HMS Blake (1889)
|Namesake:||Admiral Robert Blake|
|Laid down:||July 1888|
|Launched:||23 November 1889|
|Reclassified:||Destroyer depot ship, 1907|
|Fate:||Sold for breaking up 9 June 1922|
|Class and type:||Blake-class protected cruiser|
|Beam:||65 ft (19.8 m)|
|Installed power:||20,000 ihp (14,910 kW)|
|Speed:||22 kn (25.3 mph; 40.7 km/h)|
|Complement:||570 officers and enlisted|
She was launched on 23 November 1889 at Chatham Dockyard, but not completed until 2 February 1892.
In October 1900 she was employed as a temporary transport ship; in early 1901 she was sent to Australia with Captain T. P. Walker and a crew, to relieve the crew on HMS Royal Arthur, flagship of the Australia Station. She returned to Plymouth with the former crew of Royal Arthur in June 1901, and was paid off at Devonport 15 July 1901 to be refitted.
She was later converted to a destroyer depot ship in 1907, serving through World War I as depot ship to the 11th Destroyer Flotilla of the Grand Fleet, and was finally sold for scrapping on 9 June 1922.
- (2001) Jane's Fighting Ships of World War I, pg. 89. Random House, London. ISBN 1-85170-378-0
- Ford, Roger (2001) The Encyclopedia of Ships, pg. 231. Amber Books, London. ISBN 978-1-905704-43-9
- "Naval and Military intelligence". The Times (36390). London. 28 February 1901. p. 6.
- "Naval & military intelligence". The Times (36489). London. 24 June 1901. p. 12.
- "Naval & Military intelligence". The Times (36508). London. 16 July 1901. p. 10.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8. OCLC 67375475.
- Roger Chesneau and Eugene M. Kolesnik, ed., Conway's All The Worlds Fighting Ships, 1860–1905, (Conway Maritime Press, London, 1979), ISBN 0-85177-133-5
- F.J. Dittmar & J. J. Colledge, British Warships 1914–1919, (Ian Allan, London, 1972), ISBN 0-7110-0380-7
- Jane's Fighting Ships of World War I. London: Random House Group, Ltd. 2001. p. 89. ISBN 1-85170-378-0.
- Ford, Roger; Gibbons, Tony; Hewson, Rob; Jackson, Bob; Ross, David (2001). The Encyclopedia of Ships. London: Amber Books, Ltd. p. 231. ISBN 978-1-905704-43-9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HMS Blake (ship, 1892).|