Hernandez with the San Francisco Giants in 2016
|San Francisco Giants – No. 66|
September 7, 1987 |
|May 21, 2012, for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2016 season)
|Runs batted in||17|
Gorkys Gustavo Hernández Lugo (born September 7, 1987) is a Venezuelan professional baseball outfielder for the San Francisco Giants of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has also played in MLB for the Pittsburgh Pirates and Miami Marlins.
Hernandez signed with the Detroit Tigers in April 2005. In 2007, as a member of the West Michigan Whitecaps, he was named a Midwest League Mid-Season and Post-Season All-Star, was named Midwest League MVP, and competed in the All-Star Futures Game for the World Team. On October 29, 2007, Hernández was traded by the Detroit Tigers along with pitcher Jair Jurrjens to the Atlanta Braves in exchange for shortstop Édgar Rentería.
Hernández was listed as the fifth-best prospect in the Atlanta Braves organization by Baseball America. before the 2008 season. On June 3, 2009, the Braves traded Hernández along with Charlie Morton and Jeff Locke to the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for Nate McLouth.
On May 18, 2012, he was called up to the big league club. He made his major league debut on May 21, and struck out as a pinch hitter. On May 27, he got his first major league hit, a 2-run single off Chicago Cubs pitcher Michael Bowden.
Kansas City Royals
Chicago White Sox
Return to the Pirates
Hernández rejoined the Pirates on December 1, 2014, agreeing to a minor league deal that included an invitation to spring training. On June 28, 2015, Gorkys Hernández was called up to the majors and started in right field.
San Francisco Giants
On April 4, 2017, in his first game of the season against Arizona Diamondbacks (started in place of regular centerfielder Denard Span) he had career high four RBIs.
Awards and honors
- Gulf Coast League Post Season All-Star (2006)
- Midwest League All-Star (2007)
- 3x All-Star Futures Game participant (2007, 2008, 2010)
- Midwest League MVP (2007)
- Midwest League Postseason All-Star (2007)
- Midwest League All-Star (2008)
- Bowman, Mark (October 29, 2007). "Braves get two prospects for Renteria". MLB.com. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Tigers deal two prospects to Braves for Renteria". ESPN.com. Associated Press. October 30, 2007. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- Ballew, Bill (November 5, 2007). "Top 10 Prospects: Atlanta Braves". Baseball America. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Braves Acquire Outfielder Nate McLouth from Pittsburgh". MLB.com. June 3, 2009. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Pirates land 1B Gaby Sanchez". ESPN.com. Associated Press. July 31, 2012. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- Dutton, Bob (July 22, 2012). "No limitations on Royals' Getz just two days after wrenching knee". Kansas City Star. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- Rodriguez, Juan C. (July 23, 2012). "Marlins' Ozuna to see hand specialist for jammed left thumb". Sun Sentinel. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Kansas City Royals - PlayerWatch". GlobalPost. Thomson Reuters. July 23, 2013. Retrieved December 2, 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "Royals sign six players to Minor League contracts for 2014". MLB.com. November 23, 2013. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- Padilla, Doug (April 10, 2014). "Trade gives White Sox OF depth". ESPN Chicago. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- "Knights Announce Flurry of Roster Moves". MILB.com. June 12, 2014. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Rays trade utilityman Sean Rodriguez to Pirates". ESPN.com. Associated Press. December 1, 2014. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- Haft, Chris (August 23, 2016). "Blanco lands on DL with right shoulder injury". MLB.com. Retrieved August 24, 2016.