HD 40307 g
HD 40307 g is an exoplanet orbiting in the habitable zone of HD 40307. It is located 42 light-years away in the direction of the southern constellation Pictor. The planet was discovered by the radial velocity method, using the European Southern Observatory's HARPS apparatus by a team of astronomers led by Mikko Tuomi at the University of Hertfordshire and Guillem Anglada-Escude of the University of Goettingen, Germany.
The codiscoverer Hugh Jones, of the University of Hertfordshire in England, surmised: "The longer orbit of the new planet means that its climate and atmosphere may be just right to support life." 
However, another astronomer, Rory Barnes of the University of Washington, had already studied the orbits of the planets b, c, and d. First, Barnes had presumed b to take on too much tidal heating for it to be terrestrial, instead predicting a "mini-Neptune". He thought that b, c, and d had all migrated inward, which extrapolates to e and f as well, which are further out, but not by much. It is possible that HD 40307 g has also migrated into where it is now. The discoverers of HD 40307 g did not try to refute Barnes, on the nature of b and its extrapolation to the other planets. The composition of g is unsettled. Lead author Mikko Tuomi, also of the University of Hertfordshire, stated "If I had to guess, I would say 50-50 ... But the truth at the moment is that we simply do not know whether the planet is a large Earth or a small, warm Neptune without a solid surface."
- Circumstellar habitable zone
- Extrasolar planet
- List of potentially habitable exoplanets
- Planetary habitability
- "HD 40307". SIMBAD. Centre de Données astronomiques de Strasbourg. 2008. Retrieved 18 June 2008.
- HD 40307, entry, CDS database J/A+A/450/735; described in Effective temperature scale and bolometric corrections from 2MASS photometry, E. Masana, C. Jordi, and I. Ribas, Astronomy and Astrophysics 450, #2 (May 2006), pp. 735–746. Bibcode: 2006A&A...450..735M. doi:10.1051/0004-6361:20054021.
- M. Mayor; S. Udry; C. Lovis; F. Pepe; D. Queloz; W. Benz; J.-L. Bertaux; F. Bouchy; C. Mordasini; D. Segransan (2009). "The HARPS search for southern extra-solar planets. XIII. A planetary system with 3 Super-Earths (4.2, 6.9, & 9.2 Earth masses)". Astronomy and Astrophysics. 493 (2): 639–644. arXiv:0806.4587. Bibcode:2009A&A...493..639M. doi:10.1051/0004-6361:200810451.
- HD 40307, database entry, Geneva-Copenhagen Survey of Solar neighbourhood, J. Holmberg et al., 2007, CDS database V/117A, accessed November 19, 2008; described in The Geneva-Copenhagen survey of the Solar neighbourhood. Ages, metallicities, and kinematic properties of ~14 000 F and G dwarfs, B. Nordström, M. Mayor, J. Andersen, J. Holmberg, F. Pont, B. R. Jørgensen, E. H. Olsen, S. Udry, and N. Mowlavi, Astronomy and Astrophysics 418 (May 2004), pp. 989–1019, Bibcode: 2004A&A...418..989N, doi:10.1051/0004-6361:20035959.
- Tuomi, Mikko; Anglada-Escude, Guillem; Gerlach, Enrico; Jones, Hugh R. R.; Reiners, Ansgar; Rivera, Eugenio J.; Vogt, Steven S.; Butler, R. Paul (2012). "Habitable-zone super-Earth candidate in a six-planet system around the K2.5V star HD 40307". Astronomy. 549: A48. arXiv:1211.1617. Bibcode:2013A&A...549A..48T. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201220268.
- PHL's Exoplanets Catalog - Planetary Habitability Laboratory @ UPR Arecibo
- Kopparapu, Ravi Kumar; Ramirez, Ramses; Kasting, James F; Eymet, Vincent; Robinson, Tyler D; Mahadevan, Suvrath; Terrien, Ryan C; Domagal-Goldman, Shawn; Meadows, Victoria; Deshpande, Rohit (2013). "Habitable Zones around Main-sequence Stars: New Estimates". The Astrophysical Journal. 765 (2): 131. arXiv:1301.6674. Bibcode:2013ApJ...765..131K. doi:10.1088/0004-637X/765/2/131.
- Brasser, R.; Ida, S.; Kokubo, E. (2014). "A dynamical study on the habitability of terrestrial exoplanets - II the super-Earth HD 40307 g". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. 440 (4): 3685. arXiv:1403.5868. Bibcode:2014MNRAS.440.3685B. doi:10.1093/mnras/stu555.
- "HEC: Data of Potential Habitable Worlds". University of Puerto Rico at Arecibo (Planetary Habitability Laboratory). November 12, 2012.
- Wall, Mike (November 7, 2012). "'Super-Earth' Alien Planet May Be Habitable for Life". Space.com. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Tate, Karl (November 7, 2012). "Super-Earth Planet: Potentially Habitable Alien World Explained (Infographic)". Space.com. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Murrin, Marc (November 8, 2012). "Astronomers discover a potentially habitable Super-Earth HD 40307g (Infographic)". tech-stew.com. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Barnes, R.; Jackson, B.; Raymond, S.; West, A.; Greenberg, R. (2009). "The HD 40307 Planetary System: Super-Earths or Mini-Neptunes?". The Astrophysical Journal. 695 (2): 1006–1011. arXiv:0901.1698. Bibcode:2009ApJ...695.1006B. doi:10.1088/0004-637X/695/2/1006.
- University of Toronto astronomer Ray Jayawardhana, author of Strange New Worlds: The Search for Alien Planets and Life beyond Our Solar System. Paraphrased in Dan Vergano (November 7, 2012). "Habitable zone 'Super Earth' candidate planet detected".
- "Super-Earth Discovered in Star's Habitable Zone". Exoplanets. 2017-05-10.