "Gimme! Coffee baristas ratify first union contract". The Ithaca Voice. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- "Courtyard Café is abuzz with a new brew" by Franklin Crawford, Cornell Chronicle, March 2005
- "Masters of the Bean" by Brendan Vaughan, Chow, September 2005
- "New Roastery Eases Growing Pains" by Katherine Graham, The Ithaca Journal, August 16, 2006
- "Best U.S. Coffee Bars" by Nick Pandolfi, Food & Wine, September 2008