|Sean O'Driscoll (Chairman)|
radio and cooking equipment, etc.
|Revenue||€1.5 billion (2004)|
Number of employees
GlenDimplex (formerly known as Glen Electric) is an Irish-based consumer electrical goods firm headquartered in Dublin, Ireland. It is the world's largest electrical heating business. With an annual turnover of €1.5 billion, the group employs 8,500 people. The company is privately held, with manufacturing and development centres in the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom, China and many other locations around the world. The company also has branches in North America, Germany, Holland, Japan, Poland, Belgium, France, Australia and Scandinavia. The company was founded by Martin Naughton, and is wholly owned by him after he bought out the other shareholders in 2003.
The company was incorporated on August 23, 1973Newry, Northern Ireland, an electric heater manufacturer with ten employees, and it was founded as GlenDimplex on June 7, 1978 due to a merger with Dimplex, a large electric heating appliance manufacturer, on May 6, 1977 . Morphy Richards and Burco Dean Appliances were acquired by the Glen Dimplex Group in 1985 and were based in Mexborough near Doncaster, England. Creda was acquired by the group in 1987. Belling was acquired in 1992, Roberts Radio in 1994, Goblin Vacuum Cleaners 1998, LEC Refrigeration in 2005, Robinson Willey in 2010, Valor in 2011, and Real Flame Australia in 2016. Dimplex was the shirt sponsor of Southampton Football Club from 1993 until 1995.as Glen Electric in
Brands and acquisitions
|Name of brand (or company)||Industry and/or centered products||Year acquired or merged (if applicable)|
|Electric fireplaces, heating||1977|
|Goblin Vacuum Cleaners||Vacuum cleaners||1998|
|EWT Elektrogerate||Electric panel heaters, fireplaces||1999|
|New World||Cooking appliances||2001|
|RXG Redring Xpelair
(Koolant and Schrieber merged to
form Dimplex Thermal Solutions)
|Electric water heating solutions||2006|
|Masport Heating||Wood and gas burning cast iron stoves||2008|
|Britannia Living Appliances||Cooking appliances||2013|
|Real Flame Australia
|Electric and gas fireplaces||2016|
|Carmen Personal Care||Personal care||Not applicable|
Research and innovation
GlenDimplex uses its own design teams and R&D facilities. The group is actively involved in numerous major demonstration projects around the world including:
- RealValue is a €15.5m Horizon 2020 European Project which is using a combination of physical demonstrations in Ireland, Germany and Latvia along with innovative modelling techniques, in order to demonstrate how local small-scale energy storage, optimised across the whole EU energy system, with advanced ICT, could bring benefits to all market participants.
- ACCESS (Assisting Communities to Connect to Electrical Sustainable Sources) is an project which will enable the real time matching of local renewable electricity generation to local electricity demand in off-gas-grid properties in order to use renewable energy to heat homes efficiently and affordably.
- NINES (Northern Isles New Energy Solutions ) aims to address some of the most pressing energy challenges in Shetland by using large and small scale energy storage solutions combined with an active network management (ANM) system to create a smart grid and allow small scale renewable generation to play a much more significant role in meeting the islands’ energy needs.
- PowerShift Atlantic demonstrated one of the world’s first fully grid-integrated virtual power plants designed to allow for more effective integration of wind power, using load and wind forecasting and aggregation capabilities to perform near real-time load shifting and provide new ancillary services to the grid.
- The Greenway is a collaborative venture established in 2010 by industry, academic institutions and public/semi-state players in the Dublin region, whose vision is to create jobs and trade opportunities by activating and developing an internationally recognised cleantech cluster.
- Stanton, Jamie. "Worldwide Businesses — Glen Dimplex". www.glendimplex.com. Retrieved 2017-02-04.
- "Glen Dimplex Nordic". Glendimplex.no. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Glen Dimplex Brazil Branch". Glendimplex.no. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "GLEN ELECTRIC LIMITED - Overview (free company information from Companies House)". beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 2017-06-12.
- "GLEN DIMPLEX NI LIMITED - Overview (free company information from Companies House)". beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 2017-06-12.
- Stanton, Jamie. "About Us — Glen Dimplex". www.glendimplex.com. Retrieved 2017-06-12.
- "GDC GROUP LIMITED - Overview (free company information from Companies House)". beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- "About Dimplex". www.dimplex.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-06-15.
- Nichols, T.; Cam, S. (2005-06-10). Labour in a Global World: Case Studies from the White Goods Industry in Africa, South America, East Asia and Europe. Springer. ISBN 9780230512320.
- "Belling bought by Glen Dimplex". 1 July 1992.
- "GLEN DIMPLEX ACQUIRES ROBERTS RADIO".
- "Glen Dimplex move good news for Goblin Ireland - Independent.ie".
- "Glen Dimplex buys fridge maker LEC - Independent.ie".
- "Robinson Willey saved - Builders' Merchants News".
- "Spare parts deal delivers more power to showers - Builders' Merchants News".
- Glen Dimplex Australia. "Real Flame acquisition takes Glen Dimplex to the top in Australia’s heating and fireplace market". Architecture Design. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- "Burco - Glen Dimplex Ireland". www.glendimplexireland.com. Retrieved 2017-06-12.
- "About - Lec/Burco Commercial". Lec/Burco Commercial. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- "Glen Dimplex buys electric heating firm in Germany". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- "Glen Dimplex buys Dutch company for undisclosed sum". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2017-06-12.
- "UK buy a first for Glen Dimplex". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2017-06-12.
- "New-World - Glen Dimplex Ireland". www.glendimplexireland.com. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- "Glen Dimplex moves into Scandinavian market with NOBO Electro purchase". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2017-06-12.
- "Dimplex taps into bathroom by buying Galaxy Showers - Independent.ie". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- "Redring Xpelair Group Ltd | About Us". www.redringxpelair.com. Retrieved 2017-06-12.
- "Glen Dimplex Acquires Koolant Koolers & Schreiber Engineering to form DIMPLEX THERM". news.thomasnet.com. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- "Masport Heating Wood Fires available from Glen Dimplex Australia | Architecture And Design". Architecture And Design. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- "Glen Dimplex Group integrates three brands into new division". www.heatingandventilating.net. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- Ltd, Insider Media. "Rescue deal saves Britannia Living jobs". Insider Media Ltd. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- Ltd, Insider Media. "More details emerge of Britannia administration". Insider Media Ltd. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- "Glen Dimplex Group acquires Britannia Living Appliances". www.kbbdaily.com. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- Stanton, Jamie. "Acquisition of Britannia Living Appliances — Glen Dimplex".
- "Glen Dimplex acquires a new flame - Appliance Retailer". Appliance Retailer. 2016-02-01. Retrieved 2017-06-12.
- "Walker". www.walker.ie. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- Stanton, Jamie. "Glen Dimplex Group acquires Technika, Australia — Glen Dimplex". www.glendimplex.com. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- "About our Sponsors". www.seai.ie. Retrieved 2016-05-16.
- "€15.5m project to deliver ‘RealValue’ to future energy storage | Renewable Energy Installer". www.renewableenergyinstaller.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-05-16.
- "Electricity Load Control Demonstration | Natural Resources Canada". www.nrcan.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-05-16.
- "Esave Corporation – The Green Way". www.esavecorp.com. Retrieved 2016-05-16.