Grand Central, St. Petersburg, Florida
Grand Central is an arts-entertainment district in St. Petersburg, Florida, located on Central Avenue two miles west of Downtown. It is located within the boundaries of Kenwood Historic District, a neighborhood of St. Pete. This locale was voted among the 10 best "cottage communities" in America by Cottage Living. Many new businesses have opened in the area, with a large influx from the creative class. The area is also known as a bastion for St. Pete's LGBT community, including gay-friendly nightlife. The annual St. Pete Pride event is held here, which is the largest single-day event for the whole city as well as the largest gay pride parade in all of Florida. The event attracts tens of thousands of people to the area. Hillsborough County Commissioner Kevin Beckner, the first openly gay elected official in the region, was named Grand Marshal for the 2009 parade. Besides Pride, the neighborhood also hosts a weekly "Peddler's Market", similar to a more elaborate Farmers' market. Some controversy is brewing in the neighborhood regarding the marginalization of existing social services centers, and over a flag-hanging ordinance.
- GaYbor, gay village located across the bay in Ybor City
- Gulfport, beachside town known for its colorful ambiance and culinary scene
- Old Northeast, historic neighborhood in St. Pete adjacent to Downtown to the northeast
- SoHo, entertainment district across the bay in Tampa
- [dead link]
- Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours (2009-05-29). "Flag fracas tells a lot about St. Petersburg's relationship to gay community - Tampa Bay Times". Tampabay.com. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- "We've got the top Tampa bars, nightclubs for you -- all 100". Tampa Bay Times. June 25, 2009. Retrieved June 10, 2012.
- Warner, David (2009-06-22). "Hail to the Queens: Queenshead bar opens in Grand Central today (video) | Daily Loaf". Blogs.creativeloafing.com. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- "Southpinellas: Whole lotta St. Pete Pride". Sptimes.com. 2007-06-27. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours. "St. Pete Pride clashes with city over display of rainbow banners - Tampa Bay Times". Tampabay.com. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- "Street closures set for St. Pete Pride". WTVT. June 25, 2009. Retrieved June 10, 2012.
- "St. Pete Pride co-chairman calls County Commissioner Kevin Beckner a hero | Tampa Bay politics blog: Bay Buzz | Tampa Bay Times". Blogs.tampabay.com. 2009-06-25. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours. "Grand Central District offers Sunday Peddler's Market - Tampa Bay Times". Tampabay.com. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- "Neighborhoodtimes: Grand Central culture clash". Sptimes.com. Retrieved 2012-06-10.