GoodGuide.Com is an online web, iPhone app and Android app tool which enables consumers to retrieve evaluations of the health, environmental, and social impacts of consumer products such as toys, food, and detergents.
Through its website, online toolbar and smartphone application, GoodGuide provides tools that can enable consumers to make purchasing decisions on the basis of the health, environmental and social impact of a product’s life cycle. These products are designed to provide consumers with this information right at the point of sale, to help them to apply their values to their purchases. The GoodGuide smartphone app reads the bar codes on product labels using the phone's camera, and provides a summary of the product's score according to GoodGuide's rating system.
As an internet startup, GoodGuide raised $3.73 million in its first round of funding reported January, 2009 and $5.5 million in its second round reported June, 2009 from venture capitalists. As of May 31, 2010, according to Alexa Internet the website ranked about 50,000 worldwide, but about 20,000 in the United States.
In December 2009 testing of Zhu Zhu Pets done by GoodGuide reported more than the allowed level of the toxic metal antimony in the toy Mr. Squiggles. After doing a review, regulators from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said that the toy was within the "very protective" Federal mandatory standard. GoodGuide subsequently was forced to issue an apology saying their testing methods were different from the federal standards.
For each listed product the site generates 3 ratings, a health rating, an environmental ratings, and a social rating. GoodGuide databases include the energy and resource consumed plus the pollution produced in manufacturing the product, the nutritional value of foods, the agricultural and animal husbandry practices, and the corporate sponsorship of social and political philanthropy.
Reviews and awards
- List of websites about food and drink
- Ethical consumerism
- Sustainable seafood advisory lists and certification
- Seafood Watch
- Green brands
- Fair trade
- Guide to Green Companies Better World Shopping Guide
- GoodGuide for Android in Google Play (Retrieved April 4, 2012)
- "On Web and iPhone, a Tool to Aid Careful Shopping" article by Claire Cain Miller in The New York Times
- About GoodGuide
- "New iPhone Application From GoodGuide Lets Users Scan Barcodes to Get Health, Environment and Social Responsibility Ratings While in the Store". 18 Nov 2009.
- Todd Woody (28 Nov 2009). "GoodGuide scanner makes healthy food shopping point and click". Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- "GoodGuide raises $3.73M for ethical shopping" article by Anthony Ha on VentureBeat, January 19, 2009
- "GoodGuide Received $5.5 Million in Series B Funding in June 2009" on Green VC
- Alexa data for GoodGuide.Com
- "Go Go Hamster toy Mr Squiggles is safe, Cepia insists". BBC News. December 7, 2009. Retrieved December 8, 2009.
- Chang, Andrea (December 8, 2009). "Zhu Zhu Pets are safe, U.S. agency says". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 18, 2011.
- "Group corrects statement about safety of hot toys". Associated Press. December 8, 2009. Retrieved June 3, 2010.
- GoodGuide’s Methodology
- "Claim Your Network". Yammer. Retrieved 2008-09-10.