Guy N. Smith
|Guy Newman Smith|
|Genre||Horror fiction, Fantasy, Children's literature, Non-fiction|
Guy Newman Smith (born 1939, Hopwas, Staffordshire) is a prolific English writer best known for his pulp fiction-style horror fiction, though he has also written non-fiction, soft-porn, and children's literature.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Selected bibliography
- 2.1 Werewolf series
- 2.2 Crab series
- 2.3 Truckers series
- 2.4 Sabat series
- 2.5 Thirst series
- 2.6 Deathbell series
- 2.7 Pit series
- 2.8 Writing as Jonathan Guy
- 2.9 Writing as Gavin Newman
- 2.10 Disney books
- 2.11 Softporn books
- 2.12 Other Novels
- 2.13 Non-Fiction
- 2.14 Short story collections
- 2.15 Chapbooks
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Smith wrote his first horror book, Werewolf by Moonlight in 1974. It spawned two direct sequels. He is probably best known for a series of six Crabs books, the first of which, Night of the Crabs, was published in 1976. The series chronicles invasions by giant, man-eating crabs of various areas of British coastline. In 1980 a film adaptation, Island Claws, came out.
The pulpish nature of Smith's concepts and writing are legendary in the horror fiction world, and have been spoofed by the award winning comedian and writer Matthew Holness in his Garth Marenghi persona.
Smith has had over a thousand short stories and magazine articles published. He has written a series of children's books under the pseudonym Jonathon Guy, two thrillers under the name Gavin Newman and a dozen non-fiction books on countryside matters. However, he is best known for his 70 or so horror books. The Penguin Enclopedia of Horror and the Supernatural considers that Smith's horror novels were "endearing, imbued with lively storytelling and the tacky brilliance of the horror and science fiction cinema of the 1950's". On the other hand, the horror critic R.S. Hadji included Smith's novel The Sucking Pit on his list of the worst horror novels ever written.
Smith's work mixes sex, violence, gore and self-conscious humour. Despite his reputation in some quarters as being a hack writer, Smith's novels enjoyed considerable popularity in Poland in the early 1990s, having been cheaply translated and published as pocket editions by the Phantom Press publishing house.
A lifelong pipe smoker, he won the British pipe smoking championship in 2003. He collects pipes and smoking ephemera and has also written a book on tobacco - Tobacco Culture: A DIY Guide . He is also an active pro-smoking campaigner. He is married to Jean and they have four adult children.
- Werewolf by Moonlight (1974)
- Return of the Werewolf (1976)
- The Son of the Werewolf (1978)
- Night of the Crabs (1976) 
- Killer Crabs (1978)
- The Origin of the Crabs (1979)
- Crabs on the Rampage (1981)
- Crabs' Moon (1984)
- Crabs: The Human Sacrifice (1988)
- Killer Crabs: The Return (2012)
Crab short stories
- Crustacean Vengeance (from Scare Care ed. Graham Masterton, Tor 1989)
- The Decoy (from Fear #13, 1990)
- The Crabs (from Peeping Tom, 1992)
- Crabs' Armada (from The Cadaver Chapbook)
- The Truckers 1: The Black Knights (1977)
- The Truckers 2: Hi-Jack! (1977)
- Blood Circuit (1983)
- Sabat 1: The Graveyard Vultures (1982)
- Sabat 2: The Blood Merchants (1982)
- Sabat 3: Cannibal Cult (1982)
- Sabat 4: The Druid Connection (1983)
- Dead Meat (1996) (omnibus of all 4 books plus two new Sabat stories, Vampire Village and Hellbeat)
- Thirst (1980)
- Thirst II: The Plague (1987)
- Deathbell (1980)
- Demons (1987)
- The Sucking Pit (1975)
- The Walking Dead (1984)
Writing as Jonathan Guy
- Cornharrow (1988)
- Badger Island (1993)
- Rak: The Story of an Urban Fox (1994)
- Pyne (1995)
- Hawkwood (1996)
Writing as Gavin Newman
- The Hangman (1994)
- An Unholy Way to Die (1999)
Novelizations of the classic Disney films. Paperback novels all originally published by New English Library in 1975 and reprinted by Pyramid Books in 1976 both with black and white drawings throughout.
