|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Past members||Andrew Charters |
Goodnight, Sunrise is a Canadian alternative rock band formed in Toronto, Ontario, Canada in 2011. The band is characterized by their energetic live show, dual male-female lead vocals, and eclectic musical influences.
Goodnight, Sunrise was formed in 2011 by David Kochberg and Vanessa Vakharia who had both played in Toronto band The Big Deal. Along with friend and former Glueleg bassist Andrew "Chowder" Charters, they recorded their first EP Fragments as a three piece. The addition of drummer Paul Weaver in February 2012 completed the four member group, leading into their first festival performance at the 2012 Canadian Music Week.
The group's first full-length album Create/Destroy/Create was released in March 2013 and co-produced by Kochberg and sound engineer Chris Sampson. The 9 song pseudo-concept album demonstrated the band's eclectic influences and drew upon cyclical themes of introspection, self-destruction, and redemption. The album artwork, an intricate ambigram design, was designed by Polish artist Daniel Dostal. Create/Destroy/Create received consistent radio play across Canada throughout Summer 2013, from British Columbia  to Ontario.
In December 2013, Goodnight, Sunrise followed Create/Destroy/Create with the first in an ongoing series of split-singles. Unlike most of the band's album songs in which Kochberg and Vakharia share lead vocals, the D/V series feature one song by each of them (resulting in a "Side D" with David on lead and a "Side V" with Vanessa). D/V 1: Deaf Ears was recorded in Lucan, Ontario at Swamp Songs Studios and mastered by Noah Mintz at Lacquer Channel Mastering. This was followed by D/V 2: Bridgeburner in July 2014, recorded with new bassist Thor Thunders after the amicable departure of Charters. Thunders departed at the end of 2014, and the band recruited Pedro Salles (formerly of Brazilian band Avec Tristesse). In September 2015 the band completed a 20-date tour of Eastern Canada to support the release of Deal With It, the first single from their upcoming 2nd album. The second single, "Familiar Faces", was released in July 2016, and the Sept 2016 Falling Awake album release was supported by a 17-date tour across Ontario, the United Kingdom, and a final show in Amsterdam.
With their blend of classic rock and indie synth pop, the music of Goodnight, Sunrise shows a range of influences such as Florence + The Machine, Muse, Metric, CHVRCHES, and Foo Fighters, and the dual male-female lead vocals of Kochberg and Vakharia are reminiscent of bands like Of Monsters and Men and July Talk. The band has toured throughout Canada, the US and Europe, and has performed at Canadian Music Week, North by Northeast, and Indie Week Europe.
In May 2018, Goodnight, Sunrise was selected by Q107 to be the opening act for Bon Jovi at the Air Canada Centre on May 12. This was followed by a cross-Canada summer tour supporting their new single "Runaways" with performances at Evolve Festival, Riverfest Elora, and Dawson City Music Festival in Dawson City, Yukon. In November 2018 they released their first recorded cover, a modern pop-rock version of Gordon Lightfoot's acoustic ballad "Song for a Winter's Night".
- Current line-up
- David Kochberg – guitar, lead vocals (2011–present)
- Vanessa Vakharia – keytar, keyboards, lead vocals (2011–present)
- Past members
- Andrew Charters – bass guitar, backing vocals (2011-2014)
- Pedro Salles – bass guitar, backing vocals (2015–2016)
- Thor Thunders – bass guitar, backing vocals (2014)
- Paul Weaver – drums (2012–2018)
- Quincy Yip – drums (2011)
- Fragments (2011)
- D/V 1: Deaf Ears (2013)
- D/V 2: Bridgeburner (2014)
- Remember Now (2017)
- Runaways (2018)
- Song for a Winter's Night (2018)
- Catch Up (2019)
- "The iNDiE Machine - New Release- GOODNIGHT, SUNRISE FRAGMENTS". 15 November 2011. Archived from the original on 1 April 2014.
- "iTunes - Music - Create/Destroy/Create by Goodnight, Sunrise". iTunes. 8 March 2013.
- "Create/Destroy Create - ambigram". 13 March 2013.
- "CFBX 92.5FM - Kamloops BC :Top 30". 21 May 2013.
- "CFMU 93.3 FM - Hamilton ON :Top 30". 26 March 2013.
- "Swamp Songs Recording Studio - Clients". 2 April 2014.
- "iTunes - Music - D/V 1: Deaf Ears - Single by Goodnight, Sunrise". iTunes. 3 December 2013.
- "Feature: Who's Playing NXNE- Goodnight, Sunrise". Torontoist. 17 June 2012.
- Zinger, Sarah (May 9, 2018). "Congratulations To The Opening Act For Bon Jovi - Goodnight, Sunrise!". Q107.com. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "Indie88 Premiere: Goodnight, Sunrise release indie rock cover of 'Song for a Winter's Night' | Indie88". Retrieved 2018-11-19.