Lydiard Park Academy
|Location||Grange Park Way
|DfE URN||137264 Tables|
|Colours||Navy & Gold|
Lydiard Park Academy, formerly known as Greendown Community School, is a mixed sex comprehensive secondary school for students aged between 11 and 18 years. It is situated in the Grange Park area of Swindon, England, adjacent to Lydiard Country Park. The school has been awarded dual specialist status as a Sports College and Maths and Computing College. As of January 2014[update], there were 1064 students enrolled at the school. It changed to an Academy in September 2011.
From September 2014 the academy will have a sixth form, taking students into year 12 year 13 from September 2015.
The uniform of the school consists of a blazer with a white shirt and a gold/navy striped clip-on tie. Currently there is a consultation taking place through the school leadership council to investigate whether the upper school should have a plain gold clip-on tie. A navy v-neck jumper with the school logo is optional.
The school opened in 1986, along with the area being built. In the late 1990s the school was getting more pupils and so it needed some extra accommodation. This led to a prefabricated humanities block (which was sold off in 2011) and a prefabricated music block (which is still in use). Later the former humanities block was done up. The walls were thickened, the lino became carpet and air conditioning was added. In 2003 the school was getting more pupils and so a second sports hall was added and new maths classrooms were built. In 2010 the school added an ASD Centre (see main section below).
The school was the second in Swindon to gain a unit for children with forms of Autism, the first being Kingsdown. Work started in the summer of 2010 and it finally opened on November 5, 2010. Before this it was held in a room which has now been converted into an ordinary classroom.
The school was awarded specialist status in 2007 back when it was still known as Greendown, it is now a specialist college in Sport, Maths, and Computing. With the grant that was awarded, a School Gym was brought, a new astroturf was built, all computers in the school were upgraded and every mathematics classrooms were introduced with interactive whiteboards.
- Mathematics and Further Mathematics (KS3, 4 and 5)
- English Language, English Literature and Media Studies (KS3, 4 and 5)
- Science - Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Human Biology (A-level only)
- Physical Education (GCSE and BTEC)
- GCSE Business and A-level Economics and Business
- Geography/History/Religious Studies/Philosophy and Ethics/Law Sociology
- Drama/Art Textiles/Art/Music/Music Technology
- Spanish/French/Italian (Other minor languages are studied by few pupils.)
- Engineering/Home Economics/Catering
- Health and Social Care
- "Establishment: Greendown Community School". Edubase. Department for Education. Retrieved 21 January 2012.