- Sleeping Beauty (1975)
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1975)
- Song of the South (1975)
- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1975)
- Sexy Secrets of Swinging Wives, Part 1: The Partner Swappers (as Anonymous)
- Sexy Confessions of a Relief Nurse (as Wendy Davis)
- Sexy Confessions of a Games Mistress (as Joan Hudson)
- Sexy Confessions of a Bank Clerk (as Peter Lynch)
- Sexy Confessions of a Secretary (as Patricia Mathews)
- Sexy Confessions of a Pop Performer (as Alan Myatt)
- Sexy Confessions of a Window Cleaner (as Adrian Wood)
- The Slime Beast (1975)
- Der Ruf des Werwolfs (1976) (Originally printed in German only, Published by Erich Pabel as a part of their "Vampir Horror Roman")
- The Ghoul (1976) (based on the 1975 film The Ghoul)
- Bamboo Guerillas (1977)
- Bats Out of Hell (1978)
- Locusts (1979)
- Satan's Snowdrop (1980)
- Caracal (1980)
- Doomflight (1981)
- Warhead (1981)
- Entombed (1981)
- Manitou Doll (1981)
- Wolfcurse (1981)
- The Pluto Pact (1982)
- The Lurkers (1982)
- The Undead (1983)
- Accursed (1983)
- Throwback (1985)
- The Wood (1985)
- Abomination (1986)
- The Neophyte (1986)
- Snakes (1986)
- Cannibals (1986)
- Alligators (1987)
- Bloodshow (1987)
- Fiend (1988)
- The Island (1988)
- The Master (1988)
- The Camp (1989)
- The Festering (1989)
- Mania (1989)
- Phobia (1990)
- The Unseen (1990)
- Carnivore (1990)
- The Black Fedora (1991)
- The Resurrected (1991)
- The Knighton Vampires (1993)
- Witch Spell (1993)
- The Plague Chronicles (1993)
- The Dark One (1995)
- Dead End (1996)
- Water Rites (1997)
- The Pony Riders (1997)
- The Busker (1998)
- Deadbeat (2003)
- Blackout (2006)
- The Cadaver (2007)
- Maneater (2009)
- Nightspawn (2010)
- The Eighth Day (2011)
- Gamekeeping and Shooting for Amateurs (1976)
- Tobacco Culture: A DIY Guide (1977)
- Ferreting and Trapping for Amateur Gamekeepers (1978)
- Hill Shooting and Upland Gamekeeping (1978)
- Profitable Fishkeeping (1979)
- Ratting and Rabbiting for Amateur Gamekeepers (1979)
- Sporting and Working Dogs (1979)
- Animals of the Countryside (1980)
- Moles and Their Control (1980)
- The Rough Shooter's Handbook (1986)
- Practical Country Living (1988)
- Writing Horror Fiction (1996)
- Hunting Big Cats in Britain (2000)
Short story collections
- Horror Shorts: 1st Collection (June, 1999 by Bulldog Books) ISBN 0-9532701-1-4
- "Crustacean Vengeance" (a Crabs story)
- "The Brain Crawlers"
- "The Last Boot"
- "Hellfire" (a Sabat story)
- "Come Back, My Darling"
- "Hounds From Hades"
- "The Ghouls"
- "The Baby"
- "The Shooting on the Moss"
- "Wheels of Evil"
- "Curse of the White Rhinoceros"
- "The Hoax"
- Mystery & Horror Shorts: 1st Collection
- "The Suitcase"
- "The Island of Sweet Music"
- "The Doll"
- "The Act of God"
- "The Last Supper"
- "The Crabs"
- "Triple Death"
- "The Writing on the Wall"
- "The League of the Twisted Serpent"
- "The Piper Calls the Tune"
- "Until Death"
- "Dawn Rendezvous"
- "The Poacher"
- "The Scapegoat"
- "Converging Forces"
- "The Influencer"
- "The Grim Reaper" (a Black Fedora story)
- "President Seven"
- "Red Alert"
- "Chapters of Destiny"
- "The Book of Lies"
- Horror Shorts: 2nd Collection
- "The Crabs" (a Crabs story)
- "The Ginger Bear"
- "The Grim Reaper" (a Black Fedora story)
- "The Vampire Village" (a Sabat story)
- "Hollow Eyes"
- "Come On In and Join Us"
- "The Executioner"
- "Until Death"
- "Return to Innsmouth"
- "The Waiting Game"
- "Pocklington's Walk"
- Come On In and Join Us (Horror Express Publications)
- Crab's Armada (April 2009, Ghostwriter Publications)
- The Doll (April 2009, Ghostwriter Publications)
- The Decoy (April 2009, Ghostwriter Publications)
- Crabs: Unleashed (October 2009, Ghostwriter Publications)
- Limited Edition (December 2009, Ghostwriter Publications)
- "Interview with Guy N. Smith with the Monster Librarian".
- "Crab!". garthmarenghi.com. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- Sullivan (ed), Jack (1986). The Penguin Encyclopedia of Horror and the Supernatural. Viking. ISBN 0-670-80902-0.
- R.S. Hadji, "13 Worst Stinkers of the Weird", in Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone Magazine, May–June 1983. TZ Publications, Inc. (pp. 86-87).
- "Guy smokes rings round rivals". BBC News. 2003-06-08. Retrieved 2008-08-12.
- Smith, Guy N. (1977). Tobacco culture: a D. I. Y. guide. Hindhead, Eng: Spur Publications. ISBN 0-904558-28-2.
- Smith, Guy M. (1976). Night of the crabs. Sevenoaks, Kent: New English Library. ISBN 0-450-02942-5.
- Smith, Guy N. (1999). Mystery and horror shorts: 1st. Collection. Knighton, Powys: Bulldog books. ISBN 0-9532701-2-2.
- Smith, Guy N. (1999). Fifty tales from the Fifties. Knighton: Bulldog. ISBN 0-9532701-4-9.
- Smith, Guy N. (2000). Science fiction & horror shorts. Knighton, Powys: Bulldog books. ISBN 0-9532701-5-7.
- Smith, Guy N. (2001). Horror Shorts: 2nd Collection. Black Hill Books. ISBN 0-9532701-7-3.